Cds not working well

Hey guys, I’m having an abnormal problem with my DVDRW device, that’s when I insert a and DVD format disc into it it works soo fine, but when i insert a cd format, weather it’s a cd-rom or cd-r or cd-rx, while reading or writing to it too, the computer get’s frozen or stuck, but not all of the time (most of the time) and I’d really appreciate some help. thx

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

DVD burners have two separate lasers for CD and DVD. It’s possible that the CD laser is damaged. To exclude a hardware problem you can do a simple test: do a boot from a CD. If the system is able to do a boot from a CD disc, then the drive is not damaged, and there is a problem somewhere in the configuration.

As boot cd you can use the windows installation disc or, better, a linux live distro: these distro don’t install anything on your computer, so are safe to use.

Hey thanks for your reply, I did what you told me to do and the booting did well, I could’ve reinstalled my window… any way I tried a cd again while using my Win XP normally but the comp got stuck again and i had to restart it again to work normally, and Ideas on what to do in the configurations???
really appreciate it.

Check that cables are connected correctly.

Even if it’s not a “must”, also a 80 wire IDE cable can be a good thing. Be also sure that PSU is sufficient (if you have many drives and a 200 W PSU, for example, this can cause problems).

My procesor is AMD 3500+ and I have SATA cables not IDE, and I use a 220V-240V ~ 3A PSU with 3 drives, one external H.D.D which uses external electricity, in addition for the monitor to use external electtricity, 1 internal H.D.D. and the DVD-RW Device (which is AOpen btw).

Hi,

is your DVDRW drive a SATA one? Please specify further.

and I use a 220V-240V ~ 3A PSU
This does only mean, you are living in Europe :wink: You described the input. More interesting is the output, especially the amperage at the different voltages.

Michael

yes My DVDRW drive is a SATA one and I dun live in europe :disagree: but how can I tell about the input :confused: , I need a solution or I’m gonna buy a new one… :frowning:

yes My DVDRW drive is a SATA one and I dun live in europe :disagree: but how can I tell about the input :confused: , I need a solution or I’m gonna buy a new one… :frowning:

Hi,

Please tell us, what drive this exactly is. If you don’t know, then use Nero Info Tool for that.

and I dun live in europe :disagree: but how can I tell about the input
You told about the input, which is totally useless here. You’ll have to open the case and take a look at the sticker of your PSU.
And as you have opened the case, please verify if the cables are connected correctly. Especially SATA cables often get loose.

Michael

Hey guy I deiscovered a new thing that may be the main reason for my problem, I went to the nero and checked the info of my Drive and then a pop up from my virus scanner showed up telling me that I have the file winik.sys infected with a winkroot trojan :S:S, shall i just delete it and restart my computer or do something else???

Hi guys, c’mon I’ve reached the final step of my problem, I just wanna know what to do, delete it and restart or do another thing…, and in case the answer is delete it, I wanna know how cuz i tried to clean, quarantine and delete it but everytime it tells me “file bieng used”“cannot be deleted”, thx for all replies to everyone. :bow: