Changing from ATA/100 Burner to SATA

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-111D / DVR-710. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I am new to this, and I am trying NOT to kill my PC out of ignorance.

My Pioneer DVR-1111D internal burner is creating coasters so I have ordered a new Pioneer burner - DVR-217BK. The old burner had an ATA/100 interface, but the new one will have a SATA interface.

I know I will need different cables for the SATA machine, which brings me to

Question 1: Can I simply order a SATA power cable and a SATA data cable advertised as being for a SATA hard drive?

I have noted that my ASUS P5K-V motherboard has two spare SATA ports (the first two being used by my SATA HDDs).

Question 2: If I simply connect up my new SATA Pioneer burner to SATA Port 3 and boot up, will my BIOS auto-detect the new drive?

Question 3: Will I have to edit the boot sequence in the BIOS so that the new Pioneer is seen as my first choice for boot devices (replacing the old IDE Pioneer)?

(I told you I know nothing!)

You should be able to plug in the new optical drive into this particular motherboard and have everything work without issues. As you noted, you’ll need the SATA data cable and the SATA power adapter.

Boot order should also work, but test this by placing a bootable disk in the drive and restart the computer.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2276361]You should be able to plug in the new optical drive into this particular motherboard and have everything work without issues. As you noted, you’ll need the SATA data cable and the SATA power adapter.

Boot order should also work, but test this by placing a bootable disk in the drive and restart the computer.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reassurance. The cables worked fine, and the BIOS “found” the new SATA DVD drive without any fuss.

I did have a problem with my boot order, however. The order I had before was: 1-CD/DVD drive, 2-HDD, 3-Floppy. I could no longer get that boot order. Each time I put the CD/DVD drive first, the floppy insisted on being second. I never really understood why my supplier had included the floppy in the boot order, as I did not order a floppy drive and none is visible (although a floppy does show up on My Computer).

Any way, I fixed the boot order by disabling the floppy drive in the BIOS. So far, the sky has not fallen in, but I found the “phantom” floppy thing hard to understand.

Oh, and I did try booting to my slipstreamed XP CD, and that worked just fine.

Thanks for your help.