Cheap eats

vbimport

This thread is for all the penny pinchers out there (No Dean, it doesn’t mean pinching girls named Penny). What is your favorite full meal at a restaurant that costs less than an arm and a leg?

In my area, we have a small chain of Tex-Mex restaurants called Rosa’s. Every Tuesday they have TACO Tuesday. The meal includes 3 tacos, your choice of chicken or beef, crispy or soft. Plus you get Spanish rice, refried beans, a small salad of lettuce and tomato and two freshly made flour tortillas. No drink is included, but I just get the filtered water and ice and put in lime slices for a bit of flavor. Total cost: $3.99 including tax.

Can anyone beat that? :slight_smile:

I also eat the Rosa’s tuesday special .The tacos have tomatoes & lettuce but no seperate salad .
Probably the cheapest is KFC they have a chicken fried steak with coleslaw , mashed potatos & 1 bisquit for $1.99 .
We have a few places that have 99 cent full size single meat burgers fairly regularly but I wouldn’t call that a complete meal. One is a sit down burger place .
Just last night I (not just me) had 6 bean burritos from Taco Villa $5.99.With their salsa bar .Which has pico de gallo,salsa , onions diced , pickled jalapeño slices, & they have whole fresh jalapeños lime slices . You can fill as many of their little plastic containers as you like. Makes some good burritos. Mine were so big I had to eat them with a fork.

At Rosa’s they always pile up some lettuce and tomato on my plate as a small salad (Odessa and Midland)…it appears they don’t do it at every one of their sites. I detest raw tomatoes so not part of the meal I eat.

I much prefer Rosa’s to Taco Villa though…would like to see a special day for their fajitas!

Yo-

Dennys $2 biscuit and gravy with one egg or hash browns breakfast. Two will definitely fill ya up-eh!!

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2541963]I much prefer Rosa’s to Taco Villa though…would like to see a special day for their fajitas![/QUOTE]
I do too but the 6 burritos feed 3 people this way so not bad for $2.00 each. I also wanted this to go & it just happened to be Tuesday right now this is available everyday.
BTW Rosa’s used to be $3.33 for this Tuesday meal About a year ago.

The dollar menu at about any fast food chain is a bargain. Especially the McDoubles from McDonalds and the double cheese from Burger King. Maybe not the most healthy but a bargain none the less.

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2541964]Yo-

Dennys $2 biscuit and gravy with one egg or hash browns breakfast. Two will definitely fill ya up-eh!![/QUOTE]

Always liked the sound of biscuits and gravy, makes my tummy rumble every time I read about it. We don’t have that here :sad:

I very rarely eat out, but when I do you can’t beat good ol’ fish and chips. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2541963]I detest raw tomatoes so not part of the meal I eat.
[/QUOTE]

LOL!

You know that’s one of the very few things I’ve never got used since I was a kid.

I can eat almost anything with tomatoes in it but hate eating them raw.

The three things I really don’t like are raw bell peppers, raw tomato and avocado.

I’ll pretty much give anything else a go so I suppose I’m relatively adventurous food wise.

[B]Wombler[/B]

QUOTE=Arachne;2542022 you can’t beat good [B][I][U]ol’[/U][/I][/B] fish and chips. :)[/QUOTE]:eek: you eat [B]old [/B]fish in UK? :eek:

me shrugs
Michael

:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2542030]:eek: you eat [B]old [/B]fish in UK? :eek:

me shrugs
Michael

:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha!! Well, whether or not it’s “fresh(ish)” depends on how good the chippy is. :bigsmile:

The Domino Real Deal offer:

Every monday all medium sized pizzas are 5 euros.
You gotta pick up the pizza yourself though.

Local place.
Soup of the day with a crusty roll, tea or coffee. £1.99

[QUOTE=Arachne;2542022]Always liked the sound of biscuits and gravy, makes my tummy rumble every time I read about it. We don’t have that here :sad:

I very rarely eat out, but when I do you can’t beat good ol’ fish and chips. :)[/QUOTE]

Yo Lin-

The Dennys biscuit and gravy is simply delicious - the biscuit is a large fluffy one - opened and a white gravy with sausage bits and juice ladled over the two halves - if you get the hash browns (shredded fried potatoes) you can mix the gravy into them too-

The combo is SO yummy-eh :clap: :clap:

[QUOTE=UTR;2541976]The dollar menu at about any fast food chain is a bargain. Especially the McDoubles from McDonalds and the double cheese from Burger King. Maybe not the most healthy but a bargain none the less.[/QUOTE]

Yo UTR-

The Burger King $1 Double Burger is the best - most filling $1 menu item - and makes easy to handle/eat road food too-eh!! :iagree:

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2542042]Yo Lin-

The Dennys biscuit and gravy is simply delicious - the biscuit is a large fluffy one - opened and a white gravy with sausage bits and juice ladled over the two halves - if you get the hash browns (shredded fried potatoes) you can mix the gravy into them too-

The combo is SO yummy-eh :clap: :clap:[/QUOTE]
Another person that uses the gravy for the hashbrowns . Way better than catsup or Ketchup whichever you preffer.
You should try gravy on regular French fries or chips as Arachne would say. I do ocassionally use malt vinegar on my “chips” .I almost never use catsup on them.
I do love raw tomatoes. A friend of mine told me as a kid he made raw tomato, Miracle Whip , & bread sandwiches .I’m going to try one.
The vegetable I don’t like is raw cucumbers (they tase very bitter to me) but I like pickles.
@Wombler ,Just a suggestion .If you try some fresh lemon juice squezed over the avacado & a little salt .You still might not like them but maybe you would .

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2542043]Yo UTR-

The Burger King $1 Double Burger is the best - most filling $1 menu item - and makes easy to handle/eat road food too-eh!! :iagree:[/QUOTE]

I like Burger Kings dollar double cheeseburgers better than McDonalds. Plus, you can count on fast food being close and you can get it, well, fast. I get a double cheeseburger, dollar fries and drink water I get from home and for $2 plus tax, I have a meal. For $3 (get an extra double cheese) I can stuff myself.

I live in New York City. There is lots of amazing food here, very little of it is cheap.
One place that comes to mind is a joint in Chinatown called "Fried Dumpling"
http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/fried-dumpling/
As the link above mentions, pretty much everything is $1, 5 fried dumplings, 4 steamed pork dumplings, a can of soda etc. They also have this sesame pancake thing which was like a slice of pizza in size. I think they were $1.25 each :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2542022]Always liked the sound of biscuits and gravy, makes my tummy rumble every time I read about it. We don’t have that here :sad:

I very rarely eat out, but when I do you can’t beat good ol’ fish and chips. :)[/QUOTE]

Local diner has all you can eat fish and chips $9.95 on Friday…

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2541964]Yo-

Dennys $2 biscuit and gravy with one egg or hash browns breakfast. Two will definitely fill ya up-eh!![/QUOTE]

Two will send you to the morgue. Denny’s=:Z

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2542042]Yo Lin-

The combo is SO yummy-eh :clap: :clap:[/QUOTE]

Ohhh…I so wish they served things like that here. Sounds yummy, but I have a sneaky feeling my arteries would hate me for it. :wink:

EDIT: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!! Wasn’t until after I’d submitted this post that I saw Jester’s reply. :bigsmile:

@olyteddy - nice one :smiley: :clap: