Certainly Good News for all the Australian Pirates here

vbimport

… has been shelved due to prohibitive costs - Australia is too expensive for the pirate hunters.

Typical!!

They push and push and push to have these systems made compulsory yet they haven’t even looked at the basics such as costs. :rolleyes:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2768554]Typical!!

They push and push and push to have these systems made compulsory yet they haven’t even looked at the basics such as costs. :rolleyes:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

It should have been part of the equation from the start. I also wonder how effective this will be to catch people seeding using VPN/SeedBox/whatever protection. The true pirates switch seeding location several times each month and if this system proves ineffective towards catching them, nothing is gained apart from scaring occasional downloaders.

“Detecting IP addresses participating in torrent swarms” indicates that they will be concentrated on direct connects to the swarm from an ISP and not VPNs. This raises another question as well, what swarms?

In the end, I think this challenge can only be solved through a long term strategy trying to change the attitude towards it.
I base this view in that the history concerning Pirate downloading (roughly lined up: BBS/Modeming - News/Usenet - FTP/WEB - Torrents/Magnet/Streaming) so far indicates that it is impossible to get rid of illegal downloading by force.

It probably would be a smarter way to deactivate the torrent protocol hence no more torrenting/seeding around.

I wonder torrenting has been invented just for pirates or is there anything else it is useful for?

However, I guess it’s mainly about making money out of pirates hence this will not happen.

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2768578]It probably would be a smarter way to deactivate the torrent protocol hence no more torrenting/seeding around.

I wonder torrenting has been invented just for pirates or is there anything else it is useful for?

However, I guess it’s mainly about making money out of pirates hence this will not happen.[/QUOTE]

There are indeed legal uses for torrents (it is, in it self only a way to transfer files and help minimize server bandwidth usage). Among others Archive.org has it as a download option (Billie Holiday just as an example).

I have no doubt that it can be used legally but this is the cornerstone tool for pirates to distribute illegal contents fast - without it the scene would be hampered quite a bit, no?

Maybe, but it is too useful. Even Microsoft is using file sharing technology in updates for Windows 10. It is enabled by default unless you do a custom install.

And torrent sites are even now switching to direct streaming of torrents, rather than downloading. This might get more popular since it is harder to monitor.

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2768580]I have no doubt that it can be used legally but this is the cornerstone tool for pirates to distribute illegal contents fast - without it the scene would be hampered quite a bit, no?[/QUOTE]
In addition, the scene does not use P2P to any extent. It is like I told you before leaked releases that makes it to torrent-sites… Mostly through scene hangarounds. The scene itself is pretty old-school still using FTP/WEB/Other. Like mentioned, they are a small group of people (it is just the media hyping it up and seemingly, they have managed to convince you).

Most of what you will find at torrent-sites are actually made available by users of that site either by ripping CD/DVD themselves or posting a download from another torrent-site - and they are for the most ordinary people with only a couple of ‘releases’ each… Now when, just for the sake of an example, 200.000 or more do that, you get numbers.
What the scene provides in all this through leaks are many, but not all of the pre-release and 0-day torrents as far as music and movies goes.

To try to give you an idea how big this picture is, I can use my own country. In Norway, we are about 5.000.000 people and I guess about 100.000 use torrent-sites frequently and about 200.000 have used them from time to time.
How these numbers are in other countries, I would not know, but I do not think Norway is unique in any way.

I thought I should clarify as I may come forth as a pirate to some in various discussions on the forum which is as far from the truth as you can get…
If you look closer, it should become evident that I defend Jane and John Doe only, but I do care about privacy and security and not only mine :iagree:. Many of the subjects are tangled though and so defending privacy and security for the general public also means defending pirates. The latter is not my goal in any way - it is an undesired side effect which I can not and will not do anything about as the first simply is too important.

It is like this:
[ul]
[li]Being a former member of the scene, even knowing how they operate does not mean that I defend them, I’m known to do the opposite.[/li][li]Knowing how trackers and torrent-sites work does not make me a pirate, it only gives me a better overview in a discussion concerning the subject.[/li][li]Having knowledge how to crack programs does not mean that I crack, on the contrary I use my knowledge to help companies survive using old programs on updated operating systems.[/li][li]Keeping a lock on my PC in the form of encryption, passwords and controlling what enters and exits the PC on the network does not mean I have something to hide, it is only taking IT security seriously and for exactly the same reasons that you have a lock on the door to your house to not have strangers entering at will.[/li][/ul]

With that said, I do oppose to any automated system that in reality will only affect Jane and John and not work towards what it is designed for.
The system mentioned here seems to be such a system judged from the information I have found so far. In other words, they can not catch the ones they want to catch so they will go after everybody else instead… How’s that for logic, barking up the wrong tree?

:flower:

No one cares you being a pirate or not - the scene is slowly suffocating itself and Hollywood is mostly producing junk hence who wants it?

Just yesterday I watched the new Tom Cruise (Edge of Tomorrow - 2014) on Stan. The idea as such is not bad but what has come out of it? … another Groundhog Day in a military setting - double MEH!

If you got nothing better to do watch it (sigh)

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2768720]… - the scene is slowly suffocating itself…[/QUOTE]

What information do you base this statement on?

Well for one - as said above the movie quality overall is on the decline hence less interest in owning that junk.

For two - this is my secret but one hint is a new technology called movie (player/device) “finger-printing”. You’re leaving breadcrumbs all the way until you play that movie. Don’t ask any more!

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2768722]Well for one - as said above the movie quality overall is on the decline hence less interest in owning that junk.[/QUOTE]Poorly chosen words - what is junk is jewels to others. Don’t presume to know mine or other viewers choice of movies.

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2768722]For two - this is my secret but one hint is a new technology called movie (player/device) “finger-printing”. You’re leaving breadcrumbs all the way until you play that movie. Don’t ask any more![/QUOTE]

That makes no sense…breadcrumbs are you torrenting or something here? You buy the media own it play on your standalone. Explain to me how your leaving breadcrumbs here? And with your wifi off on the device player there is no breadcrumbs. Looks like were grabbing for straws here.