Changing aspect ratio in burning mkv files

vbimport

can someone tell me why convertxtodvd and wondershare will not change the aspect ration when burning mkv files?

i’m thinking maybe a need some codec i don’t have and that may be the problem, but not sure and need expert helps to determine exactly the cause.

i did not have the problem using convertx before. it always worked fine and put the bars at top and bottom for wide screen. now it doesn’t.

i used mkvmerge to change the aspect with both the 2.21 and the aspect ratio section and both burn full screen.

it plays 2.21 in vlc player when i use it to change for viewing but no matter what i try it wants to burn full screen.

can anyone tell me whay it’s happening when it didn’t before? same OS–win7
:bow:

thanks

well whether i get an answer or not…i just noticed my post number in my browser bar

over 2 million 5 hundred 50 thousand posts?

that’s astounding!

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=egresor;2550276]can someone tell me why convertxtodvd and wondershare will not change the aspect ration when burning mkv files?

i’m thinking maybe a need some codec i don’t have and that may be the problem, but not sure and need expert helps to determine exactly the cause.

i did not have the problem using convertx before. it always worked fine and put the bars at top and bottom for wide screen. now it doesn’t.

i used mkvmerge to change the aspect with both the 2.21 and the aspect ratio section and both burn full screen.

it plays 2.21 in vlc player when i use it to change for viewing but no matter what i try it wants to burn full screen.

can anyone tell me whay it’s happening when it didn’t before? same OS–win7
:bow:

thanks[/QUOTE]

I don’t know anything about ConvertX or Wondershare or why it worked one time and not now, but the aspect ratio for DVD’s is either 4:3 or 16:9

yeah

i know the aspect stuff

i have a 5 gb mkv file that’s 1280X712

didn’t pay much attention to ratio’s before, except for 1080p or 720p

the 720p ones always worked to but in letterbox display before, but no matter what i try with the file it will only burn full screen. (no bars)

speaking convertxtodvd and wondershare

tried the mkvmerge and it changes the file ok. when i click on the converted one in vlc player it displays widscreen with proper or close to proper ratio.

when i try ti burn the converted one it still shows as full screen. i’m at a loss for explainations. it’s happened with 2 recent files and i’m wondering if the coding of the mkv container has changed so to not allow alterations. for some reason?

don’t know. figured this forum knew just about everything there is about dvd and files like matroska and could give me some pointers what to check?

maybe i should just re-install windows and see if that corrects it? want to avoid that if possible thoo.

thanks for the attempt

No way should you reinstall Windows for this. I’m not real familiar with Mkvmerge, but are you setting the aspect ration to 16:9? As far as I know Mkvmerge assigns the aspect ration to the CONTAINER, not the video stream, but I could be wrong.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2550499]No way should you reinstall Windows for this. I’m not real familiar with Mkvmerge, but are you setting the aspect ration to 16:9? As far as I know Mkvmerge assigns the aspect ration to the CONTAINER, not the video stream, but I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

mkv has setting for 16:9 4:3 and you can go custom ratios also.

convertx has altering ratio capabilities also, but gives choices that include adding bars and keeping container ratio or cropping or stretching in some degree. i did not try the cropping settings as i have no wish to alter the viewing. I’d just like for it to display wide screen letterbox with the black bars as it did other times.

i just did another mkv file and it converted ratio’s and added bars as normal.

very odd to me that these 2 very recent created files will not allow alterating with mkvmerge or convertx

only thing i can rason is some new sort of coding that mkvmerge hasn’t been coded to work with. other than that i have little reasoning power.

thanks for the answer attempt

Check the original files with Gspot or Mediainfo and see what difference there is between the ones that work and the ones that don’t. Maybe using a different codec, aspect ratio, bit rate, etc.

I actually use Handbrake for all my MKV MP4 conversions, it’s freeware if you want to give it a try.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2550519]Check the original files with Gspot or Mediainfo and see what difference there is between the ones that work and the ones that don’t. Maybe using a different codec, aspect ratio, bit rate, etc.

I actually use Handbrake for all my MKV MP4 conversions, it’s freeware if you want to give it a try.[/QUOTE]

will check handbrake…not heard of ot before

gspot won’t parse mkv files will check the mediainfo one…not used it before

i doubt they will be much use. it probably wouldn’t access something coding related. maybe the details might reveal something but we’ll see

thanks