Cendyne/Verbatim to LiteOn

vbimport

I just got a Cendyne 32x12x40 drive. It's labled as a Verbatim 321240A and that's what XP recognizes it as.

From other things I've read and from the format of the serial number, it's clearly a LiteOn (12 char all numeric).

I'm unable to flash the liteon firware because it says that I don't currently have liteon firmware in the drive.

Is there any way to "covert" this to a true liteon? If so, how safe is the procedure?

Thanks!
Lex

Read the MTKFLASH turtorial, that will explain what to do.

If you look at the drive itself, it should be labeld that lite-on made it. If this is the case, then go ahead, you shouldn’t have any problems.
I know others have done it, try using the search feature of this board.

Thanks…followed that procedure…no problems at all…i have a lite on 32123S now :slight_smile:

Well, thanks to Lex i was able to find this forum and turn my verbatim into a lite-on…my only questions is rahter stupid…why did I do it? Didn’t my Verbatim have the exact same capabilites as my lite on or did the bios flash add some new capabilities…I’m just curious…it makes me feel better that i see lite-on for my drive considering i only paid $30…thanks staples!!!

Lite-on releases the firmware fixes first (they make the drive), then they farm it out to others, so they can change their name.

So if you don’t mind waiting a few months (or longer) for Verbatim, cendyne or whoever else, then there is no real reason for doing it. It just depends how much you are willing to wait for them to finally ship out new firmware for your drive.

And some do never release updated firmware versions…

One possible problem with the conversion.

In recorder info in Nero, it’s telling me that the recorder buffer is 1968KB.

Why isn’t it 2MB?

I asked someone else who did the conversion and they said theirs says 2MB. I’ve also seen that in some of the review screenshots that have been posted on various sites.

I even booted to DOS and redid the flash.

I’m using nero 5.5.8.2 and I flashed in XS0U.

I really don’t know what the recorder buffer said before I flashed from a verbatim to a liteon.

The drive seems to be working fine and I doubt the 80KB makes a difference, but why?! Is it possible the buffer isn’t working at all?

Thanks!

So if you don’t mind waiting a few months (or longer) for Verbatim, cendyne or whoever else, then there is no real reason for doing it. It just depends how much you are willing to wait for them to finally ship out new firmware for your drive.

Not quite, there’s another reason too.

Seems as if certain software doesn’t recognize the drive as a verbatim but does as a liteon. I can confirm this being the case with retrospect express and I’ve also heard that EZCD doesn’t recognize the verbatim, so there’s another reason.

After the upgrade the buffer is 1968Kb.

This is since some of the buffer is now used for internal commands and can’t be used as buffer anymore…

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]After the upgrade the buffer is 1968Kb.

This is since some of the buffer is now used for internal commands and can’t be used as buffer anymore… [/B]

So that’s normal then? Would someone with a “true” liteon have a 2MB buffer though and why do you think someone else said they did the update and still have a 2MB buffer?

Was there a particular firmware rev where this changed?

Thanks.

Nope, all lite-on’s with the newest firmware have 1968kb buffer. But some programs may not be that accurate and just report 2M since it’s still close to 2Mb.

Ask the person to use Nero Info Tool and it will have 1968kb as well(if the drive have the newest firmware version).

just double checked and for the record it’s 1984KB, but that doesn’t really matter.

Great board here…thanks…looks like I’m all set with everything now.

Thanks!

I also got a Cendyne drive from staples. My brother works there so we got hooked up with a 30$ rebate out the door, plus the mail in. Sweet Deal. I also got a Verbatim drive. However XP shows the drive as Verbatim 321240AL and not a Verbatim 321240A. Is there any difference here, and will I still be able to flash it to a Lite On 32123S ?

Look at the front, do it look like a Lite-On?

What firmware version do it have? if it is 4 letters/numbers then it’s probably a Lite-On.

Verbatim241240AL ATAPI RAW-96 Burn Proof YES
(24/10/40 Lite-on OEM)
Verbatim321240AL ATAPI RAW-96 Burn Proof YES
(32/12/40 Lite-on OEM)
Verbatim401248AL ATAPI RAW-96 Burn Proof YES
(40/12/48 Lite-on OEM)

On 26th of May this info was posted here : TDK VeloCD 32/10/40

Repeating is the mother of learning :wink: