Changeable bitrate in convertxtodvd v 2.0.1.101

I’m actually finding better results with the new version at high bitrate sources and the encoder set to “high” with DVD5 as the target. It doesn’t seem to be much slower than medium quality.

Oh ! Oh ! Oh !

Is that a smile I’m seeing on your face :bigsmile:

Well the bitrate on a movie I tested was reduced from 9000 to about 8000 at high quality. This made it fit on a DVD5 (4.3 gigs) and didn’t seem to be much slower. At medium quality, the bitrate gets cut down to about 4000 and takes about 2 gigs.

Hi there,

Well the bitrate on a movie I tested was reduced from 9000 to about 8000 at high quality. This made it fit on a DVD5 (4.3 gigs) and didn’t seem to be much slower.

Ok, now redo the same file with a DVD9 (or a large custom size) selection, it should NOT reduce the bitrate, and see what bitrate it gives you, and compare the output size !

Hello,
In the settings, “burning” folder you have an option “Add original files to DVD (if possible)”

If this option is set, all the original files are added to the final DVD, and their size is taken into account for the bitrate computation.

So, if you have this option set you may end up with less space for more episodes, as the size taken for the original of the episodes will be bigger, so the size devoted to the video is smaller.

Solution: Uncheck this feature, and you’ll always have full size for the video.

please note: this option was set to true by default when starting 1st time convertx. in the future version it’ll defaulted to false.

oh wowwwwww…let me try this out…ill keep it for conversion overnight tonight (in 2 hours) and post the results of it as soon as possible, as i got college in morning tomm so itl b after i come from college…boy oh boy this seems as the last n most possible resort hehe

heyyyyyyyyy guys…it works…sry for da late post, my isp conked off…

I
LOVE
CONVERTXTODVD

blushes

enjoy!!

[QUOTE=lapinou;1282512]Solution: Uncheck this feature, and you’ll always have full size for the video.

please note: this option was set to true by default when starting 1st time convertx. in the future version it’ll defaulted to false.[/QUOTE]

Some time has elapsed since that quote. However, I’m using convertxtodvd (v. 3.2.3.81) and that suggestion doesn’t work. I processed a 3 hour movie and chose maximum quality, but it only came to 4.13GB.

I did same thing with two alternative freeware programs, DVD Flick and Free DVD Creator and both these produced better quality video with VIDEO_TS folder sizes of 4.20GB and 2.30GB (!!) respectively.

With only 87% of full DVD-5 space used, there is clearly room for a higher bitrate and/or a better compression codec.

I used to be very pleased wth Convertxtodvd, but with more efficient freeware programs of better output quality appearing, I’m becoming somewhat disenchanted with it. It should ideally have either a bitrate trimmer or direct access to the compression codec.