Cheap 50Year FalconMedia Pro 4xPlus 25GB BD-R

vbimport

These 50Year FalconMedia Pro 4xPlus white Smart Hub Printables are Dean’s favourite, with 10x multispeed rating. There is no identification on the media.

First outing was a disaster. Sustainable write speed only managed 6x in a LiteOn iBHS312 with ImgBurn write speed set to MAX.

Did I just pick up 10 cakes of coasters?

Media: FalconMedia Pro 4xPlus BR-R 25GB MIUAE
MID: TDKBLD-RBB-000
PN: 0748
Burner: LiteOn iHBS312-98
Burn Speed: 6x
ImgBurn setting (default):

• Perform OPC Before Write : Unchecked
  • BD-R Verify Not Required : Checked
    Scanner: LiteOn iHBS31-98
    Scan Speed: 4x

Are these the $25 ones on MMM or the $20 ones on MMM?

Please scan this at 4x with OptiDrive Control? There is a reason no one else uses DiscSpeed for scanning.

You can also use ODC to open your burn graph in a manner that is readable.

[QUOTE=Acreo_Aeneas;2655348]Are these the $25 ones on MMM or the $20 ones on MMM?[/QUOTE]

What’s MMM?

[QUOTE=mariner8611;2655329]These 50Year FalconMedia Pro 4xPlus white Smart Hub Printables are Dean’s favourite, with 10x multispeed rating. There is no identification on the media.

First outing was a disaster. Sustainable write speed only managed 6x in a LiteOn iBHS312 with ImgBurn write speed set to MAX.

Burner: LiteOn iHBS312-98
Burn Speed: 6x

Scanner: LiteOn iHBS31-98
    Scan Speed: 4x[/QUOTE]
    In spite of the poor graphing representation with burnplot, it appears that the disc verified successfully with no slowdowns and is not a coaster? A graph opened and saved with ODC would be easier to interpret.
    Could you post a 4x ODC scan with your 312 and 123L?
    Is this burner installed internally or running external? While I’ve found that all my burners handle that TDK MID at least decently, my LG and Pioneer writers seem to excel with it more than my Lite-ons. But I do not have a 312, and can’t advise the best speed for you with that drive. Try burning them in your Pio at 4x, 6x, and 8x to see if the scans look better? As you are new to BD-R burning, take it slowly here. The fact that FTI is very proud of their media means that you will almost certainly get good media and get good support in the event you have a problem in my experience.

I find that I have better results if I choose the burn speed that I would like to see in Imgburn.

[QUOTE=Acreo_Aeneas;2655348]Are these the $25 ones on MMM or the $20 ones on MMM?[/QUOTE]Neither. These are Falcon Pro Smart white BD-R.

[QUOTE=scara0ke;2655487]What’s MMM?[/QUOTE]

MediaMegaMall

[QUOTE=mariner8611;2655329]These 50Year FalconMedia Pro 4xPlus white Smart Hub Printables are Dean’s favourite, with 10x multispeed rating. There is no identification on the media.

[/QUOTE]

As you haven’t stopped back with your results with different scanning or trying them in your Pio, I thought i would at least post a scan of an average burn with these. As you are using a newer generation Lite-on for scanning, you could expect your LDC avg to show a little higher as the new ones do report slightly higher avg rates than the 1st gen drive I’m using here.

Falconmedia Pro 25GB 4x+ BD-R
Smart White inkjet/thermal print surface
Burned in LG WH12LS39 at 4x

Here’s another bad result with these Falcon PROs, 4x burn with Pioneer 206.

Burner: Pioneer BDR-206
Burn Speed: 4x

Scanner: Samsung SH-B123L

Here’s a 10x burn with OPC On BD-R verify Off.
Very differnt scan results on differnt readers.

Burner: Pioneer BDR-206
Burn Speed: 10x

• Perform OPC Before Write : Checked
  • BD-R Verify Not Required : Unchecked
    Scanner: Samsung SH-B123L and Lite-On iBHS312

Another member who does a lot of scanning has reported inconsistent results when trying to scan with the Samsung SH-B123L vs Lite-on burners. The Lite-on drive is preferred.
My own Pioneer burners often give better results with the 4x Falcons burned at 6x+ over 4x burns.

Thanks for the reply Dean.

Actually, the Samsung has been quite consistent about these 4xPlus Pro’s. It just doesn’t like them. Scan results have been uniformly poor.

The cheap Panasonic LM-BRS25LT50’s, on the other hand, are well behaved in both the Samsung and Lito-On.

Here’s another set of scan results of an 8x burn. Same pattern.

Does anyone have similar experience?

When I said inconsistent, I meant inconsistent in the error scan results compared to results with Lite-on drives on the same disc. And the difference in error rates reported by a Samsung BD-ROM drive and Lite-on BD-RW drive do vary quite a bit based on the disc MID. The Samsung sees some types of BD-R similar to a Lite-on, then it reports other MIDs very different from the Lite-ons. Members who do a lot of scanning have reported that the Lite-on results have been more true to what is seen with transfer rate tests and real world playback behavior.

Simply put, do not be too concerned with the Samsung BD-ROM results.

As has always been the case with quality scanning, the results seen are the interaction between that particular drive and that media, and not an absolute measure of physical errors on the disc. The challenge is to find the consumer drive that is most able to give results that are reflected in real-world performance of the media being tested.

4x burn (max) on the Sony BD-5300s. Once again, quality scan did not fare well on the Samsung.

I guess the Falcons will be headed for the local charities.

Burner: Sony BD-5300s
Burn Speed: 4x

• Perform OPC Before Write : Checked
  • BD-R Verify Not Required : Unchecked

Start using Opti Drive Control for scanning and scan @ 4x .:doh:

Good advice. When your scanning program is reporting your read speed as 1082.35, it may be time to look elsewhere for accuracy.

It appears Lite-On iHBS112_29/Plextor PX-LB950SA is also having a hard time reading these problematic Falcons.

Sofia 64x Falcon TDKBLDRBB000
Write Speed: 6x (Pioneer BDR-s08J-BK)
-Write Quality Mode ON
-Perform OPC Before Write: Off
-BD-R Verify Not Required: On
Read Speed: 4x (Lite-On iHBS112_29/Plextor PX-LB950SA)

I have to say that I’ve used about 30 of these discs on my Liteon iHBS312 and had no problems at all. Attached is a fairly typical scan.

You’re a fortunate man, Steve.

So far, the Samsung and iHBS112/312 have had little success dealing with this difficult media. Even the Sony 5300s can’t handle the high error rates towards the edge of the disc.

Here’s the 6x Sony scan of the same disc.