Cheap upgrade to Windows7

If I take the cheap (49.95) upgrade to W7 from my XP and I have to do a new rebuild will I be able to keep7? Should I just buy 7 flat out like I did XP? I rebuild a new computer every 6 months or so to keep up with the curve.

The only difference between the upgrade and full version is the upgrade version will prompt you for previous Windows full version. For Win7 upgrade this means you need to have original full version of Vista, XP or 2000 to be able to install the upgrade.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2299697]The only difference between the upgrade and full version is the upgrade version will prompt you for previous Windows full version. For Win7 upgrade this means you need to have original full version of Vista, XP or 2000 to be able to install the upgrade.[/QUOTE]
There is a bit more to it than that though, the $49 upgrade seems rather limited.

Indeed. Read all the fine print to check if you have a license for all the features you want your operating system to have.

There’s no more to it. The Home Premium full version will have same limitations as Home Premium upgrade. You just have to have a full Windows version to use any Win7 upgrade. Likewise the Professional version will be more limited than the Ultimate version.

It is debatable how limited the Home Premium version of Windows7 really is. The only feature that may be lacking is XP-mode, which hardly seems like an oversight. I would wager that more will be upgrading from XP anyways, and one can have both operating systems installed simultaneously.

Domain and group policy support is not catered to this user class, nor is it implied by the name Home Premium.

I don’t believe it is limited in any way.