Changing a region on a dvd disc (Toshiba SDV295 DVD and VCR Player)

[qanda]This thread is about the Toshiba SDV295 DVD and VCR Player. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I brought back a dvd disc from England containing family pictures & audio. I believe that is region 2. It plays fine on my computer but my dvd player cannot read it (it’s Canadian which I believe is region 1) I don’t seem to have a function on the dvd player to change the region. Is there a way to reformat the disc from region 1 to region 2.
Thank You: Ray

Since your DVD is homemade as opposed to commercially made, the problem is likely to be a different video standard (PAL instead of NTSC) and not the region code, assuming it’s actually DVD Video and not just a bunch of video and picture files.

The video standard used in most of Europe is PAL whereas the standard in North America is NTSC. Most Europen DVD players and televisions will play both formats (and so will your computer), but DVD players and televisions in North America are less likely to be multi-standard.

If your DVD does in fact contain video files and pictures, instead of DVD Video, then your DVD player may not support those file formats at all (check the manual).

Converting DVD Video from PAL to NTSC is possible but cumbersome. I’m not sure which programs are “best” for the purpose, but some kind of DVD Video authoring program would be needed.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

Converting DVD Video from PAL to NTSC is possible but cumbersome. I’m not sure which programs are “best” for the purpose, but some kind of DVD Video authoring program would be needed.

It’s actually [I]fairly [/I]easy as long as you don’t mind losing any menus you currently have. It will have to be re-encoded so a high quality encoder like HCenc helps.

If you have Nero Vision you could simply ‘Import Disc’, re-chapter and create new menus and see if the resultant quality suits you. If you have ConvertXtoDVD you can simply load the VIDEO_TS.IFO and do the same. These are the easiest ways. There are also some free solutions that might result in slightly better quality, but there will be a few more steps and apps (and probably some codec fiddling) to be installed.