Cheap Lite-On at OfficeMax...almost

vbimport

OfficeMax’s weekly ad shows the CenDyne LightningIV 48x12x48 for $19.99 after store and mail-in rebates. This unit is a Lite-On 48125W. Unfortunately, the ones at OfficeMax are all from a different manufacturer. I went to four different stores here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area today in search of one. Every store’s display box had the LTR-XXXX model number indicating a Lite-On drive, but not one of the stores actually had one in back. They all had drives, but they were mostly SW-XXXX models. I don’t know which manufacturer that is. Anyway, it was a big disappointment to not find the drive. If you can find an LTR at you’re store, you’ll definitely get a good deal. On the plus side, 3 of the 4 people I talked to in the stores were actually helpful and knowledgeable about the different drive models and were happy to search for one. The 4th guy just kept saying “It’s all Pioneer parts in there dude!” Oh well…

Andrew

Originally posted by asapilot
[B] “It’s all Pioneer parts in there dude!”

Andrew [/B]

OMG that is too typical of those guys thanks for the laugh !!:bow: :stuck_out_tongue:

I was handed a box labelled LTR-48125W on the back, went home, opened it and it was labelled LTR-48126S on the drive, flashed to 5226S no problem! I also had a 10$ off 20$ purchase card. Woohoo :slight_smile: Thanks to all the people who worked on mediatek flashing and hosted files for me to use :D.

/MLS

>I was handed a box labelled LTR-48125W on the back,<

Lucky you. Where are you located? We’ve got like 24 locations here in Dallas, but I didn’t try them all. I was tempted to call around, but it was close to closing time tonight. I’m going down to Baton Rouge, LA tomorrow and I’ll see if they have them in the store down there…

Andrew

Santa Clarita, CA. :slight_smile:

/MLS

I just made an impulse buy at Office Max then came here to see how I did. :wink:
They offered the CenDyne 48x12x48 for $19.99(49.99 with $30 mail in rebate). They also offered : Purchase a Cendyne 48x12x48 Drive and a KHypermedia 100 pack CD-R(80 min 48x) and receive a $20 rebate. The spindle was $24.99.
Well the box had no more slips on it so I figured they must be sold out. I asked the young man in that department and he said they had just received a new shipment so they had plenty. I took the CD-Rs to the check out and told the young lady I wanted the Burner as well. She said "we are all out of them but are substituting the 52x24x52 for it. I said “fine”.
Lets see the box says drive model LTR-52246S. I laid out a total of $81 and will have $50 in rebates.How’d I do?

Not too shabby, but how are you going to claim the rebate with a UPC off a 52x box?

/MLS

On the same rebate form from OfficeMax, there’s an option to get $30 back for the 52/24/52 as well. So he fared pretty well, but I don’t think he can get the player for free with the 100 CD-Rs since that form is only good with the 48/12/48. I was actually trying to get the 52/24/52 (Cendyne @ $79.99) from Office Depot for $25 shipped (coupon for $25 off $75 purchase, and $30 rebate), but they never seem to have it in stock.

Well I hope I don’t have to fight with them over the $20. :cop: I asked for the 48x12x48 and they substituted the better drive and said the rebate was still there. The rebate coupon they gave me for the 2nd rebate only calls for the upc from the CD-Rs.
The Drive coupon is for $30 back on either.

I bought a Cendyne 48x12x48 from OM last week for $20 with rebates. The one I got says LTR-48125W. That’s supposed to be a lite-on, I know because I got the same one last Nov. from Circuit City. The problem is that whats in the box doesn’t seem to be a lite-on. The puter says ATAPI CD-R/RW 48X16 firmware 9.EK. My question is what is it? Second isn’t that false advertising as it doesn’t appear to be a LTR-48125W.

Originally posted by dt196
I bought a Cendyne 48x12x48 from OM last week for $20 with rebates. The one I got says LTR-48125W. That’s supposed to be a lite-on, I know because I got the same one last Nov. from Circuit City. The problem is that whats in the box doesn’t seem to be a lite-on. The puter says ATAPI CD-R/RW 48X16 firmware 9.EK. My question is what is it? Second isn’t that false advertising as it doesn’t appear to be a LTR-48125W.

It must be an OEM Acer/Benq CRW4816A.

Looks like it goes back tomorrow. I’ll open the box at the store next time! Are there any other brands that are lite-on’s repackaged? Buslink, Verbatim etc?

Verbatims are usually Lite-Ons I think. If you want a sure thing Lite-ON go for Sony, Memorex, or TDK.

And dont forget that sometimes you can order these drives online!! One of the cdfreaks banner was a liteon for 79$

ALso look on pricewatch too. Some of the companies will let you send them a check or money order, if you dont have a credit card(call them). And they will ship you the drive, of course after you get the funds to them…

Ya’ll should check out the “sneak preview” for office max. Starting on Sunday 4/27/03, they will have a Cendyne 48x12x48 for $9.99!!!

Wishing for a liteon!:slight_smile: