Cheap Video Card that supports AERO?

I am not a gamer, I would like to raise my Windows 7 score above a, disappointing, 1.0 due mainly to the video card. Does anyone have recommendations for a video card that will work on a HP d330 with an HP motherboard model: 085Ch and processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz?

• Thankyou :slight_smile:

Looking at the online manual: http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00059138/c00059138.pdf

It seems this computer dates from about 2003, and it has an AGP video slot. There are not many AGP cards available these days, as it is an obsolete form factor, and frankly, spending much money on one is not advisable.

2003 means you probably have a 4x/8x compatible slot on the motherboard. You can look through the meager selection of cards at Newegg here.

You might want to put in a request to buy such a card at the trading forums at Anandtech or in the Agora at Ars Techinca. You should be able to get a good used card for not a lot of money. We don’t have such a buy/sell/trading forum here at MyCE.

There are a lot of people who would give AGP graphic cards for free, but then spending money even on shipping for that much outdated hardware cannot be a sound option for people like me. I would buy some high-end X48 motherboards with Q6600 or better CPU’s if electricity cost were not an issue.

Thank you, I will probably go the AGP route.

You’ve been a big help. I will take your advice.

I’m too late to chime in but I think the “don’t spend new dollars on old tech” would be the best advice. There probably are games that could use the newest AGP cards in that NewEgg link, but I’d have a hard time recommending even $50 just to modify a rating number. If there was one certain Must-Have Game that could only be played with one of these newer AGPs, then maybe I could use that as an excuse… but still…

i would personally go with a nvidia card bro

What’s your budget?

$50 maximum.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2648863]I’m too late to chime in but I think the “don’t spend new dollars on old tech” would be the best advice. There probably are games that could use the newest AGP cards in that NewEgg link, but I’d have a hard time recommending even $50 just to modify a rating number. If there was one certain Must-Have Game that could only be played with one of these newer AGPs, then maybe I could use that as an excuse… but still…[/QUOTE]

I would also agree, I have a athlonXP 3000+ sitting under my desk at work that was my home computer that I tired to make it last by buying ram and a new video card. I don’t remember the video card I got but I had nothing but issues with it. It seems card manufactures don’t put out proper drivers for obsolete tech(it was always in beta). I had to actually find modded drivers to get it working properly.

I would honesty take that 50 and buy something else.