Changing resolution through hardware?

vbimport

I need to change the resolution of a multitude of software and the best way to do it, IMO, would be with a hardware device, for example a specific video card (or something that would plug between the video card and the monitor) that would convert/output the resolution it gets to 640x480.

If this exists, can anyone point me in the right direction as to where i can buy this, it’s name, etc.?

I’m also somewhat open to software suggestions but only if someone knows “the” software that has done it right and, IMO, it does not exist. They simply do not work. I’d prefer a hardware solution that would work simply and directly with all programs.

I’m not aware of any hardware device, but maybe someone else is. As far as a software solution, what program/s have you tried? What OS are you using? Which graphic card do you have?

Hi,[QUOTE=jearan;2550749]I need to change the resolution of a multitude of software and the best way to do it, IMO, would be with a hardware device, for example a specific video card (or something that would plug between the video card and the monitor) that would convert/output the resolution it gets to 640x480.[/quote]So you want to run a computer at 640x480?

There are a couple of ideas:

1. Uninstall your VGA driver and configure your VGA card to use Windows built-in VGA standard driver. Not sure if that works for you since Windows comes with drivers for many known VGA adapters.

2. Set up a virtual machine. You can nearly configure any resolution you want. Windows98 in VirtualBox runs 640x480 natively.

Michael

Both my video cards (an ATI and an nVidia) allow me to right click the desktop and set the resolution. They both also have a tray app that allows it too, but I don’t bother loading it.

I use XP/GeForce 6200 128MB. VirtualBox was a good try but fails to load certain software, for example some games.

My goal is to change the resolution of software in un-ideal situations (therefore most software will fail because they work in [U]ideal situations[/U]), for example i’d like to change the res of World of Warcraft and [U]a multitude of games in 640x480 (or any res that they don’t support)[/U]. It will have to [U]compress the image to fit[/U] my desired resolution.

Something like THIS!

http://ca.startech.com/product/VGA2DVII-VGAHDTV-to-DVI-I-Scaler-Converter

Maybe even that exact one.

[QUOTE=jearan;2550991]I use XP/GeForce 6200 128MB. [/quote]Same here. Minimum resolution is 800x600.

My goal is to change the resolution of software in un-ideal situations (therefore most software will fail because they work in [U]ideal situations[/U]),
Just to clarify (I still didn’t get it yet): You want to force VGA resolution in order to get more gaming performance?

[QUOTE=jearan;2550994]Something like THIS!
http://ca.startech.com/product/VGA2DVII-VGAHDTV-to-DVI-I-Scaler-Converter
Maybe even that exact one.[/QUOTE]I doubt this will work for your purpose, but I might be wrong.

Additionally, you might have a look at VGA tweaking tools like powerstrip from Entech.

Michael

Windows can be set to use 640x480 in settings/advanced/adapter/list all modes. Problem is i cannot look at higher res because of an eye handicap. Since nothing supports 640x480 anymore, i have to find a work-around.

I’ll probably buy an Ambery hardware scaler. I might get screwed on a technical point since there’s a lot of specs and anything wrong in there can cause it to be useless for me and waste 200$. I almost chose one that, i found out, can only output 60hz. Useless.

A good one does pretty much everything, including framerate conversion.

[QUOTE=jearan;2551022]Windows can be set to use 640x480 in settings/advanced/adapter/list all modes. [/quote]Ah, okay. I missed that.

Problem is i cannot look at higher res because of an eye handicap. Since nothing supports 640x480 anymore, i have to find a work-around.

Perhaps a stupid idea: What about a bigger monitor instead? An LCD TV (~32", 1366x768) should be able to do the job for a nice price. Should be big enough (if not go for 37") so you can see anything, plus you can run it in its native resolution, so there are no problems with the software.

Michael