Cellophane in CD envelope bonding to disc - damage

I have what could be a very serious problem. For quite some time, I’ve kept CDs in paper envelopes (purchased at Future Shop) which include round cellophane windows in them. I’ve recently noticed that the clear cellopohane is bonding to the face of the CD (the bare spots that don’t have factory labelling printed on them) and peels it away from the disc surface when it’s removed. This is also peeling away the reflective layer and, needless to say, making the discs completely unreadable.

Naturally, the first thing I did was throw away the empty, unused envelopes. Unfortunately, I may have hundreds of discs at risk that have already been put in these envelopes. I don’t know yet if it’s happening to all of the discs that are in those envelopes, or just a particular brand. The one’s I’ve noticed it happening to are 80-minute PNY brand (www.pny.com) CD-Rs, and they’re marked as 16x speed.

Am I a fool? Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions?

i’ve heard of this before, and I know that the plastic window in some of the envelopes that I have used bonded to some of my CDs, but they were Princo, and were not damaged by pulling it off. I would suggest getting a cheap CD-Rom that you don’t mind potentially destroying, and just cut around the cd leaving the cellophane on it, and copying at a low speed if any of these have critical data. Sorry to hear about that, hope that you can get all of your data back. i’m in a similar mess, I burned a lot of KingPro CD-Rs and I have recently discovered that they are losing all the data stored on them, so I feel your pain.

btw, I know that PNY CD-Rs are especially bad about the record surface peeling from the disc. I had some and they would begin to come apart for no reason.

Update: It’s not as bad as it could have been, since many of the discs I was worried about are not the PNY brand and don’t have the problem. Never again will I purchase PNY discs, obviously. Also, a number of them are SVCDs which still seem playable along their whole length in my Apex AD-600A, despite the fact that the recording surface has lifted away (it remains attached, but it’s bubbled - the moiré interference patterns are kind of weird).

Some of these discs might be recoverable by copying at low speed, but putting them into any newer drive seems to not work. It could be a difference in firmware between the Apex and my CD-RW drive, or it could be a matter of speed. Just the high rotation speed of a newer CD-RW drive (much higher than an SVCD player would need, obviously) might make it worse once the problem begins, and I suppose the discs would spin up to high speed when first put in, even if I tried to read them off at a lower speed.

Anyway, it doesn’t seem as urgent as I first feared, but it still pisses me off. Beware this combination.

I wonder if you warm them slightly if it would peel off easier?

Originally posted by rdgrimes
I wonder if you warm them slightly if it would peel off easier?

Best not to warm these I think. I’ve had them before and the slightest little temperature change makes them bubble up. The only difference with my situation was that the discs had not been mis-used at all. They were kept in a CD album and never exposed to temperature extremes. They just began to get bubbles.

I got at home about Noname 500 CD-Rs from Taiwan in shrinkwrap and they also bond together, but this is usually no problem.