Chapters Looping.. What could cause it?

vbimport

I am using DVDFab 5.0.8.5 to rip DVDs. When I do so, either as Main Movie or Full Disc, I have issues once these are burned to a DVD+R.

When I play the burned discs, the video usually plays fine, but once certain chapters are hit the disc gets stuck in a chapter loop. IE: The disc plays fine from the beginning until chapter 6, then loops between 3 and 6. This is also apparent simply by running through the chapter advance until the dvd starts to loop.

The disc plays fine in my PC. The disc scans very well in image quality and I have tried various types of media (Verbatim, Imation, Sony, etc … I can give media codes if that is helpful.)

If I rip these same discs with another software combo, like DVDShrink/DVD Decrypter, I do not have these issues. I have not tried the DVDFab discs in other dvd players yet, but will do so. I have an older JVC XV-N50, but it has had no issues with any sort of burned discs before.

I usually rip to ISO and burn with nero, no matter what software I use to rip. I have tried ripping with PathPlayer on and off, with the same results. All other options are set to defaults. Are there some settings I should try to adjust the issue? I’d rather not jump straight into settings trial and error with all of the collective CDFreaks brains around that might have some suggestions.

I have never had this happen, but perhaps someone else has. If they play on the drive that burned them OK, it sounds like your standalone player. I have only done a couple of burns with 5.0.8.5/5.0.8.8 but they were fine. Did you do a Quality scan on the discs with Nero?

Almost certainly a bad burn or your player needs a clean. It’s hitting a tough spot and skipping.

Regards

Hi Les
OP said the media tried included Verbatim, hence my question about the Quality scan.

I am using DVDFab 5.0.8.5 to rip DVDs

is the problem with one original dvd or several

the video usually plays fine

usually play fine? so sometimes you have choppy video?

until chapter 6, then loops between 3 and 6.

The disc scans very well in image quality

what are image quality scans? are you meaning cd-dvd speed?

[QUOTE=troy512;2115212]is the problem with one original dvd or several

usually play fine? so sometimes you have choppy video?[/quote]

The problem has occurred with a several original dvds, most often with disney/miazaki/ghibli ones, but things that should rip fine have this issue, too.

I have no stuttering issues beyond the chapter looping issue. I meant plays fine beyond the chapter issue, and beyond these discs.

[quote=troy512;2115212]what are image quality scans? are you meaning cd-dvd speed?[/QUOTE]

Either cd-dvd speed or comparison to the iso or original dvd (in the rare cases where the original strictly fits on a single layer.)

Cd-dvd Speed quality scans have quality percentages ~95-98%. PI errors max ~13, Aveage < 4, total < 4000. PI failures max at 6-10, averages < 0.15, total <1300.

I am going to try playing the DVDFab burns in different players this afternoon. I do appreciate the input. Normally I’d think that it was a bad burn or poor media, but I don’t seem to have these issues with other software combos… I was able to snag some of the same discs using other software with no issues.

Just for reference, I am using an older BenQ DW-1650, BCIC Firmware

The couple discs I had on hand play fine in the one other (Sony) dvd player that I was able to try quickly. I usually play them in a JVC XV-N50 (old…) so I’ll try cleaning it.

The inside of the JVC player was basically virgin, as it has no active cooling and no top vents. Cleaning didn’t help anything.

Just curious squaredot do you have the “rewind when done playing” box checked? I wonder if that older player is unable to deal with a tough spot or is misinterpreting an end of chapter marker as an end of file and attempting to rewind? A long shot I know.

do you have the “rewind when done playing” box checked?

I do not. I have tried burning main movie-extracted versions using DVDFab, or doing additional processing with other apps after creating a full disc decrypt.

It is something weird about the JVC player, I think… it’s specific chapters that get interpreted as a go-to-chapter-xxx, and it does seem to happen with Disney movies (the ones in recent memory have been Howl’s Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and the widescreen re-release of My Neighbor Totoro.

I’m a bit bummed at the thought of an upgrade as the player’s been rock solid otherwise and loads and ejects dvds in a very short amount of time… Ah well. I appreciate the suggestions and barring any bright ideas, I consider it something I’ll just have to live with for the moment. Thanks!