Cheap Taiyo Yudens disguised as Memorex

vbimport

Cost: $9.97 USD (plus tax) for a spindle pack of 50 = $0.20 per disc. :eek:
Place of purchase: Best Buy (Boardman, OH)

Memorex CD-R 80min/700MB 32x. Has a black screw-on retaining nut in the center of the top of the pack, identical in nature to other Taiyo Yuden media (such as Fujifilm). Discs have a white top with violet lettering, and upon removal of the nut the frosted center hub of the disc can be seen with gloss branded-in lot numbers, also typical of T.Y. Cyanine. (Made in Japan.)

ATIP info from disk - Read by Feurio 1.65
Recorder: LITE-ON - LTR-32123S
ATIP start of lead in: -02:35:74 (sector: -11699)
ATIP start of lead out: 79:59:73 (sector: 359998)
Manufacturer code: 97 24 01 - Taiyo Yuden Company Limited (Type: 1)
Reference speed: -
Minimum recording speed: -
Maximum recording speed: -
Unrestriced use: No
Disc type: Not Rewriteable
Disc subtype: Medium Type A, high Beta category (A+)
Target writing power: 4
Power multiplication factor:-
Target y value: -
Erase/writer power ratio: -

This is cheaper than unbranded 100-packs of them I saw online. I bought two of them. :smiley:

You got a good deal! You can always tell TY disks by the screw on plastic cap.

Thats good news - sometimes Best Buy has Memorex on sale with Rebates that knock the price down for $5.99 for a 50 Pack. If they ever have another sale and I can find Taiyo made I’m grabbing them!

Taiyo used to make Memorex “Platinum” CD-Rs a few years ago, But most of the regular 74 and 80 minute Memorex’s I have bought over the past 2 years are made by a varety of companies - CMC - Ritek - Postech - Prodisc. They seem to be in bed with any Tiwanese company that makes CD-R’s.

I just burned a data CD at 32x, and the 32x speed zone had lots of yellow in it when tested with CD Speed Scandisc in my Creative DVD 8400E, but no yellow when read with my Lite-On.

I did an audio CD at 8x, and my DVD drive also showed a couple of yellow spots… none on the Lite-On.

Some of them also appear to have minor scuffs, scratches, and also minor defects in the surface of the polycarbonate.

I’m beginning to wonder about these…

UPDATE: They seem to be getting better as I work my way through the stack–I just burned a CD-Speed DAE test disc at 32x with absolutely no yellow sectors showing upon my picky DVD drive, nor are there any errors in the advanced DAE test for either of my drives.

Fuji’s TY discs cost more than twice as much, and I haven’t had any weirdness like this with them at all-- Apparently you pay for the quality control. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have to say this: TY’s factory ‘seconds’ are probably a lot better than other companys’ ‘firsts.’ :wink:

Fuji’s TY discs cost more than twice as much, and I haven’t had any weirdness like this with them at all-- Apparently you pay for the quality control.

Interestingly enough, I just went to Best Buy and bought 50 FujiFilm 24x TY’s for $2.99 after rebates… not bad!

Originally posted by godzilla525
[B]I just burned a data CD at 32x, and the 32x speed zone had lots of yellow in it when tested with CD Speed Scandisc in my Creative DVD 8400E, but no yellow when read with my Lite-On.

I did an audio CD at 8x, and my DVD drive also showed a couple of yellow spots… none on the Lite-On.

Some of them also appear to have minor scuffs, scratches, and also minor defects in the surface of the polycarbonate.

I’m beginning to wonder about these…

UPDATE: They seem to be getting better as I work my way through the stack–I just burned a CD-Speed DAE test disc at 32x with absolutely no yellow sectors showing upon my picky DVD drive, nor are there any errors in the advanced DAE test for either of my drives.

Fuji’s TY discs cost more than twice as much, and I haven’t had any weirdness like this with them at all-- Apparently you pay for the quality control. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have to say this: TY’s factory ‘seconds’ are probably a lot better than other companys’ ‘firsts.’ :wink: [/B]

I think that you got a bad batch or at least the first few were bad. I bought some earlier and they appeared to be ok. You may be right. The quality control for memorex may be a little lax.

Does bestbuy ship outside the U.S?

I don’t know, but Memorex is always switching brands, and you might not get the kind you want. I noticed some TDK that were TY for a time as well, but both of these companies have since returned or changed to someone else’s media.