Change name from nec 6650 to nec6500?

vbimport

Is it possible to convert an inadvertently converted NEC6650 back to the NEC6500 that it was originally? If yes, how do i do it? Many Thanks.

I wonder how you did a conversion from 6500 to 6650. These are completely different drives with different hardware, so there’s no way to convert between them.

Liggy,
Is it possible that I might have flashed the firmware meant for nd6650 onto an nd6500 dvd drive so that it shows up in device manager as ND6650? Or is that impossible?
If that was the case, can I flash it back into the 6500?
Sorry for being such a NOOB, and thanks in advance.

If you’d managed to do this, your drive would not be working anymore.

What does my NEC Drive Converter tell you about the drive type you have? (“Current Drive” value)

Dear Liggy,
Thanks for your input… please bear with me as I tell you my story.

The basics of my story are in this post:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=177720
Please especially see the screen cap pics at the bottom of the post thread.

After I received the dvd drive that dell sent me after my initial problem, I flashed it with a bin flash utility. I am not sure now whether I inadvertently used the wrong bin file. Dell support claims that they sent me a nd6500A unit, but when I examine it using your drive convert utility, it tells me that it is a nd6650 (please see attached pic). The drive continues to be able to read purchased dvd movies, and cd data disks as well as movie disks. The only hang up seems to be with data dvds. I am at a loss here. I spent 4 hours on the phone with dell support doing all kinds of things…
(1) edited the registry (lower and upper filters deleted)
(2) installed new bios
(3) installed new intel chipset
(4) unchecked DLA
(5) enabled recording
(6) reinstalled power dvd and Sonic
(7) changed boot sequence to cd/dvd drive followed by HDD
(8) countless other things that I cannot remember!
but they have been unable to help.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

Maybe this has been asked before but what does the label on drive tell you about model, manuf.date and serial number.

Most probably you got a 6650 from Dell. :slight_smile:

pinto2,
Surprising but there was no label on the unit!
I have looked all over the damn unit but cannot find it.
I am really frustrated now.

Sigh :wink:

The basics of my story are in this post:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=177720
Please especially see the screen cap pics at the bottom of the post thread.

This seems to be quite normal for a Dell supplied NEC drive in a Dell PC.

Dell support claims that they sent me a nd6500A unit, but when I examine it using your drive convert utility, it tells me that it is a nd6650 (please see attached pic). The drive continues to be able to read purchased dvd movies, and cd data disks as well as movie disks. The only hang up seems to be with data dvds.

Regardless what Dell told you, they definitely sent you a 6650. I wouldn’t complain about it :wink:

(1) edited the registry (lower and upper filters deleted)
(2) installed new bios
(3) installed new intel chipset
(4) unchecked DLA
(5) enabled recording
(6) reinstalled power dvd and Sonic
(7) changed boot sequence to cd/dvd drive followed by HDD
(8) countless other things that I cannot remember!
but they have been unable to help.

(9) Install a clean Windows from scratch without any additional software and see if you can read data DVDs this way.

If you cannot install a new Windows, you might try something like Bart-PE or Knoppix. Did you already try a bootable DVD at all and see if that one works?