Changes to Forum Index

The team and I have been discussing the forum index. Currently we have a lot of inactive forums, unfortunately also recently added ones, that might give visitors an idea that we’re an inactive forum, which we aren’t.

Some forums only received a couple of posts per month and some even less. We’ve decided to make them sub forums for now, and if needed their threads will be merged with other forums.

No threads have been or will be deleted.

This makes that our forum index has decreased in lenght and should make it easier to browse. Some subjects are now buried of course, but they were hardly discussed anyway.

This is a decision that can be circumvented so if you don’t agree speak up and we’ll discuss it. Of course other feedback, questions and suggestions are very welcome!

Here is a little feedback that has bothered me every since I signed up. If I spend too long reading replies or typing a reply or go pee and find I need to do something else while I’m there when I come back I have been timed out. If you could give us a little more time to take care of reading or whatever and not get timed out it would make me a happy camper.

Thanks, George

What exact time out do you mean? Are you logged in and don’t check the remember me box or you are typing a reply and doing something else and then not be able to post?

I always wondered how many post myce can handle in it’s archives it seems endless, I agree on not keeping some un-responded threads ,threads that never took off.I take my hat off to you guys on how things are catalog and separated, no easy task.Like yesterdays glich I though now I did it ,I filled it up it won’t take another post.I say do what you have to do you have no complaint from me.

Ivan what’s timing out,it’s not your internet connection is it.

I think George means the time until the forum marks the threads as read. I too have had to switch between ‘New Posts’ and ‘Today’s Posts’ from time to time as the ‘New Posts’ get marked as read.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2663935]I think George means the time until the forum marks the threads as read. I too have had to switch between ‘New Posts’ and ‘Today’s Posts’ from time to time as the ‘New Posts’ get marked as read.[/QUOTE]

I got ya now,maybe something Domi can do.But than it would take longer to update,right.

Some forums are set to ‘Never Expire’. On those there’s a button to ‘Mark Forums Read’. New posts always appear at the top of the list. I kind of like it set that way so I can go back and see what I might have skipped over.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2663952]Some forums are set to ‘Never Expire’. On those there’s a button to ‘Mark Forums Read’. New posts always appear at the top of the list. I kind of like it set that way so I can go back and see what I might have skipped over.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Teddy for explaining and the guy I’ve been calling Ivan is name is really is George:iagree::doh: sorry Ivan …er…George

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2663935]I think George means the time until the forum marks the threads as read. I too have had to switch between ‘New Posts’ and ‘Today’s Posts’ from time to time as the ‘New Posts’ get marked as read.[/QUOTE]

That’s the logout time limit.

If you’re set to remember me it logs back in again automatically when you visit another page and you don’t necessarily realise you’ve been logged out.

As it’s a new session though only the posts since you were logged out are then shown as unread.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Yeah, what olyteddy said. If I spend too long reading a lot of replies to a post it will show last time logged in 20 or so mins. I always start with New Posts when I log in and then have to start over with todays posts posts and don’t know what I have missed. Sometimes I can only log in every few days and wonder what posts I might have missed with just Todays Posts.
Oh yeah name is George Ivan Awfulitch. Most of the time I just go by Ivan, also makes a catchy screen name.

I’d like to fix but not sure how yet. We’ve just done an update to Vbulletin which also includes a fixs for marking forums read. Can you try?

I would like to work with you to fix it. If this doesn’t work I’ll investigate further!

I will try to catch up on some long posts I have been avoiding this evening and let you know how is goes. A BIG THANKS for any and all help to fix this.

George Ivan Awlfulitch