CEA gives 4K a new name and requirements - get used to Ultra HD

I just posted the article CEA gives 4K a new name and requirements - get used to Ultra HD.

The 4K resolution gets a new name…

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/cea-gives-4k-a-new-name-and-requirements-get-used-to-ultra-hd-64415/](http://www.myce.com/news/cea-gives-4k-a-new-name-and-requirements-get-used-to-ultra-hd-64415/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Stepping stone to 8K Ultra HD… once you buy an affordable 4K TV, 8K Super Hi-Vision (7680x4320) will come by 2020 or sooner.

I have to wonder why we need more resolution. After all, these days loss of sharpness comes from MDCT artifacts, not number of pixels. If you have a TV the size of a garage door, more pixels does start to make sense, but most people don’t. I couldn’t even imagine trying to get such a TV inside my house, let alone storing that many pixels, except by the new MPEG HEVC, which I’m pretty sure isn’t available yet.

I can’t say that I find 4K that impressive. 8K, on the other hand, is such a huge step up that it blows away most current IMAX theatrical presentations. Although 8K is not 3D, it blows current 3D 1080p out of the water by giving you incredible depth using only a 2D system. Once you see 8K, everything else looks low resolution.

Most people care about content first… and that is the major problem here since a lot of content is not future proof in the digital age. Since most modern US television dramas and many movies have moved away from 35mm motion picture film to the Arri Alexa digital system, they are “stuck” at a maximum of 2.5K resolution or even less depending on the frame capture size which could be 1080p for TV series since the thought is that nothing more is needed.

Film IMAX = 10,000 X 7,000

Digital IMAX = 2,048 x 1,080

8K UHDTV = 7,680 × 4,320

In 2012, IMAX have started switching the over to Barco digtial projectors which produce 12,000 X 8,700.

Actually the digital T.V. market has become a shootout and it’s Arri Alexa that trying to keep up with Red One which is now offering 5k out of the box.

:cool::cool:

And to think, I waste my precious shopping seconds with 1920x1080 vs 1920x1200 mix-ups!

Arri Alexa has a much cleaner blue channel than the Red One (useful for digital composting which is all the rage) and has an easier workflow/ergonomics IMHO. I think the Alexa looks better at 1080 than the RED. Very few shows are using Red compared to Alexa (Leverage is shot on Red at 4K). The Sony F-65 offers 8K… well, at least they say it does. It is 8K internal (or at least by Sony’s math), but samples down to 4K for output. The 8K raw ability is not available yet… at any rate, for TV shows, I would bet that 90% of them are only shooting at 1080p max resolution since that is all that is needed for current broadcast. Even Big Bang Theory, given the high ratings, is only shot on older Sony F900 with Panny primo lenses!

Sometimes the decision comes down to the director of photography’s personal preference, which is often based on prior experience with a particular product, and thus a degree of trust and familiarity that has already been established. A director of photography will often make different choices depending upon the style and likely production circumstances of a particular project, choosing the most appropriate device for the job.

Producers, particularly those involved more with post production, will sometimes weigh in with an opinion based on likely post paths for the particular show, including turnaround requirements, likely footage counts, required daily and final deliverables, and capabilities of a particular post facility that they might want to work with.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2660316]If you have a TV the size of a garage door[/QUOTE]

I just got an erection. :slight_smile:

LOL – too much info…

[B]CEA gives 4K a new name and requirements - get used to Ultra HD[/B]

Not if you’re Sony…http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57536443-221/sony-wants-to-keep-4k-name/

Honestly, I never thought anything higher than 4K (3840 x 2160) would be considered as a consumer optical format. I think 1080p is better than 480p, and I can definitely see the quality difference on a 47" LCD from 12’ away. Personally, I welcome 4K, but I think that’s where I, as a consumer, draw the line. Even with a 70" television, you shouldn’t need anything above 4K. I hear it’s so clear that it spank 3D’s ass. Can’t wait to buy all my movies in Ultra HD. Gotta keep those fat movie studio execs in filet mignon, ya know.

Duke, not me! I want the 64k along with my 14tb hard-drives AND running 50% faster, too. ha ha

But like Oly points out, I think it’s fun to see Sony (“Leader of the Pack” vroommm, vroommm) saying they’re going to keep a 4k moniker installed. With 8k not too far away, I think it’s completely silly and shortsighted to think consumers will accept “HD, UltraHD” and 8k’s ?? “UltraUltraHD” as viable marketing distinctions.

Personally, if Google & Chrome can take over video manfacturing, we might have 20 or 25 versions in a few more months!

Then, Duke, you can knock those walls out of your house and install nothing but TV flatscreens as walls themselves. “No need to repaint, honey! Just replace the flat panels!!” Pretty soon, they’ll be measured in feet, then meters!

“I feel like I’ve into a sports arena!” And I’m thinking about Kramer and that neon-red Fried Chicken place across from his apartment window…zzzt zzzzt…

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2660799]Duke, not me! I want the 64k along with my 14tb hard-drives AND running 50% faster, too. ha ha

But like Oly points out, I think it’s fun to see Sony (“Leader of the Pack” vroommm, vroommm) saying they’re going to keep a 4k moniker installed. With 8k not too far away, I think it’s completely silly and shortsighted to think consumers will accept “HD, UltraHD” and 8k’s ?? “UltraUltraHD” as viable marketing distinctions.

Personally, if Google & Chrome can take over video manfacturing, we might have 20 or 25 versions in a few more months!

Then, Duke, you can knock those walls out of your house and install nothing but TV flatscreens as walls themselves. “No need to repaint, honey! Just replace the flat panels!!” Pretty soon, they’ll be measured in feet, then meters!

“I feel like I’ve into a sports arena!” And I’m thinking about Kramer and that neon-red Fried Chicken place across from his apartment window…zzzt zzzzt…[/QUOTE]

You taking dexies Christine? :stuck_out_tongue:

I will stay with my black and white tv it has worked for 60 years now do not see why I need a new one

I’m waiting to say "Beam me up . I’m ready to check out the halodeck ".
I would set the safety for fighting the first couple of Klingons.

Hmmm… maybe I should wait for Mega HD.