Check those Win 8.1 drivers

vbimport

I see that MSI is delivering Version 2 of their specific-for-Win-8.1 drivers, and that ASUS, ASROCK and BioStar are readying their Version 2 drivers, as well.

The clue was that just about every motherboard model has a specific W8.1 driver set, and all were dated within 10 days of Microsoft RTM date. Hmmm - that “speedy driver delivery” has traditionally been a “rushed” delivery, and sure enough, the Version 2’s will be available to compensate - maybe even fix flakey driver problems.

Too bad the world’s perfect OS that’s oh-so-silky had to remake drivers, too, and then has to re-remake them. Oh well… as long as it’s perfect-!

Did they not learn from Vista, i,m sure this is a DeJeVu moment :bigsmile:

ASUS said they’re not experiencing many problems unless LAN drivers are used with video-drivers from ATI-AMD, nVidia or Intel (!! - I’m trying to recall how many Matrox and Princeton Graphics cards I’ve seen for sale in the last few months), and sometimes it’s the HD-Audio drivers that create the intermittent conflicts. “It’s only when they’re activated,” is one service-announcement.

I think it was Win 3.1 that delivered the drivers that abrogated HP LaserJets, and it was Win 3.11 that Microsoft delivered shortly thereafter to re-fix that. HP was given some driver instructions, and supposedly Microsoft included the wrong file-set to the RTM diskette-makers. Unfortunately, since printer-drivers also included WYSIWYG font-and-display commands, it was kind of a big deal. And since LaserJets were about 90% of the printer market…

MSI’s drivers seem to be dated Nov 14, 2013 at this point, which is fairly quick delivery (a one-month anniv of Win 8.1’s retail release, then to hear about problems, then to discern they truly are problems, then to fix and test them - one month is pretty good. Hmmm - wonder if they had a head-start?)

The most telling sign is that every motherboard model I’ve traced has a separate driver-set for Win 8.1.

I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a Dot-Release or SP-Release that required new driver-sets. I wonder if there will be a unification set that will eventually be listed as “Win8.x”?

Somewhat off topic. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2710037]… I think it was Win 3.1 that delivered the drivers that abrogated HP LaserJets, and it was Win 3.11 that Microsoft delivered shortly thereafter to re-fix that. HP was given some driver instructions, and supposedly Microsoft included the wrong file-set to the RTM diskette-makers. Unfortunately, since printer-drivers also included WYSIWYG font-and-display commands, it was kind of a big deal. And since LaserJets were about 90% of the printer market…

The most telling sign is that every motherboard model I’ve traced has a separate driver-set for Win 8.1.

I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a Dot-Release or SP-Release that required new driver-sets. I wonder if there will be a unification set that will eventually be listed as “Win8.x”?[/QUOTE]
I’m happy you are with us on this forum [I]ChristineBCW[/I]. While reading your posts I’m almost laughing me to death… :bigsmile:

To your post. Windoze 3.1 and 3.11 did supported HP printers, problem was that HP didn’t produce any MS compatible lases printers at that time. IIRC the first “Laser Jet” HP printers were orienteted at Apple {named LaserWriter} at that time [in basic HP’s laser printers were copies off an Canon CX]. Xerox did produce laser printers and provided proper MS drivers thouh, since at least as of middle 1980’s and as early as for windoze 3.1. Remember my father had an Xerox laser printer around 1988.

But then, I don’t think that many people worryed abouth the missing MS W3.1 drivers support for laser printers because the cost for a laser printer at the beginning of 1990 was abouth 5000+ US$ in nowdays money value. :eek:
// off topic.

I was working in offices 1992 that had HP LaserJets, using WordPerf 5 and Win3.0 when they made the switch to 3.1 and all my lovely scripts to handle WP’s font-changes were first suspected. Then they discovered the drivers were the issue, after about 3 weeks of Microsoft denials. (I remember pealing open serial cables and using 2 then 4 wires to generate for-certain confirmed ACK signals. Yep - there they are! Now why won’t the signal’s commands be used?)

Ever go to computer conventions or developer conferences? I was one of those booth girls, so it was easy to stay smiling for hours while scanning crowds for the bad sort of developers who’d let me tag along and check out the really cool stuff.

That summer as 3.11 was nearing release, that’s when we started getting betas to run the Lasers again. And all my lovely scripts worked just fine.

I would trick HP printer developers to talk about this episode later that year, and they’d be quite miffed over this. Okidata, from the land of dot-matrix, had started up their 2nd or 3rd models of desktop lasers, were having great success and they’d fixed their drivers first so the Oki sales folks were crowing a month earlier.

Ah yes, those were the days. I doubt I could rig a serial cable to run Hubby’s iron lung, these days.

Pinto, you’d made me go back and read my LaserJet history. Oh yes, the LJIII was around by 1990 and the LJ4 showed up at the end of 1992, along with the long-promised/threatened add-in Ethernet card. Wheee… setting IP addresses by tap tap taps… but it was still better than TwinAx and Arcnet like I started with in the mid-80s, or that silly AppleTalk stuff. Stringing bobbins of phone line around our shoots, looking like we were making war films. “Medic! Medic! Someone tripped over our phone-lines again… we need better entrenching tools!” Hubby asked me if I knew who Vic Morrow was. No. Why? “Never mind… go back to stringing phone wires to the front-lines, back to the command post.” (I really prefer THE GALLANT MEN, anyway.)

Oh yeah, LJ IIIs were pretty terrific, and the 4s were really great. We still have the 4s around Hubby’s office, just so I can show how a real Compaq SLT 286 works.