Cheapest SSD

vbimport

Im looking for a cheap SSD & saw this on supermediastore:

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/kingston-ssdnow-v-series-snv125-s2-30gb-2-5-inch-30gb-sata-ii-solid-state-drive-ssd?max=15&sortBy=price&offset=0&filter=all

Has anyone seen any cheaper elsewhere?

Yeah you can get it way cheaper than that.

Amazon have it here for $64.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Steve_Collins;2595883]Im looking for a cheap SSD & saw this on supermediastore:

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/kingston-ssdnow-v-series-snv125-s2-30gb-2-5-inch-30gb-sata-ii-solid-state-drive-ssd?max=15&sortBy=price&offset=0&filter=all

Has anyone seen any cheaper elsewhere?[/QUOTE]

Yo Steve_Collins-

Why buy that one when you can get the very [B]same brand[/B], much [B]newer/better[/B] technology and over [B]three[/B] times the capacity for only [B]$10[/B] more (AR) here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139408&cm_sp=DailyDeal--20-139-408--Product

(btw - I have this very same SSD (the 96Gb one) in a new build and it is [B]awesome[/B])

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2595942]Yo Steve_Collins-

Why buy that one when you can get the very [B]same brand[/B], much [B]newer/better[/B] technology and over [B]three[/B] times the capacity for only [B]$10[/B] more (AR) here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139408&cm_sp=DailyDeal--20-139-408--Product

(btw - I have this very same SSD (the 96Gb one) in a new build and it is [B]awesome[/B])[/QUOTE]

Err that’s $90 dearer Mike not $10. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2595947]Err that’s $90 dearer Mike not $10. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Yo Wombler-

OP’s Kingston 30Gb = $95.99

My Kingston 96Gb = $104.99 ([B]A[/B]fter $50 [B]R[/B]ebate)

Difference = $9.00

(your profuse apology is cordially accepted) :clap:

Or today on newegg can get the oc 120gb ocz SOLID, SATA 3 for $169 AR

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2595957]Yo Wombler-

OP’s Kingston 30Gb = $95.99

My Kingston 96Gb = $104.99 ([B]A[/B]fter $50 [B]R[/B]ebate)

Difference = $9.00

(your profuse apology is cordially accepted) :clap:[/QUOTE]

Apology granted. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk… Still over $1 a gb… following the price per gb for hard drives in oh, say 1999.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2596895]Tsk, Tsk, Tsk… Still over $1 a gb… following the price per gb for hard drives in oh, say 1999.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but it’s the speed you’re paying for and the desirability that that generates.

I suppose it’s a bit like choosing between buying a coach with higher capacity or a shiny red Ferrari. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Previously SSDs were desgined to last a REALLY long time (min. 10 years), today these companies are such wuses that they only include 3 - 5 year warranties… on SSD… that shows real confidence in the product. As for speed… you really only get 100-300% faster than the fastest 15k rpm drives in throughput-- so raiding more drives can yield the same results and comparable speed (READ, not necessarily write). SSD will win the access time almost everytime… so that’s moot.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2596914]Previously SSDs were desgined to last a REALLY long time (min. 10 years), today these companies are such wuses that they only include 3 - 5 year warranties… on SSD… that shows real confidence in the product. As for speed… you really only get 100-300% faster than the fastest 15k rpm drives in throughput-- so raiding more drives can yield the same results and comparable speed (READ, not necessarily write). SSD will win the access time almost everytime… so that’s moot.[/QUOTE]

Yo tmc8080-

At what point do you start taking into consideration - the real price difference between the 15k rpm hard drives and the SSD’s - oh and the MTBF too?

Then apply that to the average/every day user that can solve the speed, power consumption and MTBF issues with just one $200-$300 SSD.

Oh - and being able to make it apply to either laptops or desktops.

hey big mike i see on one of your computers your using nero 6.615. imo the best nero version i ever used!!! i have’nt used ssd but plan on having it in my new computer which i plan to build. great stuff.

[QUOTE=kenli39;2597014]hey big mike i see on one of your computers your using nero 6.615. imo the best nero version i ever used!!! i have’nt used ssd but plan on having it in my new computer which i plan to build. great stuff.[/QUOTE]

Yo kenli39-

I totally agree with the Nero 6.615 statement - I’m still trying to figure out how to load it into Win7 Pro.

My new ZT i7-2600 is getting a Intel 510 120GB as the OS drive. And my burning computer is getting a Intel X25-M 160GB G2 as its OS drive.

Got the 600gb velociraptor sata 3 yesterday, and tomorrow I will order the Micron M4 128gb at $180.00 (special coupon). :slight_smile:

Got the Mobo, cpu, hyper cooler 212 plus and the memory in the rig so far.

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2596928]Yo tmc8080-

At what point do you start taking into consideration - the real price difference between the 15k rpm hard drives and the SSD’s - oh and the MTBF too?

Then apply that to the average/every day user that can solve the speed, power consumption and MTBF issues with just one $200-$300 SSD.

Oh - and being able to make it apply to either laptops or desktops.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I’m not in the market for an ULTRA high tech PC anyway so these are PREMIUM drives based on a VERY HIGH SPEC PC. In most comparisons I’ve seen 15k drives in raid to have certain application / content creation advantage over flash in head-to-head tests. That said, there are other considerations that favor flash. If SSD makers would have kept to the high MTBF that they used to have and further pushed throughput they’d be quite desireable and could end up in the mass market, but that’s not the case yet. As I indicate above, these HIGH END drives are not generally for the average user / pc owner. Flash has applications high-end gaming rigs, rack servers, and military/corporate operations. When those markets have virtually unlimited wads of cash to spend/splurge the prices will remain sky-high. That may or may not help innovation because these customers aren’t demanding a higher bar be placed on the technology… (throughput, capacity, mtbf, etc…) they take what they can get…and pay too much, lol