Changing the name

vbimport

Anybody find solution to change name of this drives from ATAPI, from Lite-ON. I asked this before, but I got no answer.

Thanx!!!

Why?

I don’t like “generic” names. Only because of that.

I dont think there is a way to do it without screwing up the firmware. You can look at it with a hex editor, but I wouldnt mess with it.

Are you serious? :rolleyes: What’s more important, the name or burn quality?

FYI, someone had tried it before and guess what, it didn’t work afterwards.

[QUOTE=KTL;2083035]Are you serious? :rolleyes: What’s more important, the name or burn quality?

FYI, someone had tried it before and guess what, it didn’t work afterwards.[/QUOTE]Did the drive have multiple personalities afterwards? :bigsmile:

I got this a while back, forget where, but it worked on XP, should work on Vista, haven’t tried though.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/s6bawz

Yes, it was exorcised afterwards. :wink:

The’re baaack!!

[QUOTE=Robert De Niro;2083037]I got this a while back, forget where, but it worked on XP, should work on Vista, haven’t tried though.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/s6bawz[/QUOTE]

That just changes the pretty name that Explorer shows.

@zivija
FWIW, changing the name itself should be fairly straightforward with a hex editor, as long as you are careful to not accidentally change anything else, but given that this is just a cosmetic thing, if you don’t feel comfortable with that, then don’t touch it.

[QUOTE=kliu0x52;2083945]That just changes the pretty name that Explorer shows.

@zivija
FWIW, changing the name itself should be fairly straightforward with a hex editor, as long as you are careful to not accidentally change anything else, but given that this is just a cosmetic thing, if you don’t feel comfortable with that, then don’t touch it.[/QUOTE]
Good to see you around again. :wink: I use your command prompt shell extension all the time and also the ClassicFox add-on. :slight_smile:

Changing the drives name with a hex editor on any recent drive, other than the 20A3 drives, will trigger the patch protection and cause various functions of the drive to fail. I would not recommend doing this.

@zivija, bottom line, don’t try it.

Thanks; I recently got a Samsung drive as a part of a new computer, and I figured that CDF was probably the best place to go to find out more about it.

Patch protection?! Yikes, I did not know that. Does some searching Oh, so this would affect my Samsung, too. Good to know. :slight_smile:

I personally could care less what name(s) my drive(s) show up as just so long
as I get good quality burning results from them. Even if a person was successful
and not kill the drive in the process of changing the name of the drive from ATAPI
to Liteon or what ever name it does not and will not improve the drives burn quality
in the least bit. I would be more interested in trying to improve the drives FW to get
better burns than to worry about what the drive was calling itself. :wink:

[QUOTE=kliu0x52;2084081]Patch protection?! Yikes, I did not know that. Does some searching Oh, so this would affect my Samsung, too. Good to know. :)[/QUOTE]
Yes, lots of protection in the older Samsung drives also. Look in the BIN file for “SFH” at the end of each bank. If there are no "SFH"s then there is only a two part checksum.

OK, after reading all this cons and pros, I decide not to mess up something with hex editor.

Thanx for answers!!!