CDspeed 1.02e is at odds with Kprobe on mixed CDs; looks like Kprobe is right.
Having just got a Verbatim 52x (presumably a 52246S equiv), I proceeded to test the hell out of it outside the case. No C2s, and few C1s. Couldn't be nicer.
I then wired it up in the removable drive cage and did one last test, to be sure all was ok before mounting the drive cage and closing the case up. I grabbed the first data disc at hand to copy, just as a simple test. That was the original pressed disc of the Verbatim software bundle - Nero Express and Nero Vision, from Ahead/Nero, used by many vendors who rebadge Lite-ons. I never installed it because I already have a full copy of Nero - it just happenned to be there. I suspect that may of you will have this disc or something like it as part of your own drive bundle.
I did the copy using Nero, and routinely tested the copy with CDspeed.
What a surprise!
I'd show you the test results, but I don't seem to have privs to post the shots here as attachments, so I'll describe the results:
CDspeed CD quality test-
Fine till it hits the "end of disc" vertical line at 64 min. Then passes that line with a repeatable 35280 errors, slows way down, goes out to 66 minutes, with at least one red line at 64 minutes! Same behavior and same number of errors every time.
I repeat - it shows an end of disc at 64 minutes, but passes it and goes out to 66 minutes!
[B]CDspeed scandisc - [/b]
Can't/won't do file test, all green blocks except for one red block not at the end, looks like it might match up with the behavior at 64 minutes. If so, the map shows end of disc at 66 minutes..
Average C1s, NO C2s, many slips reported at bottom. Tests out to 66 minutes.
What the hell is going on?
I go back to Nero itself and ask it about "medium info" - the disc -presumably a data disc - has got 3 tracks in one session!!! The extra tracks are audio tracks, about a minute each, and the leading track is indeed data - 64 minutes!
I go back to the main panel in CDspeed and see that it in fact it says that this is a "Mixed CD", but it puts the length at 64 minutes, not 66.
Finally seeing the light, I test all over again, using the original pressed disc, and get identical results on all tests (obviously with a different count of C1s).
What we have is a pair of unexpected audio tracks as the second and third tracks (they sound like noise on the left channel (track 2) then the right channel (track 3), I seem to recall). The data goes as far as 64 minutes, and the two audio tracks go as far as 66 minutes.
The ironic part is that Nero CDspeed botches testing the Nero Express disc!
Nero CDspeed correctly detects the audio tracks in the CDspeed main panel as a mixed CD, but immediately below that, it says it's only 64 minutes. CD Quality Test is firmly straddling the middle ground by first showing 64 minutes, then blowing past 64 minutes to read the audio tracks and report massive errors at 64 minutes. Scandisc does a somewhat better job by apparently recognizing 66 minutes as the extent to begin with, but it seems to record an error at 64 minutes.
All this would have been completely confusing without Kprobe's report of no C2s and 66 minutes.
I don't have any other mixed CDs that I am aware of, so I can't be sure if the same problem will show up on other discs, or is for some reason unique to this disc. Given that the copy was an accurate copy of the pressed disc, I'll bet this behaviot is "normal" for mixed mode, as Nero had no problem making the copy in spite of Nero CDspeed's problems.