Cheap DVD Media Question

Hello! I bought a 10 pack of cheap dvd+rw’s (compusa brand) and was able to make successful burns with all of them, no problems. My question is, I thought I found the perfect dvd’s; cheap and they all worked, but my friend told I have to be careful because the data might not hold up on the disc a year or two from now!?! Is this true? I always assumed once you did the burn successfully, you got a keeper. Do I have to worry about this and maybe just buy better media to be sure? I’ll be transferring old home movies from my parents soon and anticipate it will take quite a bit of blank dvd’s and was hoping I could just use these since their cheap.

@jasonkm1,

True. CD and DVD media do deteriorate over time. It is best to get good quality media so that you can get quality burns and so that you don’t lose your data. Make sure you find out (by testing) what media your drive prefers by purchasing a small quantity of different media.

If you expect to have the DVD’s last a long time, burn them at the lowest possibly speed and check them with whatever tools you have available. Periodically re-checking them is also a good idea. We know very little about the long-term stability of this media.

I generally burn cdr media, even x48, at x12 mostly and in the past x4 - that changed when we saw pics of the pits and charts of errors showing media vs speed and quality of burn.

It seems 2/3 the max rating of the media to nearly top whack is best.

I wonder why RG says the lowest rated speed for the media in the case of dvdr’s, and not what they are rated at?

I believe this to be sensible, but since the errors we can measure may mean little in dvdr terms, and the top rated speed for the media may be better then burning (overburning?) at the lower speed - why the thumbs up for dvdr media?

Just look at the test threads. The lower burn speeds produce the fewest errors on many discs. (but not all) I’m sure it’s a media specific thing. You don’t have many choices for burn speed with DVD, usually either max speed or one slower option. And given the OP’s use of budget media, burning at slow speed seems the most viable option and the most likely to give long-term stability.

Thanks for the info guys! I’m pretty dissapointed though. lol I thought I had it made with the comp usa dvd’s-- but I guess for the old 8mm films that I need to transfer I’ll buy the better known brands, since the original films probably won’t last much longer.

Can you post the ADIP from the CompUSA media? It may well be the same as the “good stuff”. Use DVDInfo or SmartBurn.