Changing Maxtor One Touch I HD?

vbimport

Hello everyone,

I have a 120 GB Maxtor One Touch I External HD that is ok, but I was looking for a HD with more capacity to store all my stuff. I would like to put a 500 GB or a 750 GB inside the external enclosure and use the original 120 GB as a slave HD for my PC. I don’t use the auto one touch backup function, nor any auto backup software or whatever, I keep it simple.

• My question -
    Can I change the HD inside the enclosure without any problem?

Thanks in advance!
Jillll :bigsmile:

Hello Jilll,

Open up the enclosure and take out the old drive first. It’s probably a PATA (IDE) drive (with a 40-pin ribbon IDE connector and a 4-pin Molex power connector). New drives come with either SATA or PATA interface, so you’ll have to watch that - the connections are different.

Then there’s a small chance that the chipset used in the enclosure has a limit as to the max. size of hard drive it can handle. You’ll have to try it out. You could look up the max. size your model One Touch was sold in to be on the safe side.

My drive is a PATA as you thought. From the picture I enclosed, can you tell anything about whether a Maxtor DiamondMax 21 500GB Hard Drive or the Seagate / Barracuda 7200.10 / 750GB / 7200 / 16MB / ATA-100 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive would function properly with the enclosure I have?

You could look up the max. size your model One Touch was sold in to be on the safe side.

Can you tell me a bit more about that? Any Maxtor database I can look up that you know of?

Thanks for helping me out!
Cheers :bigsmile:

I was thinking of the Maxtor support pages :). Have a look here: http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/gb/Main/support.shtml .

If it’s one of the original OneTouch Family, it looks like they only went up to 250GB. So you’ll have to take your chances (or wait for someone more knowledgeable to come along ;)).