Change from ZCLV to CLV writing

Is there a way to change the method a DVD writer burns a disc for example changing from ZCLV to CLV at a certain speed? Or this is something set in the firmware that cannot be changed?

Thanks

Fully rewrite the burning procedure within the firmware…

[QUOTE=chef;2229500]Fully rewrite the burning procedure within the firmware…[/QUOTE]

So there’s nothing to do about it.

My HP Compaq notebook has a Optiarc DVD RW AD-7561A GH09 which uses only ZCLV to burn DVD-Rs and it burns only unreadable discs. I couldn’t find any firmware or support for this drive anywhere. I was thinking that maybe changing the burning method from ZCLV to CLV could help.

If the drive burns unreadable DVD-R, the poor burns are not caused by the ‘RPM strategy’ [CLV/CAV and their variants]; they are caused by poor media, a poor burner, a bad combination of the two, or some other computer/user error.

What media are you using? Like HP 16x DVD-R, Verbatim 16x DVD-R, Sony 8x DVD-R, etc.

And in what context is the disc unreadable?

[QUOTE=Albert;2229569]If the drive burns unreadable DVD-R, the poor burns are not caused by the ‘RPM strategy’ [CLV/CAV and their variants]; they are caused by poor media, a poor burner, a bad combination of the two, or some other computer/user error.

What media are you using? Like HP 16x DVD-R, Verbatim 16x DVD-R, Sony 8x DVD-R, etc.

And in what context is the disc unreadable?[/QUOTE]

I have tried two different DVD-R media till now a Grundig ME153 and a TDK TTH02. The Grundig DVD-R failed verification after burning with Nero and the TDK passed verification with difficulty. Both have PIEs over 300 maximum and very large PIFs, more then 160 maximum on the Grundig disc.

I’m starting to think of a poor burner problem :frowning:

Since it seems that no support/firmware exists for the Optiarc DVD RW AD-7561A, I decided to replace the drive or buy an external usb writer.

Thanks for the help, Chef and Albert.

BTW, there MAY be a chance for swapping write strategies if MCSE supports the drive.

Your AD-7561A is made by QSI. They are not known to build good writer. Try your luck with Verbatim disks.

[QUOTE=chef;2233368]BTW, there MAY be a chance for swapping write strategies if MCSE supports the drive.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately MCSE doesn’t seem to support the drive according to the drive list on their website and another problem would be that I haven’t got a firmware file to modify.
But a good idea all the same, thanks Chef.

[QUOTE=ala42;2233375]Your AD-7561A is made by QSI. They are not known to build good writer. Try your luck with Verbatim disks.[/QUOTE]

Thanks ala42, I didn’t know the drive was made by QSI. I have searched their website but there is no support for their drives. Very unprofessional, the poor quality of the drive continue to proof that.

Do you happen to know to what QSI drive the AD-7561A correspond to, please?

I have also tried Verbatim disks with similar results.