Change the date format

vbimport

Hi:

Is there a way to change the displayed date format? Here in the US, the convention is mm/dd/yyyy. It’s annoying to have to decode dd-mm-yyyy format (which doesn’t sort properly in a text string either)

Thank you in advance.

– Roy Zider

You already adjusted the time zone here: http://club.myce.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

Michael

[QUOTE=FUBARinSFO;2609348]Hi:

Is there a way to change the displayed date format? Here in the US, the convention is mm/dd/yyyy. It’s annoying to have to decode dd-mm-yyyy format (which doesn’t sort properly in a text string either)

Thank you in advance.

– Roy Zider[/QUOTE]
Yeah, and here in the US we have inches, feet, yards and Farenheit. Most of the rest of the world [I]does[/I] use dd-mm-yyyy…:iagree:

Thank you in advance.

– Roy Zider[/QUOTE]

Yo Roy-

You have a VERY good point.

A vast majority of our members are from the good old USA.

This is yet another example of the minority imposing their will upon the majority-eh!!

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2609480]
A vast majority of our members are from the good old USA.

This is yet another example of the minority imposing their will upon the majority-eh!![/QUOTE]cough
May I remind you that this is a dutchwebsite. Yes, that’s in Europe.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2609545]cough

Michael[/QUOTE]

Betcha those dutch guys still wear those funny wooden shoes and stick their fingers into dy… oops what am I saying??? :o:o:o

:doh:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2609545]cough

Michael[/QUOTE]

Yo Michael-

cough

[B][I]AGAIN[/I][/B] - you have missed my point entirely.

I am keenly aware that this is a Dutch site - which is in Europe - which is also losing [B][I]activity[/I][/B] and [B][I]participating[/I][/B] members on a [B][I]daily[/I][/B] basis - and will soon [B][I]die[/I][/B] completely.

[B][I]Why[/I][/B] you ask?

The [B][I]reasons[/I][/B] lie in the [B][I]details[/I][/B] - and [B][I]management[/I][/B] should [B][I]start[/I][/B] finding ways to [B][I]stop[/I][/B] the hemorrhaging [B][I]before[/I][/B] it is too[B][I] late[/I][/B].

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2609566]Yo Michael-

cough

[B][I]AGAIN[/I][/B] - you have missed my point entirely.

I am keenly aware that this is a Dutch site - which is in Europe - which is also losing [B][I]activity[/I][/B] and [B][I]participating[/I][/B] members on a [B][I]daily[/I][/B] basis - and will soon [B][I]die[/I][/B] completely.

[B][I]Why[/I][/B] you ask?

The [B][I]reasons[/I][/B] lie in the [B][I]details[/I][/B] - and [B][I]management[/I][/B] should [B][I]start[/I][/B] finding ways to [B][I]stop[/I][/B] the hemorrhaging [B][I]before[/I][/B] it is too[B][I] late[/I][/B].[/QUOTE]

Mike they don’t care…:rolleyes:

they should have seen this a LONG time ago. I guess thats why Domi got out when he did…he saw the writing on the wall…and since the name and management change its progressively gotten much worse…

In this thread we’re talking about the possibilities of changing the format of dates displayed, don’t we?
So I’d suggest to again turn the discussion in this intended direction.

If you like to have a “MyCE Doomsday” discussion, then please start a new thread. Thanks.

Michael

Looking at an old thread from 2004 it’s an old wish.

Not all European countries use the forum default time/date formatting.

In Sweden we use the military format - YYYY-MM-DD.

Isn’t it just changing a setting in the forum software to allow it to be changed on user level by an admin?

[QUOTE=Gummigutta;2609641]Isn’t it just changing a setting in the forum software to allow it to be changed on user level by an admin?[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately not. As far as I remember, it’s a forum wide setting which cannot be customised by each user. :frowning:

Thanks – guess no matter how flexible and capable computers have become, there are still some people who haven’t gotten the memo.

Thank you in advance.

– Roy Zider[/QUOTE]
In comparison to MM/DD/YYYY - which makes total sense.

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2609480]A vast majority of our members are from the good old USA.[/QUOTE]
Has management provided specs on that?
The vocal majority, I will agree on.

As a side note, the whingeing poms will have to hand in their heavyweight “whingeing” title, as they’ve been outclassed. The trophy and the ribbon too.

[QUOTE=Gummigutta;2609641]In Sweden we use the military format - YYYY-MM-DD. [/QUOTE]
And that’s what I use for filing business documents, because THAT makes sense.

At any rate - seriously? Does the date format really make a f@#$g difference.
There are bigger things to worry about.
Why the f@#$k is this an issue now? Most of the US members have been on the forum for years, and never complained …

If the date format means that much to them, compared to the site … seriously? WTF? The site mustn’t mean that much to them (anymore).

That said, the management for this site does indeed suck harder than toothless two-penny whore, and they should listen to forum members about significant issues …

The date format is a f@#$g molehill compared to the mountains of issues this site has.

[QUOTE=debro;2609966]In comparison to MM/DD/YYYY - which makes total sense.[/QUOTE]Hah! Agreed totally this is the most retarded way of having a date, “Hey what’s the date” why it’s the tenth month of the 31st day. WTF!!!

This is kind of on topic . A while back I was trying to decipher an expiration date on some canned goods. On contacting the company I found the way they dated was by the number of days in the year . So the 92 meant the 92 day of the year which would be April 2 . Hows that for screwed.

Cholla – agree completely, I guess 1-365 is shorter in BCD than any 4-digit day-month code.

On the issue of my main question, I guess it’s not getting any traction here with all the denials of its importance and such. I don’t know the history of this board, and have no particular beef. I don’t claim this is a big problem, so dismissing it as not a big problem is a sort of straw man argument, it seems to me.

What I am suggesting is that in fact this is such a small problem it is a no-brainer. That is what has surprised me about some of the comments on this thread. The server-side programming talent required to implement a user-selectable date format is pretty trivial.

The web pages here are served up in Javascript. If you google ‘javascript date format function’ you’ll get about 1,560,000 hits in 0.11 seconds. I assume that whoever has developed this site is smart enough to follow these links in the event they have forgotten the utter variety and customizability of date and time formats in Javascript.

Here’s a link to just one of them:

http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/jsref_obj_date.asp

– Roy Zider

[B]JavaScript Date Object[/B]

« Previous
Next Reference »

[B]Date Object[/B]

The Date object is used to work with dates and times.
Date objects are created with new Date().
There are four ways of instantiating a date:
var d = new Date();
var d = new Date(milliseconds);
var d = new Date(dateString);
var d = new Date(year, month, day, hours, minutes, seconds, milliseconds);

For a tutorial about date and times, read our JavaScript Date Object tutorial.
[B]Date Object Properties[/B]

PropertyDescriptionconstructorReturns the function that created the Date object’s prototypeprototypeAllows you to add properties and methods to an object
[B]Date Object Methods[/B]

MethodDescriptiongetDate()Returns the day of the month (from 1-31)getDay()Returns the day of the week (from 0-6)getFullYear()Returns the year (four digits)getHours()Returns the hour (from 0-23)getMilliseconds()Returns the milliseconds (from 0-999)getMinutes()Returns the minutes (from 0-59)getMonth()Returns the month (from 0-11)getSeconds()Returns the seconds (from 0-59)getTime()Returns the number of milliseconds since midnight Jan 1, 1970getTimezoneOffset()Returns the time difference between GMT and local time, in minutesgetUTCDate()Returns the day of the month, according to universal time (from 1-31)getUTCDay()Returns the day of the week, according to universal time (from 0-6)getUTCFullYear()Returns the year, according to universal time (four digits)getUTCHours()Returns the hour, according to universal time (from 0-23)getUTCMilliseconds()Returns the milliseconds, according to universal time (from 0-999)getUTCMinutes()Returns the minutes, according to universal time (from 0-59)getUTCMonth()Returns the month, according to universal time (from 0-11)getUTCSeconds()Returns the seconds, according to universal time (from 0-59)getYear()Deprecated. Use the getFullYear() method insteadparse()Parses a date string and returns the number of milliseconds since midnight of January 1, 1970setDate()Sets the day of the month (from 1-31)setFullYear()Sets the year (four digits)setHours()Sets the hour (from 0-23)setMilliseconds()Sets the milliseconds (from 0-999)setMinutes()Set the minutes (from 0-59)setMonth()Sets the month (from 0-11)setSeconds()Sets the seconds (from 0-59)setTime()Sets a date and time by adding or subtracting a specified number of milliseconds to/from midnight January 1, 1970setUTCDate()Sets the day of the month, according to universal time (from 1-31)setUTCFullYear()Sets the year, according to universal time (four digits)setUTCHours()Sets the hour, according to universal time (from 0-23)setUTCMilliseconds()Sets the milliseconds, according to universal time (from 0-999)setUTCMinutes()Set the minutes, according to universal time (from 0-59)setUTCMonth()Sets the month, according to universal time (from 0-11)setUTCSeconds()Set the seconds, according to universal time (from 0-59)setYear()Deprecated. Use the setFullYear() method insteadtoDateString()Converts the date portion of a Date object into a readable stringtoGMTString()Deprecated. Use the toUTCString() method insteadtoLocaleDateString()Returns the date portion of a Date object as a string, using locale conventionstoLocaleTimeString()Returns the time portion of a Date object as a string, using locale conventionstoLocaleString()Converts a Date object to a string, using locale conventionstoString()Converts a Date object to a stringtoTimeString()Converts the time portion of a Date object to a stringtoUTCString()Converts a Date object to a string, according to universal timeUTC()Returns the number of milliseconds in a date string since midnight of January 1, 1970, according to universal timevalueOf()Returns the primitive value of a Date object

[QUOTE=cholla;2609968]This is kind of on topic . A while back I was trying to decipher an expiration date on some canned goods. On contacting the company I found the way they dated was by the number of days in the year . So the 92 meant the 92 day of the year which would be April 2 . Hows that for screwed.[/QUOTE]
That’d be fine also, as long as they indicate the year.

It’s a PITA for a consumer to figure it out by hand, although an approximation by just dividing by 30 should be more than sufficient.

Well processed canned food lasts upwards of 30 years regardless.

I’m unsure of the nutritional value of said food, either immediately after canning, nor after 30years.

Probably still healthier than MacDonalds fresh hamburgers in any case :stuck_out_tongue:

And agreed, management could implement the order of date the in user settings rather trivially. But it really is trivial, and it’s probably been considered trivial, and just overlooked. It’s not some European Overlord enforcing their will upon the people regarding a trivial date order.

It’s interesting to note that, without real data, that US considers itself “majority” at the site. With 320 million people in a 7 Billion populated world, the USA makes up less than 5%, population wise.

Assuming that 100% of the USA, but only 1:10 of china and 1:10 in india and 1:2 in europe have a computer with associated online access, the USA makes up just over 1/3 of the computer world. And that’s excluding Canada, Australia, Britain, Japan, a Myriad of Asian countries, the entire continent of Africa, Island nations and a whole bunch of other countries that I couldn’t be bothered remembering the name of.

Extrapolating that breakup to this site would suggest that upto 1/3 of users are from the USA - I wish that 33% majority could impose it’s will on the minority 66% in politics … it’d make life alot easier, right?

[QUOTE=cholla;2609968]This is kind of on topic . A while back I was trying to decipher an expiration date on some canned goods. On contacting the company I found the way they dated was by the number of days in the year . So the 92 meant the 92 day of the year which would be April 2 . Hows that for screwed.[/QUOTE]

We use that format for our purchase orders.

[QUOTE=debro;2609984]And agreed, management could implement the order of date the in user settings rather trivially. But it really is trivial, and it’s probably been considered trivial, and just overlooked. It’s not some European Overlord enforcing their will upon the people regarding a trivial date order.[/QUOTE]
We’re using vBulletin here which is a complete forum software solution and the manufacturer seems to have decided that users should not be able to change their personal date/time format.

Yes, it is probably not too difficult to add/change some code to allow users to use their own format, but then every time you update the forum software you would have to apply the patch again and the actual benefit for this is rather low in my opinion.

Management can’t make a feature request?
Is Myce paying for the use of VBulletin? If yes, Myce can expect some form of support & feature requests. If it’s open source, I’m sure someone with a few spare minutes on their hands, and an overwhelming urge to implement a time format that makes absolutely no sense, can implement this trivial feature to get it off the feature request list.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2610006]Yes, it is probably not too difficult to add/change some code to allow users to use their own format, but then every time you update the forum software you would have to apply the patch again and the actual benefit for this is rather low in my opinion.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. This issue is completely “bike shed paint colour”.