Check camelcamelcamel to avoid Amazon Black Friday scams

vbimport

After hearing that most of Amazon’s Black Friday deals are basically Amazon and its sellers’ way of clearing stagnant sock with a handful of genuine deals in-between, I wondered if any sellers were raising prices leading up to the week to give a false impression of a Black Friday deal.

I was looking at various headphones and just for the curiosity checked a rather expensive pair of headphones as I thought I remember seeing in the ~£200 range just a few weeks ago. It’s about to go on a lightning deal, so just checked Camelcamelcamel… :eek:

This is just before it’s about to go on a Lightning Deal as I write, so am curious to see what the lightning price will be, even though I’ll not be going for these.

The Camelcamelcamel site has a browser add-on which shows the graph at the top right when its icon is clicked on an Amazon product page. For the website, you can just copy & paste the Amazon product page URL and it shows the graph.

Not only did they hike the price, the deal price is still the highest price since mid-2013, not to mention it’s Amazon (not a reseller) that did the sneaky price hike.

So that’s 4% conned . . .

That’s a brilliant tip Seán!

I’ve just used it to check a deal that I thought was too good to be true. Turns out it’s a genuine offer but this is a great way to check for sharp practices by Amazon.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Camelcamelcamel is a wonderful resource.

@Sean: Inflating the before price like that is not just immoral, but illegal. With such clear evidence you should report them to Advertising Standards Authority. (Not that it’s likely to achieve anything. :rolleyes:)

Thought that someone had spelt Toe incorrectly until i actually read the whole post! Lol…:bigsmile:

Typical business practice nothing new but it is great Info moral to the story always do your homework.:slight_smile:

Better advice is to simply know what you are buying and its actual retail value. There isn’t really any excuse for getting caught in a “sale price” scam. This doesn’t really have anything to do with Black Friday, it goes on all year.

If you buy it [B]Sold and Shipped by Amazon[/B], you will never get conned. Stay away from third party vendors. Amazon will make every effort to do right by you.

I’m not sure if you saw the image in the second post, that product above was both sold and shipped by Amazon.

[QUOTE=Seán;2784196]I’m not sure if you saw the image in the second post, that product above was both sold and shipped by Amazon.[/QUOTE]

If a few slip by them so be it, but they will always send the UPS carrier to your home for it to be returned the next day.

Amazon automatically price-matches other retailers. So when prices fluctuate its often due to prices changing elsewhere. If you track ONLY Amazon prices you won’t see that. You may in fact be seeing price manipulation that’s occurred at one of their competitors and they have simply matched it.
The point here is that if you only look at one data set, (and from a 3rd party at that), you’re not getting the whole picture. Know what you’re buying and what its worth.

As for the headphones, I’ll likely go with the Audio-Technica ATH-M40X, which are currently £82, more in my price range. :iagree:

These are flat-tuned which basically means what goes in is what comes out, unlike most other headphones that put (heavy) emphasis on bass, such as Beats. If I want extra bass or emphasis on a certain frequency range, that’s what a graphic equaliser is there for. :slight_smile:

I currently have an a pair of Audio-Technica noise-cancelling over-ear headphones, which are great while listening on the move such as public transport. As with all noise-cancelling headphones I’ve tried and had previously, they all have a light background hiss and require batteries, so I would like a pair for home listening and replace the earpads for my current noise-cancelling pair.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2784202]If a few slip by them so be it, but they will always send the UPS carrier to your home for it to be returned the next day.[/QUOTE]
Not here in the UK. (Or presumably if you’re in Eire shopping on .co.uk)

So long as it’s within 30 days (if not, lecture them on consumer law & they’yy usually roll over ;)), and if you’re very careful with your choice of return reason, you won’t have to pay the return postage. But you’ll almost certainly have to take the package to the Post Office or a collection point.

And if you’re outside the country then they’ll leave the return method entirely up to you and only pay £x.xx. But this can work to ones advantage.

Earlier this year I ordered a tap from Amazon UK to be sent to Spain. Turned out to be a completely different size to that stated. Being a heavy lump of metal it couldn’t be posted for anywhere near the maximum they said they’d refund, so we brought it back in a half-empty suitcase and posted it when we got home. They refunded the maximum they said they would and we made a profit of £8.06. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2784347]Not here in the UK. (Or presumably if you’re in Eire shopping on .co.uk)[/QUOTE]
Indeed in Ireland I need to take returns to the post office. I also had a return that got lost in the post (wrong Tefal Actifry basket), resulting in Amazon charging me for the item again. However, after a few minutes onto their telephone support, they refunded it again.

One issue I run into regularly with Amazon is geographic restrictions even with their products.

Just like how there’s VPNs for getting around streaming service geographic restrictions, several couriers in Ireland do the same for actual packages and indeed this works well for buying goods that don’t ship outside the UK.

However, in this instance, the returns process can be a pain as Amazon provides a prepaid UK shipping label for items sent to the UK address, which don’t work in Ireland. :doh:

Interestingly, Amazon has no problem promoting and selling its Prime service to Irish customers, yet the only way to use Prime here is with a courier’s virtual UK address for deliveries (Amazon Prime does not ship to Ireland) and a VPN to access its streaming content.

For anyone in Ireland reading this, Amazon Prime still does not provide free delivery to Ireland, as I’ve just seen on the Irish Boards forum:

I remember this issue a year ago when I last tried Amazon Prime. In the UK Amazon Prime gives speedy free delivery, but for customers in Ireland it takes away the free delivery option that non-Prime accounts have. :confused:

Interesting.

They deliver to Northern Ireland for free so I wouldn’t have thought there’d be much difference costs wise.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Ibex;2784347]Not here in the UK. (Or presumably if you’re in Eire shopping on .co.uk)

So long as it’s within 30 days (if not, lecture them on consumer law & they’yy usually roll over ;)), and if you’re very careful with your choice of return reason, you won’t have to pay the return postage. But you’ll almost certainly have to take the package to the Post Office or a collection point.

And if you’re outside the country then they’ll leave the return method entirely up to you and only pay £x.xx. But this can work to ones advantage.

Earlier this year I ordered a tap from Amazon UK to be sent to Spain. Turned out to be a completely different size to that stated. Being a heavy lump of metal it couldn’t be posted for anywhere near the maximum they said they’d refund, so we brought it back in a half-empty suitcase and posted it when we got home. They refunded the maximum they said they would and we made a profit of £8.06. :D[/QUOTE] All I have to tell them is that I am disabled and the truck to my house the next day with a box and a label.

Now that the lightning deal is over by a week, I had a quick and sure enough the price is plummeted today back to just above a few weeks ago:

£230 is lower than that above lightning deal, yet no mention of it now on the vast “Today’s Deals” list… :disagree:

I saw similar patterns with a few other products, although not quite as bad as this example.

Despite the lack of any hard disks or SSDs in the deals listings this year, there have been several several good unmentioned deals so far with ~500GB SSDs periodically dipping below £100. So just pick a few products you are interested in, add them to Camel’s watchlist (e.g. set -10%) and you’ll get an e-mail when there is a genuine deal on what you’re after. :wink:

Personally I found this year to be a rather disappointing experience with Amazon - Far too many items that just appear like stagnant stock clearance. Every previous year I ordered a handful of items leading up to the Black Friday (between myself and gifts for others) and this year ordered just two items so far - a 64GB UHS-1 SD card for £10 and a pair of Netgear AV1200 HomePlugs for £45.