Change your name back to cdfreaks

vbimport

Well as a longtime member well since 2003 and I used to come to this site often. I dont visit this site much these days and I think the main reason is I hate your new name myce :sad:

I love to see what others and think and hear it from those in the know why you changed your name and would you ever consider going back to
cdfreaks. :flower: I think that name rocked and it was one of the main reasons I kept coming here.

/rant-off

I come here due to the people that frequent the site and not for the name placed on it. I understand why the name was changed. CD discs are going the way of the buggy whip so the site has to change to attract new members. Otherwise, it will fade away.

[QUOTE=UTR;2697170]I come here due to the people that frequent the site and not for the name placed on it. I understand why the name was changed. CD discs are going the way of the buggy whip so the site has to change to attract new members. Otherwise, it will fade away.[/QUOTE]

Everyone knows what CD freak is, What does myce mean mice maybe?

CDFreaks was owned by two people. One bought the other out. The one who got the site wanted to shift focus over to consumer electronics, and chose to follow MySpace in naming. A very unfortunate choice, as MySpace has dwindled into obscurity.

So the original intent of the new name was My Consumer Electronics. But the site has never been that successful in consumer electronics. We do follow some of it, but we didn’t have enough original content in that area, or enough energy/focus/determination to succeed there. We never came close to turning into AVSForum.

Now Domi is back as the sole owner, but it is too late to change the name back. And as UTR says, cd’s are darn near obsolete and quickly becoming irrelevant.

Our primary focus these days is on storage technology. This broad umbrella can hold both the old tech (cds, dvds, blu ray) and more current storage paradigms like SSD’s, usb flash drives and hybrid storage drives.

As for MyCE, it can stand for whatever you want. Though anything that won’t pass the rules for obscene language in the forums should probably stay with you.

Well then Let me add this to the thread if you have a suggestion for a different name then please add it to your post. I cant think of nothing atm but I will get back with it.

[QUOTE=mikemn;2697171]Everyone knows what CD freak is, What does myce mean mice maybe?[/QUOTE]

Actually, not everyone knows what “CD Freaks” are. The CD is dying off quickly and I would bet many younger people have never bought, or burned, a CD. When I first came to this site there were many threads relating to disc burning. Now they are few and far between. That should be your first clue as to why this site has to change in order to survive. Since I have been coming here the site has become more of a social club than a tech site.

IMO, this site needs to capitalize on the shear volume of knowledge the members collectively have and the sense of community. This site has something other sites can only dream of having in these respects. It is always better to play to your strengths and not your weaknesses.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2697172]CDFreaks was owned by two people. One bought the other out. The one who got the site wanted to shift focus over to consumer electronics, and chose to follow MySpace in naming. A very unfortunate choice, as MySpace has dwindled into obscurity.[/QUOTE] Maybe we should follow another social networking site’s naming and call this site… FacePalm ?! :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=UTR;2697174]Actually, not everyone knows what “CD Freaks” are. The CD is dying off quickly and I would bet many younger people have never bought, or burned, a CD. When I first came to this site there were many threads relating to disc burning. Now they are few and far between. That should be your first clue as to why this site has to change in order to survive. Since I have been coming here the site has become more of a social club than a tech site.

IMO, this site needs to capitalize on the shear volume of knowledge the members collectively have and the sense of community. This site has something other sites can only dream of having in these respects. It is always better to play to your strengths and not your weaknesses.[/QUOTE]

I disagree about CD becoming irrelevant. I know that there a lot more ways to share files but who doesnt have a CD burner in there computer. Sure there are a lot that can burn DVD and Blue Ray as well but every burner can burn CD when needed

Mikemn, thank you for bringing this up, I really love it that there are still old CDFreaks here, that even miss the name. I would give so much for all those old members to return! Within the staff forums the name has been a much discussed issue and I think many still would love the old name back, but also understand the reasons why we can’t make it happen.

Kerry already explained what happened, I was the founder and owned the site with someone else. Years ago we couldn’t agree on the direction of the site, it was clear that the optical storage market was declining. We both had different views on the future of the site and due to health issues I was unable to continue to fight for my ideas, I had to give up and go out.

Exactly why I left and what I feared happened, the site went downhill, name, layout, content all was not what people expected from us and I understand that a lot of people left. I created the site for CDFreaks, the people that visited the site and I was always trying to think how we could serve them better. To me the site was not as a money machine that had to be full of adverts. Something that it ended up to be.

In 2012 I had the opportunity to get it back. From the site as I left was fortunately something left, the great team of dedicated people that decided to stay, they stayed while they didn’t agree on the direction and the name of the site. They weren’t supported by the owner but without any support but somehow they stayed together and kept the site up, something I’m really really grateful about.

Now I’m back and I hope to make clear that it’s a site for our members again, not to fill with adverts and other crap. Yes we need money to keep the site running, but it shouldn’t affect the usability of the site too much. I also try to support our review team as much as possible and try to initiate new ideas.

By focusing on optical storage alone we wouldn’t have a bright future, as unfortunately the market of our beloved plastic shiny discs is declining. But we also don’t have the resources to focus on a large market like consumer electronics. Instead we’ve decided to focus on computer storage at its whole, optical storage, HDDs, flash memory cards, SSHDs and SSDs. In this market we hope to bring the extensive quality reviews as you were used from our optical storage era and we hope that soon people will also find our ways to our forums again to discuss these products. I think that if you see our SSD reviews they are high quality reviews that are the or among the best reviews on the internet.

Why we don’t go back to CDFreaks is not only just the name, as Seán once mentioned, why not call it computer drive freaks? The change from CDFreaks to Myce.com made the site lose almost 50% of its visitors, if we would lose another 50% again, the loss would be too big and that would be very frustrating to everyone who dedicated their spare time to the site.

We hope that the spirit of CDFreaks will continue to live due to the presence of our dear members, the new ones but also the old names that seem to be residents here and have never gone away for long. After all the spirit of our members and the discussions together is what this site what makes it. Neither I, a name or an individual can make this site, it’s a great group of people that together make it to what is.

Things got wrong a couple years ago and I sincerely regret that, it was my baby and I didn’t see it grow up as I liked. But fortunately there were some people who took care of her very well and now I’m back we’ve started to build again.

I really hope you will stay and contribute, I hope you will ask your old friends to return, get other people here and bring back that great atmosphere for which you joined, years ago. I hope also other people reading this will, help is much appreciated, I can’t do it alone!

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2697185] why not call it computer drive freaks?[/QUOTE]

:bow::bow::bow:

[B]C[/B].[B]D[/B].Freaks…:clap:
Terrific idea!!!:iagree::iagree:

I saw Seán give that suggestion once, so please give him the credits :wink:

Still the paragraph about why we can’t change the name is still valid, so unfortunately not something we could do at the moment.

And thanks for still being around, it’s great to continue to see your name here!!!

Hi :slight_smile:
I could see a need to change the name/direction of the forum.
Whilst I was one of many who could not disguise their disgust for the actual name.
Even commented on initial forum layouts “as looking like someone had gone mad with the playdoh”.
To revert back isn’t a viable option.
We have to make the most of what we still have.
Forums in general are facing an uphill struggle to keep/expand membership.
I believe what is needed.
A gradual learning curve/adaptation, to what the modern user(s) require.
So positive feedback is of the most importance.
Along with active participation of of course.

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2697185]Mikemn, thank you for bringing this up, I really love it that there are still old CDFreaks here, that even miss the name. I would give so much for all those old members to return! Within the staff forums the name has been a much discussed issue and I think many still would love the old name back, but also understand the reasons why we can’t make it happen.

Kerry already explained what happened, I was the founder and owned the site with someone else. Years ago we couldn’t agree on the direction of the site, it was clear that the optical storage market was declining. We both had different views on the future of the site and due to health issues I was unable to continue to fight for my ideas, I had to give up and go out.

Exactly why I left and what I feared happened, the site went downhill, name, layout, content all was not what people expected from us and I understand that a lot of people left. I created the site for CDFreaks, the people that visited the site and I was always trying to think how we could serve them better. To me the site was not as a money machine that had to be full of adverts. Something that it ended up to be.

In 2012 I had the opportunity to get it back. From the site as I left was fortunately something left, the great team of dedicated people that decided to stay, they stayed while they didn’t agree on the direction and the name of the site. They weren’t supported by the owner but without any support but somehow they stayed together and kept the site up, something I’m really really grateful about.

Now I’m back and I hope to make clear that it’s a site for our members again, not to fill with adverts and other crap. Yes we need money to keep the site running, but it shouldn’t affect the usability of the site too much. I also try to support our review team as much as possible and try to initiate new ideas.

By focusing on optical storage alone we wouldn’t have a bright future, as unfortunately the market of our beloved plastic shiny discs is declining. But we also don’t have the resources to focus on a large market like consumer electronics. Instead we’ve decided to focus on computer storage at its whole, optical storage, HDDs, flash memory cards, SSHDs and SSDs. In this market we hope to bring the extensive quality reviews as you were used from our optical storage era and we hope that soon people will also find our ways to our forums again to discuss these products. I think that if you see our SSD reviews they are high quality reviews that are the or among the best reviews on the internet.

Why we don’t go back to CDFreaks is not only just the name, as Seán once mentioned, why not call it computer drive freaks? The change from CDFreaks to Myce.com made the site lose almost 50% of its visitors, if we would lose another 50% again, the loss would be too big and that would be very frustrating to everyone who dedicated their spare time to the site.

We hope that the spirit of CDFreaks will continue to live due to the presence of our dear members, the new ones but also the old names that seem to be residents here and have never gone away for long. After all the spirit of our members and the discussions together is what this site what makes it. Neither I, a name or an individual can make this site, it’s a great group of people that together make it to what is.

Things got wrong a couple years ago and I sincerely regret that, it was my baby and I didn’t see it grow up as I liked. But fortunately there were some people who took care of her very well and now I’m back we’ve started to build again.

I really hope you will stay and contribute, I hope you will ask your old friends to return, get other people here and bring back that great atmosphere for which you joined, years ago. I hope also other people reading this will, help is much appreciated, I can’t do it alone![/QUOTE]

That’s a fantastic explanation DoMiN8ToR! :clap:

TBH I think the community here has always been the important thing, and it was this that inspired us all to stick together, even when things were being pushed in the wrong direction.

The community is still paramount and with all our members’ help we can not only make this the place where everyone feels valued but also the place where everyone wants to be.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=mikemn;2697181]I disagree about CD becoming irrelevant. I know that there a lot more ways to share files but who doesnt have a CD burner in there computer. Sure there are a lot that can burn DVD and Blue Ray as well but every burner can burn CD when needed[/QUOTE]

As an example, I am not half way through the 100 disc stack of CDs I bought 2-3 YEARS ago. With advent of HDTVs even the venerable DVD is speeding toward obsolescence. I have gone from burning 100 DVDs a month to about 100 every 4-6 months. Other storage mediums are much more useful than DVDs. I have a 2.5" 1TB USB 3.0 external hard drive I bought for the price of 2-3 100 stacks of DVDs. I can take it anywhere I go and connect it to virtually any computer I need to. I don’t even need a power supply to run it as it is powered from the USB port. Things like this are killing off the disc market and it will only get worse as time passes.

I really wish Google implemented its major Panda/Penguin updates a few years earlier as these updates have heavily clamped down on and penalised the things the former manager did and may have even prevented the renaming altogether.

Sadly, Google’s updates have also now made it very awkward to consider renaming back or to any other name. If we rename, it would be practically impossible to get every site linking to us to update their links and Google’s ranking algorithm now heavily focuses on quality incoming links, unlike a few years ago when the site was renamed.

As I really wanted to help get back the CD Freaks theme especially for those who miss it, the best I could do was repair the forum theme that was used before the site switched away from the orange/blue theme. This actually happened a few years before the site was renamed. Thankfully the theme was not deleted, but as its icons were lost due to newer themes overwriting the older icons, I managed to restore most of them from old screenshots, recover the button images as well as getting the theme updated to look like the few screenshots I had.

For those who would like to use the old theme, you can select it from the drop-down at the very bottom of this page:

Sadly I can’t offer a similar theme for the news/review pages due to an entirely different CMS in use back then.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2697172]So the original intent of the new name was My Consumer Electronics.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe the acronym had been explained before & I missed it.
At least now I know the reason for the myce name selection.

I still think: What the hell was the former owner thinking ?

I also understand the possible cost of changing it back or to something better than myce.

IMO I think this forum would stand up to a better name change or even a change back . But I’m not the accountant or bean counter.

@ Seán , Even though I don’t use the old forum style . I could.
So the effort of fixing it is appreciated.

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2697185]Mikemn, thank you for bringing this up, I really love it that there are still old CDFreaks here, that even miss the name. I would give so much for all those old members to return! Within the staff forums the name has been a much discussed issue and I think many still would love the old name back, but also understand the reasons why we can’t make it happen.

I really hope you will stay and contribute, I hope you will ask your old friends to return, get other people here and bring back that great atmosphere for which you joined, years ago. I hope also other people reading this will, help is much appreciated, I can’t do it alone![/QUOTE]

Yo JW-

Thank you SO much for the detailed explaination!

I am a dyed in the wool [B][I]CDFreak[/I][/B] and always will be - regardless of what the name of the site is - we know the truth and the truth will set us free-eh!! :bow::clap::bow:

What about CEFreaks it kinda close in name and it keeps you Consumer Electronics part intact? And I goggled it and nothing showed up. :cool:

[QUOTE=mikemn;2697252]What about CEFreaks it kinda close in name and it keeps you Consumer Electronics part intact? And I goggled it and nothing showed up. :cool:[/QUOTE]

That name was actually suggested at the time of the original change.

Our focus has altered since then though so that wouldn’t really reflect our current ethos and as DoMiN8ToR says we’re now concentrating on all forms of digital storage.

Plus as Seán and DoMiN8ToR have said above we’re now in the position where any name change would very severely affect site traffic which is something that we’re all keen to avoid.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2697190]I saw Seán give that suggestion once, so please give him the credits ;)[/QUOTE]

OK,by this reply I do…:wink:

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2697190]
And thanks for still being around, it’s great to continue to see your name here!!!
[/QUOTE]

THX for the kind words…they made me blush a little bit… :o :wink:
I’m a bit like herpes…not Always prominent ,but around for ever with no chance to get rid of…:bigsmile::bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Wombler;2697263]Plus as Seán and DoMiN8ToR have said above we’re now in the position where any name change would very severely affect site traffic which is something that we’re all keen to avoid.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

I understand…this is something that neither 1 of us wants,and TBH,most regular users,me included,underestimate the effects of a name change for the site traffic and page ranking…