Chaintech S1689....PX-712SA...Did I Goof?

This is my first post and my first look at this forum…I am stoked to get this issue solved so I can start ripping through these posts…but to the question on hand…

I have the HW as listed…I have not been able to use my Plex since i put this setup together…

Plextor is sure that its a Chaintech issue and since I cant seem to get anyone on the phone who can speak english that I can understand…Plex turned me on to yah…

I cant get this drive to do any burning…It reads and plays everything…but as soon as i got to formatting erasing…all kinds of crazy stuff happens…

Anything from inexcessability …all the way to BSOD’s…

Plex told me to post here and you wouldnt let me down…lets see what yah got…

Does anyone know of this issue and how to fix it?..And yess I searched but didnt find anything out about this issue or a fix…but saw that many had CHain MB and working…

HELPPPPP PLSSS

Bud :sad:

What do you use for burning? Nero? ImgBurn?

If this happens with both of them: Did you try to change the interface in ImgBurn, i.e. SPTI, ASPI and maybe ElbyIO? Did you try different ASPI layers with ASPI?

That board uses a Uli main chipset. I’m not sure what chipset it uses for SATA, but it isn’t likely it will work correctly with the 712SA…

<EDIT> Upon further research, it appears the SATA is also a part of the Uli main chipset and not separate. I highly doubt Uli’s SATA implementation properly supports ATAPI SATA devices.

Isn’t it possible to take the SATA converter off the drive and use it’s ATA interface?

I know the SA versions of their drives are simpily ATA versions with a SATA converter, but I have never owned/taken off the converter on one of these drives.

Should be possible: http://www.ixbt.com/optical/plextor712s/plextor712sa-back2.jpg

Hey hwp,
Thanks, but I’m not sure your link is working.
edit: found the pic, please find attached.

Anyway, this could be your solution if you have a free IDE plug budhisetiawan :slight_smile:

thx for all the feedback…We were able to get it to burn files to CDR’s but still a no go on the CDRWs…Getting a BSOD and lockups…Havent tried the DVD’s…If have to get rid of the drive want to be able to sell w/ all stuff and only got the one DVD that came w/ the drive…

Alex:

I am using the provided EZ by Rox…

Ad, Hwp, & Two:

There is a bios update for this board but i cant seem to get it to dowload…like a bad link or something…I am totally not cool w/ taking this thing apart…it is brand new and If i goofed fine…will put the old one back in…I just wanted to burn DVD’s so bad…and suppsibly plex was one of the best…oh well…

Bud

I just wanted to burn DVD’s so bad…and suppsibly plex was one of the best…oh well…
Well, so far, it’s not clear if plextor or chaintech or even Roxio is responsible for this problem.

What is the BSOD message exactly, and in which file does it occur? Usually, the BSOD screen contains that information. If it is something like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL then you can be pretty sure that it’s a driver problem.

hmmm…I know at the bottom it says dumping physical mem…at the top…I cant think of what it is…will have to do it again to find out…

hmmm…i tried to reproduce the BSOD by quick formatting and this time after a little bit …i got an error stating there was a problem w/ sending a command to the drive…

Will try the BSOD by full format…just thought i would add a piece to the puzzle…

Hmmm…this time different message…this time it says…

“Format operation on drive F:\ failed: Windows reported an error. Error code=2.”

Anyone hazard an more guesses?

BSOD…“Machine Check Exception”

So now what?

here is a list of all real windows BSODs. I can’t find yours… this sounds more and more like EZ has installed a driver into your system that actually creates your problem (yes, drivers can create their own BSODs)

so …a full unistall?

So should i do the bios update that i have found for my MB?

Did i say something wrong? Havent had any input on my last 2 questions…I went ahead and uninstalled EZ…but do i do the update or not and then which first…install EZ…or update bios?

try updating the BIOS before doing a full reinstall. I’m not sure if either are going to help as I don’t know much about the errors you are getting.

ok …updated bios…didnt notice anything different but…didnt think i would…rarely do i ever see noticeble changes on a bios update…

Now install EZ?

You said that erasing a RW disc BSODed. Now try to erase such an RW disc with another application. Then, install EZ again and try to erase a disc using EZ.

Did i say something wrong? Havent had any input on my last 2 questions…
The problem with your problem is that it is a weird problem :doh:

I dont have another application! This seems to be the problem…lol