Cendyne 52x Lite On Question

vbimport

I got a Cendyne 52x from Office Max today. But there was no sticker on the box that has the model number. Is there a way to tell if its a lite on without installing it? Thanks.

That’s weird. Usually, the model number is listed at the very bottom line of the specifications on the back of the box. Of all the Cendyne 52x’s I’ve seen at OfficeMax, they’ve all printed LTR-52246S. If the label isn’t there, you can always carefully lift the sticker to avoid breaking it, install the unit, and check.

Look for a part number on the drive case, or just the typical LiteOn faceplate, they are unique.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Look for a part number on the drive case, or just the typical LiteOn faceplate, they are unique.

I don’t really know what a liteon faceplate looks like. Do you have a photo of one? This Cendyne I got has two buttons. How many do liteons have?

HERE
Click the “see it” link in the product description.

Thanks for the pic, I see the liteon only has one button. I don’t have a liteon for sure now.

Even I got a non-Lite-On Cendyne 52x, it is CRW-5224A, apparently an Asus.

I have no experience at all with Asus… is it better or worse or atpar with Lite-On ? I’ve been burnt with a BenQ last month… so don’t want anything like that

Keep the ASUS :bigsmile:

Keep the ASUS :bigsmile:

Really ? I see you are the mod and would expect you to know better :smiley: So is it confirmed that CRW-5224A is an Asus and Asus is better than the Lite-On ?

I think I have the CRW-5224A too. So its a pretty good CD-RW? Is it worth keeping?

I can’t say whether what you have is an ASUS. I wouldn’t say the ASUS is better than LiteOn, but it’s probably as good, and is better than the Benq.

I can’t say whether what you have is an ASUS. I wouldn’t say the ASUS is better than LiteOn, but it’s probably as good, and is better than the Benq.

I just looked at Asus website and the model is indeed as Asus model

http://www.asus.com/products/optical/crw-5224a/overview.htm

I would love to hear something more about the quality of Asus though.

Anyone here would like to vote for Asus vs Lite-On (basically I want to know how good Asus is)

cdrlabs quite liked the Asus 52x drive, read their review @ http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=161

I read the review, I didn’t get the feeling that “quite liked” was the conclusion. Have a look at my recent posts on this drive
here. It’s not a terrible drive, and performs very well with a limited range of media, but is clearly not producing the same quality burns as the LiteOn. I’m satisfied with mine based on the $19 price.