Cendyne CW4001 and Imation 48X media problems

ok my cendyne burner is only burning at 16X without errors with imation 48X media…anything higher than 16X and i get buffer errors in any burning prog…nero…alcohol…fantom…all the same…odd part is nero cd info lists the drives maximum as 16x while alcohol/fantom lists it at 40…so i’m kinda curious as to where i should be looking for fixes…the drive itself…or another type of media

Imation media is often crap.
But buffer errors? Sure you have DMA on?

Yikes, I just realized, I sound just like alex! Oh no! :slight_smile:

Media does not generally cause buffer problems. Burn speed does, however, cause buffer problems. I suspect that either you have DMA disabled on the IDE channel, or you are doing something else like burning MP3’s or disc copies on the fly.
As for the media, yes it is also poor quality.

Originally posted by Airhead
[B]Imation media is often crap.
But buffer errors? Sure you have DMA on?

Yikes, I just realized, I sound just like alex! Oh no! :slight_smile: [/B]

Yep…that’s why i’m stumped on this one…drive is set to dma if possible for channel and device is in udma 2 mode…it’s the damnest thing i’ve ever seen…i was making a backup of the new staind unplugged dvd using dvd2svcd so everything is in bin/cue file format…if i put the burn speed at max or select 40 x manually it will start the burn and make it to about 9-12 % then lock up for about 5 minutes then spit a buffer error at me…then i repeated the same process and set burn speed to 16X and cd’s burned perfectly…i’ve never seen anything like it especially since nero drive info is listing the drives max burn speed at 16X while fantom and alcohol both show 40X