Cheap DVD and CD Cases causing read errors?

vbimport

I noticed, the other day, that some of the cheap “thin” DVD and CD cases are not perfectly flat. So now I’m wondering if this could be causing long term read problems with DVDs and CDs. I have recently read about sticky labels causing problems, so now I have been letting the labels completely dry before I put them on, but I never thought about the cases. Some of these thin cases snap closed and more than likely apply some slight pressure to the CD or DVD. I would assume that over a few months a permanent or not so permanent bend could cause read errors.

Has any testing been done to verify this?

well, if the center of the case is too tight, it could warp the disk, as well as if a disk was left in its case for 2 years without being touched, chances are it would warp because of gravity.best thing to do really, is to store the cases on their side.

So you are still putting labels on your discs then? I may have missunderstood your post but the problem isn’t with “sticky” labels as in the ink isn’t dry on them and the top surface is tacky, but rather that “adhesive labels” should not be used full stop. Labels cause balance problems when the disc is spun and can cause the problems you describe. :iagree:

[B]Don’t [/B][B]use labels of any sort on DVD’s[/B]. :disagree: If you need images on your discs, either use an inkjet printer and printable discs or buy a LightScribe burner and the apropriate media.

Warpage of discs can usually be remedied by storing the disc properly, ie vertically in a case or as a group of 10-25 (or more) in spindles and letting them “rest” for a while.

I too got the impression that the OP was still using labels. Labels are evil.

Please, please take Kim’s advice if you want your discs to last a fair while. :slight_smile:

No, those thin cases will not cause read errors - and they are nto supposed to completly press on your CD/DVD when you close the box - If you notice there is an empty space between the lid and the disc - If you can, avoid stacking them or placing heavy objects ONTOP of them. Place them vertically in a box.

According to the sticky label sticky, a full conclusion has not been made as to whether or not labels cause long term problems. I have disks which are 3 years old with labels that still work perfectly. I also have disks that are 3 years old with no labels that now don’t work. How can labels cause balance problems when they are applied with a kit that centers them perfectly? I’ve seen many pressed disks with labels applied to them as well and they don’t have balance problems. I didn’t know about proper storage though, so thanks for the tips. Just to be on the safe side, and because they are more durable, I ordered 100 big DVD cases.

If it is true that labels cause problems, or pose a risk, then what do you use to label disks with? After reading the sticky it seems the culprit is the moisture from the label caused by heat from the laser. But I noticed when you first print a label it is wet and bends very easily, it doesn’t hold shape, so I assumed letting the ink completely dry before the label was applied would solve the problem as the label has already expanded or contracted due to the wetness from the ink. I mean, the labels don’t change shape before they are applied, even in hot storage conditions.

I was referring to storage in a jewel case - Labels is another story I would personally NOT recommend them - They will seem to work fine on your DVD players - Some players handle them well, others are more picky. But in time you may have problems. I have used labels myself in the past and they played fine on my DVD players, but after months I could not make a full read on my PC (CRC errors) and they would have an extremely high KPROBE. When I carefully removed the label and cleaned the top part, it was restored and read perfectly…

You would be surprised at how crappy a lot of the applicators are - if you look carefuly they are not perfectly centered most of the time and centering is nothing everything.

Some people can get away by using the thinner labels - personally I would not recommend ANY labels for long term storage.

Oh, I really think you’ve got it backwards. :confused: - if the disc is hold ONLY by the center, there are much more chances of warping if you store horizontally!! Simple laws of physics the way I see it.

But maybe by “side” you mean “edge”? :confused: :confused:

I didn’t write that but side means edge (more or less) in my book. I think the idea is not to store the case on the top or bottom. Storing the case on any edge or side should be fine…

Edit: Actually more correctly to me side either means the left or right edge/side. I wouldn’t call the top edge or bottom edge a side. Of course, you could also store it horizontally with the top side up or down (i.e. bottom side down or up), but although these are ‘sides’ in this sense, if you say to store it on it’s side, I wouldn’t call them ‘sides’… A bit confusing perhaps, but this is how I think of sides…

I believe he meant “edge” too…haveacigar has been here awhile now, I think he’s learned that storing them horizontally isn’t good. :slight_smile:

I pulled some old DVD’s and ran some tests and it turns out the only reason my player is reading those old disks with labels on them is because I had near perfect burns when I first made them. I was getting up to 10 errors and pretty high PI and PO errors when I used Kprobe. When they were first made my PI and PO errors were really low, like under 5 or 6 and I had no read errors. So labels do seem to pose a problem, guess it’s time to invest in markers or try some of those super expensive no wobble labels.