Cdspeed isnt as accurate as many think

vbimport

people on the forum have been saying that you can check the quality of a cdr with cdspeed. i would disagree strongly. i have burnt many shitty cds with my old burner and the plastation has great trouble reading the cdr, eg. there is skipping in music and movies on the games and sometimes they will freeze. when i check all the cds in cdspeed it gives me a 100% reading saying it is all good. this happens because cdroms and writers have very powerful lasers and dont have trouble reading compared to lots of cd players and playstation consoles. so i wouldnt use cdspeed as a quality checker but rather an error/condition checking program.:cool:

1: A disc that scores bad in CD-Speed is most likely worse than one that scores good. This do not autimatically mean that the disc is good read by crap readers like playstations.

2: So, do you have an alternative way to test the discs?

Isn’t the PSX notoriously fussy about CDR’s?

BTW, CD-R Inspector does a half reasonable disc test. But I think I’ll be sticking with CDSpeed until something a bit more reliable than a PSX disproves it’s abilities.

Hi,

Don’t just rely on the scandisk ‘all-green’ test as a proper check - listen to the disc as it is tested. Many cd’s may pass all green but slow down during testing and some writers i.e fussy Plextors, will make nasty noises and slowdown on dodgy discs even though the scandisk and quality check pass.

If an important disc shows any sign of giving problems being read then I would not trust their longevity.

Ice’y

Have to agree with Icey on this one. An acceptable disc for me is all green, full speed-read.

I remember the time I tried 16x Imation on my 16x LG burner. It was slow, yellow AND made the drive emit odd vibrating noises! :eek: I’ve stayed away from CMC since, and will never touch it, not even with a large stick.

On the other hand, my 32x@40x LG doesn’t slow down on most C2 sectors, and the test is always done full-speed even on the most damaged discs. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by OC-Freak

2: So, do you have an alternative way to test the discs?

sure there are

1. is sanyo’s um doctor pro

2. Liteon have something special that you need to ask to get it

some examples are…

Woooh, nice!
Is the black one Lite-On’s test?
What’s it called?
And how do I get it? :slight_smile:

Yes! Please tell !

1: Um doctor works with sanyo drives only and only for 10 tests and after that is limited to test 5 mins of the CD.
2: The guy at Lite-On that I asked did not know any such programs for Lite-On.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
1: Um doctor works with sanyo drives only and only for 10 tests and after that is limited to test 5 mins of the CD.
2: The guy at Lite-On that I asked did not know any such programs for Lite-On.

1. you can try to crack it

2. such a thing does exist

Originally posted by Airhead
Woooh, nice!
Is the black one Lite-On’s test?
What’s it called?
And how do I get it? :slight_smile:

Right, the black one is via liteon’s.

No cracking around here plz.
OK idiot@ace, who do I ask to get that program? :smiley:
A PM coming your way… :slight_smile:

urrr i am having some trouble emailing wses.zip out…

perhaps virtua trancer can help out here

note the program works under DOS only

nevagate with arrow keys.

The price is right for the program: FREE!

I have also found that when I test the disc 2 or 3 times, I’ll get slightly different results each time. Even if I don’t eject it between testing sessions. The results are usually all green, but occasionaly it’ll report a bad spot, that I don’t think is really there.

The program is a general indicator of how the disc is. Don’t “live and breath” by it.

Remember: it was free.

weird in cdspeed my liteon will give all green except the last block which will be red then my tdk(sanyo) will give me all yellow

sorry i got told to remove the link

Myself and at least one other reported in these forums that getting rid of all traces of nero from the install dir and registry and installing the latest build (no upgrade route) of nero you wish to use solved the last sector being red problem.

Wierd but true.

Has anyone tested that certain program that doesn’t exist :wink: with a LTR-32123S yet? I don’t want to b0rk anything…

Originally posted by godzilla525
Has anyone tested that certain program that doesn’t exist :wink: with a LTR-32123S yet? I don’t want to b0rk anything…

sure it works…

it will run with even the 12X generation of Liteon drives…

Wow… :stuck_out_tongue: