CDSpeed and Verbatim 24x

vbimport

After reading several of the local threads on CDSpeed and scandisc, I decided to run some tests on my media. A spindle of Verbatim 24x Super-Azo DataLife Plus has failed virtually every scandisc surface test, whether burning at 8x, 12x, 16x, 20x, or 24x, or 32x. Anywhere from 20% to 75% of the area showing as "damaged". Comparison burns of some TY 32x rated were virtually flawless on the same test. None of these discs were unreadable, but it sure gives me pause to consider. the Verbatim spindle is in the trash. But I also see that even burning the TY at the max speed that SmartBurn allows will result in significant amounts of the yellow on scandisc. It seems that smartBurn is allowing media to burn faster than the scandisc tests would indicate is appropriate. Based on what I'm seeing here, I'll be burning below the disc's rated speed from now on. I'll burn 32x TY's at 24x, etc. Anybody else seeing similar results? what are the so-called 40x CDR's doing in similar tests?

havent dealt with a lot of verbatim, but i am a taiyo user…
and i must say, you’re burner must be pretty fubar cuz i’ve never had any problems like that, and i dont think many other people do either

It’s important to note that there are no “errors” reported onmost of the test burns, just the CDSpeed designation as “damaged”. They are all readable. the files check OK.

Yes, damaged sectors DO have “errors”, of the “C2”-type.
CDs have three error levels:

C1, the type of error that every CD has to some extent, is correctable without slowdowns.

C2, a more serious correctable errors, they show as damaged on scandisc, can compromise reliability of the disc and cause slowdowns.

C3, the uncorrectable error type, this makes the data unreadable.

It’s interestingthat the same discs test about 10 times better, (fewer errors) on my LTD-163D drive, almost no errors. It seems the 40125s is a better writer than it is a reader.

hey dude, i have burnt verbatim 16x and 24x rated cdrs at 4x 8x 12x 16x and 20x and havent even got one c2 error on any of em and i tested with the drive itself and different ones as well. so dont go bad mouthing verbatim maybe your burner is a peice of shit.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
After reading several of the local threads on CDSpeed and scandisc, I decided to run some tests on my media. A spindle of Verbatim 24x Super-Azo DataLife Plus has failed virtually every scandisc surface test, whether burning at 8x, 12x, 16x, 20x, or 24x, or 32x. Anywhere from 20% to 75% of the area showing as “damaged”. Comparison burns of some TY 32x rated were virtually flawless on the same test. None of these discs were unreadable, but it sure gives me pause to consider. the Verbatim spindle is in the trash. But I also see that even burning the TY at the max speed that SmartBurn allows will result in significant amounts of the yellow on scandisc. It seems that smartBurn is allowing media to burn faster than the scandisc tests would indicate is appropriate. Based on what I’m seeing here, I’ll be burning below the disc’s rated speed from now on. I’ll burn 32x TY’s at 24x, etc. Anybody else seeing similar results? what are the so-called 40x CDR’s doing in similar tests?

Where can I download CDSPEED and Scandisk??

www.cdspeed200.com

Originally posted by OC-Freak
www.cdspeed200.com

You forgot one zero (0) :slight_smile: Ive visited the site, thanks :slight_smile:

I decided to try some of the new Verbatim 32x, Super-Azo,(Mitsubishi, made in taiwan). Burned at 32x, they produced nearly error-free discs, comparable to the TY’s.
Also tried a few Memorex 40x rated, pheeewwww do they suck, even at 32x they were producing errors all the way through the burn.

stick a fork in your burner dude, its done

TY and verbatim “nearly” error free?
crappy memorex burns under rated speed on a liteon?
those are top quality media man, nobody else with liteon has your probs

Yeah, right. the burner is junk because it burns great on some media and not onothers. Makes a lot of sense. Errors on one type of Verbatim, not onanother, GOT to be the burner, DUH!

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Yeah, right. the burner is junk because it burns great on some media and not onothers. Makes a lot of sense. Errors on one type of Verbatim, not onanother, GOT to be the burner, DUH!

i heard that burner is pretty good from people around the forum, something may be wrong, you should get it checked out. i have never gotten errors on my burns regardless of the speed and cdr used.

My LiteOn 40x@48x doesn’t like Super-Azos at the beginning of the disc:

Just wanted to share my experiences with:

CD-RW Drive = Lite-On 32123S (manf. March 2002)

Meda = Verbatim CD-R 80 DataLifePlus 16x and 24x (Mexico)

I too have experienced the exact same problem with Verbatims as rdgrimes in his very first post above.

Both discs (16x and 24x) being written to at speeds between 8x to 20x had lots of “damaged” (yellow in Nero Speed Scandisk) blocks, and was unreadable in an older CD-ROM, and gave my car disc changer problems reading sometimes… although the 24x “seemed” to be a little better than the 16x.

It appears the Verbatim (at least in my case and a few others, and OCFreak even suggested it to me) cannot be written to well in high speed. In my older drive, an HP7100, when writing in 2x, Verbatim 16x would be the best disc around… hands down (without consideration to premium priced discs such as Kodak Golds and Mitsui Golds). No errors, and readable everywhere. But such is not the case when writing at 8x and higher with my 32123S.

Another special note is that writing at lower speeds seemed to reduce the amount of errors, but still experienced the same type of reading problems in my old CD-ROM and car disc changer.

The discs that work really well in my Lite-On 32123S are:

TY (Fuji 80min 700meg 32x)
and
Prodisc (silver top/bottom unbranded // the smart buy 16x does not work very well, even though they are also made by Prodisc)

In my older drive, an HP7100, when writing in 2x, Verbatim 16x would be the best disc around…

I have some TDK (written: 2x, HP7100, Q1/98) with very low error rates.

I’ve done some scans there. I’m going to translate it to english soon.
http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~noe/LiteOn/C1-scans/index.html

The difference between the Verbatim 24x , (Mexico), and the 32x, (Taiwan), is like night and day. But the 40x Memorex, (CMC) are better left alone, they can’t even produce a reliable burn at 24x. I’ll bet they are just re-packaged 24x or 32x discs.

Originally posted by royboy123
[B]Just wanted to share my experiences with:

CD-RW Drive = Lite-On 32123S (manf. March 2002)

Meda = Verbatim CD-R 80 DataLifePlus 16x and 24x (Mexico)

I too have experienced the exact same problem with Verbatims as rdgrimes in his very first post above.

Both discs (16x and 24x) being written to at speeds between 8x to 20x had lots of “damaged” (yellow in Nero Speed Scandisk) blocks, and was unreadable in an older CD-ROM, and gave my car disc changer problems reading sometimes… although the 24x “seemed” to be a little better than the 16x.

It appears the Verbatim (at least in my case and a few others, and OCFreak even suggested it to me) cannot be written to well in high speed. In my older drive, an HP7100, when writing in 2x, Verbatim 16x would be the best disc around… hands down (without consideration to premium priced discs such as Kodak Golds and Mitsui Golds). No errors, and readable everywhere. But such is not the case when writing at 8x and higher with my 32123S.

Another special note is that writing at lower speeds seemed to reduce the amount of errors, but still experienced the same type of reading problems in my old CD-ROM and car disc changer.

The discs that work really well in my Lite-On 32123S are:

TY (Fuji 80min 700meg 32x)
and
Prodisc (silver top/bottom unbranded // the smart buy 16x does not work very well, even though they are also made by Prodisc) [/B]

That’s strange, I have burnt many Verbatim 80min rated for 16x @ 32x without any errors at all. And I have a 32123S too.

Originally posted by Calle
[B]

That’s strange, I have burnt many Verbatim 80min rated for 16x @ 32x without any errors at all. And I have a 32123S too. [/B]

i have to agree, ive burnt verbatim with 3 different writers, some at max speed and some at slow speeds but they were perfect copies every single time. these verbatims were made in taiwan though.

Originally posted by cd pirate
[B]

i have to agree, ive burnt verbatim with 3 different writers, some at max speed and some at slow speeds but they were perfect copies every single time. these verbatims were made in taiwan though. [/B]

Same writer? Lite-On 32123S?