CDSpeed & 7170S/7200S

vbimport

First how do I make the 7170S/7200S work with CDSpeed, as in PIE/PIF scanning? Heck both these drives don’t even show up in CDSpeed! I think there used to be a registry hack, but I can’t remember what it was/where to find it!

2nd, how reliable are these drives for 1ECC DVD scanning, I was told to do that along with CD C1/C2 scanning on these two, along with my Benq 1640 & 1655; [& I know about TRT’ing on these drives].

3rd, do I still have to do the scans at, the slow slow rate of, 5x, just like the old 35xx series NEC drives? [Oh how I long for a reliable 8x 1ECC drive! No thanks, no Lite-ON, they just drop too many samples, heck even the Benq’s scans an almost 1.00-1.01!]

Pioneer drives uses the same chipset, are they any good for scanning? I got a 216D.

P.S. a bit off topic, but anyone remember how to trigger 1ECC scanning on the Benq’s; no matter what I try, always does 8ECC!

Thanks for your help.

No registery hack is required for PI/PIF scanning on Optiarc drives. It sounds like you have a SATA driver or controller issue if the drive isn’t even seen in CD Speed. You may have to have the SATA controller set to “emulate IDE mode” in your system BIOS and make sure RAID isn’t enabled.

The 5170…7173 series is not reliable for DVD scanning in my opinion.

The 5200…7203 series may be better, although I have only made a few test with my 7203A.

Dropping random samples while scanning is a very minor drawback compared to other problems encountered with some drives, e.g. most NEC/Optiarc drives.

If you want to use your drive for making scans for your own use, then test different scanning speeds and select whatever works for you - I have generally used 12x.

If OTOH you want to compare scans with those posted by other users on this forum, chose whichever scanning speed is used the most (either 5x or 8x).

Pioneer drives are so unreliable for scanning, that Pioneer asked Erik Deppe to remove scanning support from CDSpeed and he complied!

For BenQ drives you need to scan at 4x (CAV) and IIRC you can trigger the 1 ECC scanning by clicking on the Advanced button on the Disc Quality tab.

Dee-27, thanks; the pio dvr-216d, 7170s & 7200s are all attached to an add-in pic card, with a SiL3114 controller. I flashed the card with the SATA BIOS, it came with RAID BIOS.

All the drives show up & can be used with ImageBurn; just that the 2 Optiarc’s don’t show up in cdspeed, while the PIO & 2 virtual drives do showup!

DrageMester, thanks; guess that means 7170s & 7200s are ok for dvd scanning.

[quote=L’Arc-en-Ciel;2100856]DrageMester, thanks; guess that means 7170s & 7200s are ok for dvd scanning.[/quote] Uhm, that’s not what I said. :disagree:

The 7200 maybe OK.

The 7170 not OK in my experience and opinion.

Well, still no go, CD-DVD Speed 4.7.7.16 only shows the Pioneer DVR-216D, the 2 other Optiarc doesn’t get listed.

ImgBurn 2.4.2 lista all 3 drives & in the proper order they’re connected to the port numbers on the controller card.

The PCI controller is based on SIL 3114 chip; flashed from RAID to SATA. All 4 ports are populated as following:

1-Hard drive
2-Optiarc AD-7170S
3-Optiarc AD-7200S
4-Pioneer DVR-216D

Even [Vista x64] explorer shows all 4 drives & so does Disk Managemnt; H=2, I=3 & J=4, in that exact order.

If you really want to be able to compare your scans then I advisegetting a lite-on or benQ because on top of not being reliable from one mid to another they’re not even reliable for checking degradation on the same disk over even a little bit of time like the same day. I have personally tried and you cabn do a scan with the 7170 or 7200 and scan the same disk again and the results will be different it’s a waste of time

L’Arc-en-Ciel,
Try putting [B][U]CD/DVDSpeed[/U][/B] in a [B][U]folder[/U][/B] with the [B][U]wnapsi32.dll[/U][/B].

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;2107228]If you really want to be able to compare your scans then I advisegetting a lite-on or benQ because on top of not being reliable from one mid to another they’re not even reliable for checking degradation on the same disk over even a little bit of time like the same day. I have personally tried and you cabn do a scan with the 7170 or 7200 and scan the same disk again and the results will be different it’s a waste of time[/QUOTE]

Thanks, the 7170 I got, is for CD/DVD TRT only, the 7200 is going to be the prmary burner along with the Pio DVR-216D as a backup/DVD-DL/DVD+/-RW/-RAM disc.

I was told that the 7170 is a good CD scanner, any truth to that or should I stick to the 1640/1655 for CD scanning too?

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2107477]L’Arc-en-Ciel,
Try putting [B][U]CD/DVDSpeed[/U][/B] in a [B][U]folder[/U][/B] with the [B][U]wnapsi32.dll[/U][/B].[/QUOTE]

In the words of Homer Simpson “DOH”; I had this problem once before & this is the exact way I solved it; can’t believe I didn’t remember the solution, maybe because its been several years!

FrogASPI didn’t work but NEROAspi did, however the 7170 still not quite trouble free, started erroring out on ‘tray eject’ command from Vista Explorer, ImgBurn & CDSpeed, now can’t sense disc insert or read disc’s either. A reboot might solve that problem.

The 7170 also shows up with a weird controller #, 2:0, while the DVR-216D is 6:0 & the 7200S is 6:1, even though all 3 drives are attached to a PCI SATA card.

Anyway of making CD Speed work without the winaspi driver in the exe directory? I have another machine with XP Pro SP3 & I can run CD Speed on it without any winaspi in the exe directory.

Thank you both.

[quote=L’Arc-en-Ciel;2108959]I was told that the 7170 is a good CD scanner, any truth to that or should I stick to the 1640/1655 for CD scanning too?[/quote] The NEC/Optiarc drives are acceptable CD scanners when compared to most other drives, but they are no match for an Advanced Disc Quality Scan on a BenQ DW1620/1640/1650/1655 (or to true Plextor drives), so stick with using your BenQ DW1640/1655 for CD scanning.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2108998]The NEC/Optiarc drives are acceptable CD scanners when compared to most other drives, but they are no match for an Advanced Disc Quality Scan on a BenQ DW1620/1640/1650/1655 (or to true Plextor drives), so stick with using your BenQ DW1640/1655 for CD scanning.[/QUOTE]

In other words there was no point whatsoever buying the 7170; could just as well use 7200S which also is a better burner & has a less quirky SATA chipset, the Pio DVR-216D or even the old ND-2500 flashed to ND-3500 for TRT! Dang, what a waste.

–Addition Below–

The answer that I originally asked in my earlier thread, which I never got a answer for, since Benq 1640/1655 were such good burners, for their time [still is b.t.w.], and quite advanced scanners [both CD/DVD] what would be an exact/very similar in feature replacement for it? A replacement that is available & I can actually buy, which can use the ADVANCED features of CD DVD Speed that the latter Benq’s were so famous for [please don’t mention Lite-on!].

[quote=L’Arc-en-Ciel;2109254]… what would be an exact/very similar in feature replacement for it? A replacement that is available & I can actually buy, which can use the ADVANCED features of CD DVD Speed that the latter Benq’s were so famous for [please don’t mention Lite-on!].[/quote] There’s no other consumer drive with a similar feature set to the BenQ DW1620…1655 drives.

Real Plexor drives also had (slightly different) scanning features for CD media (using PlexTools or PxScan/PxView), but these drives are no longer made.