Changing from stock cpu cooler to aftermarket?

vbimport

I would ask about replacement of a stock cpu cooler with an aftermarket cooler.

If you have an AM3 and wish to replace with Coolermaster Hyper 212 do you use the existing mount to fasten too? Or must you replace the stock mount with a different one?

Thank you

Hi,

there are coolers that need their own mount, others can be installed using the existing one. You may check the manufacturer’s support website if they have some additional information including installation instructions available.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2505986]Hi,

there are coolers that need their own mount, others can be installed using the existing one. You may check the manufacturer’s support website if they have some additional information including installation instructions available.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thank you for reply

I have no experience with replacing manufacture HSF with anything not already issued as the default. The AMD HSF on the 965 is much louder than I have heard others in the past. Small fan goes to speed of 6000+ RPM and is noisy almost to distraction and annoyance. I will seek to find aftermarket that will mount on factory base in hopes to find a quiet solution.

Thank you for helping

It also depends how much space and other obstructions there is around the processor.
If you have space then something similar to Arctic cooling heat pipe and large fan assembly could be what you are looking for. The large fan turns slower than stock but moves as much air but more quietly.
You don’t say what graphics card you have but the fans on them can be just as noisy but you may not notice that because of the noise the CPU fan is making, but will become apparent when you fit a quieter CPU fan!

Bear also in mind that some coolers are huge, and they need a lot of space also in the case. Some cases cannot contain a too high heatsink so before to buy one, take a look at measures :slight_smile:

Hey Subzero,

I remember you were having problems with your heatsink from a previous thread. Is it possible your heatsink has a bad mount? Do you have any thermal compound available? You should try simply remounting the heatsink with fresh heatsink compound if possible before you go and by a new HSF. Also, is the fan just really loud or does it vibrate and rattle? Because it is possible the fan is a little lose and needs to be screwed in better.

Thank you for replies

I will work with reseating and measure available space around the HSF and size of mounts in case of replacement with aftermarket.

Thank you for helping

I have been instructed that I could remove original AMD fan and put larger AMD fan and the heat sink can stay in like it is and not be removed unless larger fan does not do the full job right. I was told that I release 4 plastic clips the original fan comes off and it did and here is how it is out:

70mm original fan > max RPM over 6000+
80mm replace fan > max RPM over 4300+

Coretemp is same under 60c in both fans used only 80mm is less loud compared to 70mm and that 80mm will stay for days to test.

Thank you for helping find options to solve this

I wish to follow up on cooling. Thank you for helpful replying and for messages with suggesting ways to solve the issue.

With that help it has shown that removing pieces of the clear plastic on the side panel of the case provides good air flow and cooling even using the stock Fan that came with the AMD 965 which now stays below 4000 RPM and 55c under max load. AMD 965 and Nvidia GTX 295 in same case creates much heat but with the solution I mention I hope all changes are good and no more will have to be done to increase cooling and air flow.

Thank you for helping

Here is image of the panel with clear plastic removed:

:clap: Nice system… mine has a real cable mess inside :bigsmile:

Subzero,

She is beautiful! :slight_smile:

Come and join our World Community Grid and Folding@home teams! Check out the links in my sig :cool:

Thank you. I find satisfaction in the solution with the original 70mm stock fan as it fits into the snaps and is what came with the HSF combination.

I also find cable help with 3M Command hooks and adhesive which I use in the right top 1/3rd of the side panel near 5.25" drive bays. Command adhesive comes off clean with no residue and can be put almost anywhere. With use of zip ties and command product I can get good cable control.

Here is link plus picture file:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Command/home/us_en/products/cord_mngmt/

[QUOTE=SubZero;2506242]I have been instructed that I could remove original AMD fan and put larger AMD fan and the heat sink can stay in like it is and not be removed unless larger fan does not do the full job right. I was told that I release 4 plastic clips the original fan comes off and it did and here is how it is out:

70mm original fan > max RPM over 6000+
80mm replace fan > max RPM over 4300+

Coretemp is same under 60c in both fans used only 80mm is less loud compared to 70mm and that 80mm will stay for days to test.

Thank you for helping find options to solve this[/QUOTE]

Just one question is your CPU still in the 3 year AMD warranty? I do know the retail version I have says attempt to replace the cooler that ships with the Retail AMD voids your warranty…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2507480]Just one question is your CPU still in the 3 year AMD warranty? I do know the retail version I have says attempt to replace the cooler that ships with the Retail AMD voids your warranty…[/QUOTE]

Thank you for reply

I think I have no problem if because I did not remove heat sink, only fan temporarily. Original fan is snapped back in place and will remain there now that I have solution working.

[QUOTE=SubZero;2507512]Thank you for reply

I think I have no problem if because I did not remove heat sink, only fan temporarily. Original fan is snapped back in place and will remain there now that I have solution working.[/QUOTE]

Really? My fan and heatsink came as one and there was no way to take the fan off or screw it off as they covered the holes so if you took off the fan they will know for sure. If it is past the warranty I see nothing wrong doing that or if you have the money to spend then switch the fan all you like. I will do that only after 3 years are up for mine.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2507545]I will do that only after 3 years are up for mine.[/QUOTE]
That is the very first thing I do when I buy a new Retail CPU for myself as quick as it comes
out of the box I throw an aftermarket HSF on it and leave the retail HSF in the box as they
are mostly kind of junky and never cool good enough to start with.

The only times I was unable to do that was back in the good old socket 7 days when the retail
AMD CPU and HSF came as one piece already stuck together so back then I started buying OEM
CPU’s so I could do as I liked on the HSF. Then along came socket A and changed all that on the
retail CPU’s no more one piece CPU/HSF. :disagree:

Thank you for reply

The HSF that came with the 965 is 70mm and held in place by 4 plastic clip/prongs. You put small screwdriver flat head and push it only a little and it lets go grip on the fan. Do this two times on same side for having it let go and the fan slips loose. It is very easy.

The 80mm fan I try is also AMD that came with Athlon FX 60 or 4000+ and has AMD logo on it.

Removing clear plastic has fixed all cooling for the machine. I play Unreal Tournament 3 with both GPU’s active and physics on at high resolution and core stay under 60 in worst case and fan near or some above 4000 also worst case, when room itself is 75 F or 78 F temperature also.

So stock HSF is now sufficient even with a dual GPU GTX 295 under full load located under the CPU and heat from card rises and affects CPU to make it warmer I think but now that does cause no problem with heat and fan noise.

I buy from CyberPower and so feel good that it works as shipped without need to remove the Heat Sink at all, so warranty is still valid. They seem a good company and I am glad to have purchase from them. Next time I will if I can order one again ask for a more advanced HSF but one they install so that too is under warranty.

Thank you all for helping

To answer request here is image of computer before removing: