Changing DVD±R write strategies (results thread)

vbimport

The purpose of this thread

The purpose of this thread is for people to post results of their write strategy changes. The idea is that people can look at this thread and find out what write strategy replacements might be worth trying.

Posting guidelines for this thread

1/ Please, results only! Questions, comments, suggestions, etc., should be posted elsewhere where appropriate, in the media forum, in a thread of its own, etc.

2/ Please provide detailed information! This includes the media code (the media code block is not necessary, but please do include the media code revision, as provided by DVD Identifier, general information about the media (e.g., for Verbatim media, where it was manufactured is relevant, and for Ritek media, its media grade is relevant), the drive and firmware used to burn, the speed of the burn, and of course, the write strategy that you used (that’s the whole point of this, eh? ;)).

3/ Feel free to post any result that you get! Even if it’s a bad result, you can post it so that people will know not to try it. And please don’t hesitate to post results that are similar to what other people have gotten! It’s very nice to have multiple people post about a certain replacement so that the readers can get a confirmation that things really do work (or don’t work).

The layout of this first posting was adapted from the Liteon/Omnipatcher thread Changing DVD±R write strategies (results thread)

Check the MediaCodeSpeedEdit support for Benq drives thread to find out how to apply the neccessary changes to your firmware.

THANKS ala42… :bow:

More RICOHJPNR01@R02

MID: RICOHJPNR01
Brand: FUJI, juwelcase
Type: DVD+R 4x rated
Burned as: Create Data Disc (Nero image 4.38GB)
Burn strategy used: RICOHJPNR02
Burned at: 12x speed
Burntime: 7:09
Firmware: BenQ ala42_B7T9_repl.

I was too slow to edit the first post. Check the MediaCodeSpeedEdit support for Benq drives thread to find out how to apply the neccessary changes to your firmware.

This is great fun… :cool:

MID: RICOHJPNR01
Brand: FUJI, juwelcase
Type: DVD+R 4x rated
Burned as: Create Data Disc (Nero image 4.38GB)
Burn strategy used: YUDEN000-T02
Burned at: 8x speed
Burntime: 8:53
Firmware: BenQ ala42_B7T9

Crappy 8x DVD-R media at 16x burn speed, is it possible? Let’s see… :stuck_out_tongue:

MID: ProdiscS04
Brand: eProformance
Type: DVD-R 8x rated
Burned as: Create Data Disc (Nero image 4.38GB, movie)
Burn strategy used: ProdiscS05
Burned at: 16x speed
Burntime: 6:35
Firmware: BenQ ala42_B7T9
:smiley:

Bah! OptodiscR004 @ RitekG04 = Even suckier results then the default strategies. Going to try the TTG01 strategy @ OptodiscR004 next, just need to flash… firmware is good to go for it. :slight_smile:

OptodiscR004 @ TTG02 - Burned at 4x - A little better than RitekG04…

Pretty good burn until the spike at the end, but I can’t complain. :slight_smile:

Legacy 4x DVD-R (GSC002) burned at 4x with TTG01 strategy. Reduced my PI Errors on these discs by 50% at least. :slight_smile:

MCC002@MCC003 burned @12x

**** This is extremely exciting!!! ****

Finally, we can get our BenQ scans to look as crappy as the other drives!! :wink: -just kidding…I’m actually very excited about this- I realize that we will see some crappy scans until we learn the RIGHT strategies! Anyway, THANKS SO MUCH Ala42!! Your timing is impecable, so many BenQ owner are bored right now!!

lol…either the RD ppl @ BenQ will love him or hate him…

RitekG04@G05 4x rated burned @ 8x using dvd decryptor:

07:14:25 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:21:53
07:14:25 Average Write Rate: 3,772 KB/s (2.7x) - Maximum Write Rate: 10,933 KB/s (7.9x)

RitekR02@R03 4X rated burnt @12X using DVD Decryptor:

21:50:02 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:06:29
21:50:02 Average Write Rate: 13,606 KB/s (9.8x) - Maximum Write Rate: 16,741 KB/s (12.1x)

I like this media!! :cool:

RitekG03@G04: I have some of this older DVD-R 2X rated. Failed big time!

CD-Speed still shows as 2X. CD-Speed won’t create with that famous error no sense information right from the start.

DVD Decryptor:

07:49:14 Failed to Reserve Track! - Incompatible Medium Installed
07:49:17 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:12

Successful strategy change, 2.4x to 8x, CMCMAGR01@CMCMAGF01 (Philips-branded 2.4x +R)

Another success, 4x to 8x strategy change.

TTG01@TTG02 (TDK-branded 4x -R)

Another working strategy change, increases maximum speed for this media from 12x to 16x.

PRODISCR03@PRODISCR04 (Memorex-branded 8x +R)

A marginal strategy improvement.

MCC003@MCC004 (Verbatim-branded 8/12x +R)

And the last experiment, which I never expected to work, but it almost did… 4x media at 16x :cool:

RICOHJPNR01@RICOHJPNR02 (Maxell-branded 4x +R)