Change Manufacturer ID on DVD+/-RW?

Even though I am pretty sure it cannot be done and that it sounds like a silly question I do have a legitimate reason for asking. I have a Sony camcorder DVD403, which is one amazing piece of hardware, but as Sony likes to do it to us (bend over please!) the camcorder “doesn’t like” other types or non-sony types of media, 8cm dvd. If non-sony is inserted then I am greeted with a warning “Sony Media Recommended”.

I have Optodisc DVD-RW double sided 8cm disks … and they work just fine in the camcorder. But I am a bit annoyed by this warning. I mean considering how much I paid for the camcorder I do feel that Sony crossed the line here.

So my question is… can I write Sony’s MID onto the disks instead of Optodisks. Is that doable at all…

… No? , Bleh I knew it!.. Damn Sony!

Oh yeah and for the reference, Optodisc DVD-RW 2.8GB (double side) cost $3.75 CA per disk, whereas Sony asks $23.99 CA for the DVD-RW 2.8GB (sony style shop). They so piss me off sometime…

And to make this NEC related … I have a NEC 3540.

All I can suggest is for you to make it a point not to purchase another Sony product in the future due to the fact that the folks at Sony seem to have some kind of sick fetish with “proprietary” technologies and/or features. I almost always steer clear of Sony electronics with the exception of a very few items… like their Playstation consoles and sometimes blank media… but only if the price is right of course.

I hear you brother… but the camcorder IS top notch, it beats the hell out of any other dvd camcorder out there. Sony tv sets kick ass as well. They know that… they try and do abuse that. IN MANY WAYS. And you’re right, it’s plain sick. If I could just swear for a moment now … but in fear of getting banned from one of my favourite forums… I will refrain. UGhgh…