CDSpeed/DiscSpeed - problem under Vista

vbimport

Hi, I’ve tried all manner of searches on the CD-Freaks forums without any luck solving this - I THINK it’s probably something arcane in Vista, but possibly a hardware issue…

I’m trying to run DiscSpeed 4.11.4.0 or CDSpeed 4.7.7.5 under Vista Home Premium on an Acer Aspire AM1641 media machine with a SATA HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH15F which does just about anything (see graphic). All Vista updates installed.

Under Disc Quality, when I select Quick scan then click on Advanced to get to the Speed/Accuracy slider, the 6 ‘Enable’ boxes are unchecked, the slider is greyed out, and there is no content in the ‘Scanning interval’ drop-down. In other words, it looks just like that Advanced box looks on my main PC under XP Pro when there is no disc in the drive (a Sony DRU810A). Yes there is a recognized DVD-R disc in the Acer drive (burned with the latest DVDFab).

I’ve tried all posssible settings under ‘Compatibility’, including switching off Aero etc. for the software executable, with no change. And I’ve gone into Security and taken ownership of the DiscSpeed EXE - still no luck. ANY help or suggestions would be vey much appreciated and acknowledged, with heartfelt blessings upon your head!

TIA,

HDE

The LG drive cannot quality scan, and if it does, the premise of almost all other LG DVD burners’ inabilities to scan are why the options are greyed out.

Aha! So it IS a hardware problem - thanks! I didn’t even know it was an LG. By any chance do you have a URL to something approaching a data sheet for that drive Albert? I can’t find any reference to the manufacturer of the drive on the 'net, nor to the drive on the LG web site.

TIA

HDE

[quote=hde;2148658]Aha! So it IS a hardware problem - thanks! I didn’t even know it was an LG. By any chance do you have a URL to something approaching a data sheet for that drive Albert? I can’t find any reference to the manufacturer of the drive on the 'net, nor to the drive on the LG web site.

TIA

HDE[/quote]

Yo-

Google is your friend = GH15F

Many thanks, BM - yes, it pulls up some specs on the Gateway site, but I guess I don’t know what I’m looking for (to confirm or otherwise that Albert’s comment that it won’t quality scan is inherently indeed a hardware issue). I’m really just trying to find a way to get a feel for how the two drives, both using the same media (TYG03) compare for writing DVDs that will have a long and healthy life, (if either, and if neither probably buy a new burner). Any suggestions very gratefully received. I’m a relative novice in this area.

TIA,

HDE

The DRU-810A, once CROSSFLASHED [not as it is now], can easily complete quality scans that can be somewhat helpful. Note, though, that crossflashing this drive might be somewhat complicated; it can either be a BenQ DW1640 [just says Sony DRU-810A on the physical drive label on the drive itself] or a BenQ DW1650 [says Sony DRU-810A-R on the label]. Upon identifying whether it is a 810A-R or the older 810A, search for the procedures on crossflashing BenQ drives here on the CD Freaks site. :slight_smile:

Many thanks, Dogbert (er - Albert :-)) - I’ll check it out. As a matter of interest, a) how did you know the GH15F is made by LG?, and b) is the Sony in either life-form a ‘good’ drive for DVD burning? (I’m not after the BEST, just something that will burn media that will last me until I pass on, as they say - 20 years tops I guess). I AM one of the older folks in BigMike’s sig). :-). I see much mention of LiteOn drives…

All help and kindly humour very much appreciated…

TIA,

HDE

a) how did you know the GH15F is made by LG?
HL-DT-ST is [B]H[/B]itachi-[B]L[/B]G [B]D[/B]a[B]t[/B]a [B]St[/B]orage. It’s one of those random things I’ve picked up from hanging around here from threads such as this. :slight_smile:
and b) is the Sony in either life-form a ‘good’ drive for DVD burning? (I’m not after the BEST, just something that will burn media that will last me until I pass on, as they say - 20 years tops I guess).
The BenQ DW1640 was/is a much revered drive, and is still producing some good/excellent burns to this very day for some members that beat the quality of other newer drives with the same media. The BenQ DW1650 is just shy of the total quality of the 1640 in some people’s eyes, but is still a very worthy drive. And some of the best burns have come from rebadged drives such as the Sony DRU-810A. :iagree:

Many, many thanks for the wonderful help and insights - I’m truly impressed. This IS an amazing forum, with extraordinarily helpful folks!

Thanks again,

HDE