Changing over all my internal drives to USB?

I have a PC with three hard drives and would like to take them all out and put them into external USB powered cases. Can I do this w/o problems? Is it P&P?

Advice solicited and appreciated.

Thanks.

David

Hi,

your operating system HDD must remain internal (assuming you are running Windows).

Additionally, there might some problems pop up if drive letters change. You’ll have then to manually re-adjust drive letter assignment in drive manager.

Oh, before I forget: USB powered cases might (not necessarily) cause problems, since most draw more power (at least during spin-up) than allowed by USB spec.

Michael

You will need to have your OS drive internal assuming you are using windows.

Depending on whether or not your other drives use SATA or IDE, you will need to get “External drive enclosures” for them.

You will almost certainly need enclosures which have an external power supply as well as those drives will most likely pull more power than the average economical drive that you might find in an “off the shelf” external HDD.

Most enclosures which are USB powered contain laptop HDD’s which are slower and thus use less power.

You ware looking for enclosures that will take a 3 1/2 inch HDD.

[QUOTE=The_Rocker;2292027]You will need to have your OS drive internal assuming you are using windows.

Depending on whether or not your other drives use SATA or IDE, you will need to get “External drive enclosures” for them.

You will almost certainly need enclosures which have an external power supply as well as those drives will most likely pull more power than the average economical drive that you might find in an “off the shelf” external HDD.

Most enclosures which are USB powered contain laptop HDD’s which are slower and thus use less power.

You ware looking for enclosures that will take a 3 1/2 inch HDD.[/QUOTE]

Thanks and points well taken. I ended up with a 500gb external using USB and it will back up automatically all my drives.