Check a spare harddrive

vbimport

I have come across some spare harddrives. I want to check them out to see what is on them e.g. folders & files and test to see if there is an operating system that I can bootup. How do I check out a harddrive?
Just install it in a PC & see if it will boot up an operating system?

This is better suited for the PC hardware forum. I will move it there for you.

[QUOTE=duckquack;2195935]I have come across some spare harddrives. I want to check them out to see what is on them e.g. folders & files and test to see if there is an operating system that I can bootup. How do I check out a harddrive?
Just install it in a PC & see if it will boot up an operating system?[/QUOTE]

That usually doesn’t work. You are better off hooking it up as a slave or if you have an extra ide/sata connection, put it on it’s own channel. Boot your normal way and if your Bios and Windows (I’m guessing Windows) recognize the drive then just use windows explorer to see what is on it.

If you are running an older OS (Win98?) it won’t recognise NTFS formatting.

If you are running Win2k or WinXP it might not recognize the drive immediatly.
On my Win2K-SP4 system I’l literally forgotten that I was "Testing"
a recently aquired used HDD and had it suddenly pop a “New Hardware detected” message several HOURS after the last bootup.

Make sure that you have the power OFF while connecting any drives.

Not only to protect the drive but to prevent dammage to or destruction of the drive controller on your mother board.

The OS that might be (probably is) on any “strange” drives
would be very unlikely to boot on your system unless your system
is identical to the system the drive was removed from.
Registry files are all different.

XP (any version) probably won’t work even if everything IS absolutely identical because XP even looks at the unique serial number of the mother board.

AD