Cheapest Branded TY CD-R In The USA?

vbimport

Finally running low on my old TY Fuji stock. So, what is the best deal for MIJ CD-Rs, either in store or mail order? I just can’t see myself ponying up $1/disc for those Maxell Pros which never seem to be on sale. Looks like someone might be selling Verbatim Pastels in Canada for $17.95 + shipping, could this be it?

http://www.blankmedia.ca/proddetail3.asp?id=1220

Those Maxell Pros are $10 / 25-pack at Wal-Mart, at least near my house. 40-cents/disc.

As far as internet purchases go, I recently got a 200-pack of these and have gotten 96/97 quality scan scores from my BenQ DW1640.

http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-cd-r-52x-silver-inkjet-printable-cdr80spp25eb.html

I know you said BRANDED Taiyo Yuden but these have worked great.

[QUOTE=Some Random Guy;2104363]Those Maxell Pros are $10 / 25-pack at Wal-Mart, at least near my house.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that’s been the regular price at Wal-Mart for years. :iagree:

the shiny top TY cdr’s from rima are the exact same disk as the branded same quality same disk I believe just not branded. someone correct me if I am wrong

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1160&Category_Code=TAIYOYUDEN

I have never had one of these fail me yet

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817172103

[quote=jcusimano2;2104492]the shiny top TY cdr’s from rima are the exact same disk as the branded same quality same disk I believe just not branded. someone correct me if I am wrong

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1160&Category_Code=TAIYOYUDEN

I have never had one of these fail me yet[/quote] The data and reflective layers of CD media are near the top of the disc, and if those get damaged so does your data. So the top layer is an essential part of the protection of the disc.

So I wouldn’t say that shiny silver TY CD-Rs and branded TY CD-Rs are exactly the same. A big part of the difference between e.g. TY shiny silver CD-R and Maxell Pro or Plextor branded TY CD-R is the protective top layer.

I haven’t had any of the shiny silver TY CD-R myself, so I’m not sure exactly how weak the top layer is, but from what I’ve seen on these forums, they are not well protected. Personally I’d go for printable TY CD-R instead or branded TY CD-R with good protective top layer.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2104571]
I haven’t had any of the shiny silver TY CD-R myself, so I’m not sure exactly how weak the top layer is, but from what I’ve seen on these forums, they are not well protected. Personally I’d go for printable TY CD-R instead or branded TY CD-R with good protective top layer.[/QUOTE]

I’ve got some from ages back :slight_smile:

AFAIK the data is still intact, but I’d agree and go for printable instead…my unbranded printable ones just seem that little bit better protected.

I don’t like the unbranded TY disks. The lacquer finish smudges and scratches too easily (on top) and the inkjet and silver tops look too naked to me.

I just saw a 30 pack of MIJ Maxell CD-R Audio at RiteAid for $22. I used to get the FujiFilm TYs there for about $12 for 50 when they were on sale.

I guess the thing to do is the $10 for 25 Maxell Pro…

Printable ty from rima:

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1161&Category_Code=TY

The Maxell (as already stated) cd-r pro from wal-mart for $9.99 for 25 pack) and also…Sony CD-R Music 30 pack from Walgreens (They go on sale for $9.99 every so often…picked up three packs two weeks ago)…just make sure they say Made In Japan…as the wal-mart stuff in my area…some are MIT…which means they are not TY media.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2104571]The data and reflective layers of CD media are near the top of the disc, and if those get damaged so does your data. So the top layer is an essential part of the protection of the disc.

So I wouldn’t say that shiny silver TY CD-Rs and branded TY CD-Rs are exactly the same. A big part of the difference between e.g. TY shiny silver CD-R and Maxell Pro or Plextor branded TY CD-R is the protective top layer.

I haven’t had any of the shiny silver TY CD-R myself, so I’m not sure exactly how weak the top layer is, but from what I’ve seen on these forums, they are not well protected. Personally I’d go for printable TY CD-R instead or branded TY CD-R with good protective top layer.[/QUOTE]

Yo Drage-

I’ve been using the silver top Taiyo Yuden CD-R’s for years - and have never had one that incurred a deep scratch due to thin silver layer or deteriorated in any way - but they are a fingerprint magnet - to the point that I bought 200 Fuji branded TY CD-R’s just because of the fingerprints-eh!! :iagree: :iagree:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2104571]…I wouldn’t say that shiny silver TY CD-Rs and branded TY CD-Rs are exactly the same…[/QUOTE]

Would this also apply to the DVDs, or is this a CD specific issue?

Personally, I don’t buy unbranded media unless it’s the only thing available for a particular MID, and have always preferred branded media. Almost all of my Taiyo Yudens are Sony (DVD) or Fuji (CD) branded, but unfortunately, you can’t buy those anymore.

I have also used/have the shiny ty media…no problems either Mike…but you are right…the fingerprints…man…next time I will go with the TY printable from Rima…I have heard it is a nice finish…but I have never seen any.

Neg…why branded…any thing wrong with the TY media from Rima…I have not had any problems with the silver shiny stuff…although…the finish on the Sony branded TY media is just fantastic to look at…my fave…but like you said…hard to come by.

Those Sony cd-r ty media from Walgreens has that nice frosted finish…
I have some Sony TY DVD +R also…but when they are gone…they can not be replaced…at least I have not seen any in my area.

Yo-

The shiny silver DVD-R Taiyo Yuden media is not as susceptible to fingerprints as the CD-R TY media - and I still have about 125 of the last buy of T02’s from Rima and a boatload of Verbatim from the eBay 25 pack/100 sale of 16x + and _ R’s - so I’m all set media wise for the next 7-800 burns-eh!!

Mike

I have both the TY cd-r and TY dvd+r shiny.(Rima)…they seem like the exact same surface to me…but my eyes are not what they used to be. I would now pay the extra few bucks for the printable…as I said…I hear they are of a nice finish…if any one has tried them…please chime in…

As far as burn quality…I have ty cd-r shiny and dvd+r shiny…as well as sony cd-r frosted finish and the sony dvd+r frosted finish…I like the sony finish much better…but burn quality they seem the same to me…

7-800 burns…you work them out eh!!:bigsmile:

[quote=negritude;2104852]Would this also apply to the DVDs, or is this a CD specific issue?[/quote] The difference is only significant for CD media, because the data and reflective layers are at the top of the disc instead of in the middle of the disc.

You could probably scratch the top side of a DVD with a screwdriver without damaging the data, regardless of whether the top layer is shiny silver, printable, ceramic coated, or whatever.

For CDs, you can damage the reflective layer even with the toughest top layer that I know of (Verbatim Crystal).

[QUOTE=negritude;2104476]Yep, that’s been the regular price at Wal-Mart for years. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Which Walmart are you talking about?

NbK

[QUOTE=NBK;2110570]Hi,

Which Walmart are you talking about?

NbK[/QUOTE]

Isn’t it all of them? That’s also the price in my part of the SE U.S.

[QUOTE=Albert;2110573]Isn’t it all of them? That’s also the price in my part of the SE U.S.[/QUOTE]

Hi Albert,

I just have not seen any branded TY at my local Wal-Mart. I guess i will have to look around at more stores…

NBK

These are the ones I use and they have free shipping and I never had a coaster with them. I use them for everything data, music, etc. With the price of gasoline looking for B&M deals I find these much easier to delivered to my house with free shipping.
http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-48x-cd-r-silver-thermal-printable-100.html

Hi

I found some Sony branded Taiyo Yuden at Wallgreens. They are all mine when they go on sale!!!

Thanks
NBK