CDRW install problems

I installed my Lite-On 52246s with no problems. I put it in an older PC that has the Intel 440TX chipset, which I am learning has issues with the IDE subsystem. Does anyone have any insight here? The current issue is the CDRW drive is on the Sec. IDE slave and does not show in Win Explorer or My Computer. If I type e: (the drive letter) in either location bar, it browses the disc no problem, the drive even magically appears in Win Explorer. Otherwise it seems to be working OK, besides being on a slow PC. I’ve played with Intel updates, but no dice as of yet. I’m just about stumped, any new ideas would be appreciated and this PC is soon to be old news, but for now I’d like to get it working like I’d like it too.

Did you check your BIOS and see whether your mobo detects the CDRW ?

Maybe it’s your mobo’s faulty or CDRW’s faulty. Try to install it on a different computer and see.

Sec. slave… what’s on your Sec. Master? Set the jump on your CDRW as CS and hook it up to the end of the IDE2 cable. Take your other component on the IDE2 and set it as CS and hook it up to the middle.

The BIOS does see the drive and currently reports IDE 00 as my HD, IDE01 as blank (it is) and IDE02 and 03 as CDROM (CDROM and CDRW) , so the bios is recognizing the drive. I really think I am seeing some issue with the chipset, but that’s my best theory at this point. I haven’t stuck in another PC, but I would be 99% sure it would be ok, since I suspect this chipset. The drive also appears like it should in the device manager.

I have tried hooking the CDRW in multiple IDE configs and being a slave on prim. or sec. seems to give the same results. The drive is there and will work, but does not show in “My computer” or Windows Explorer. I can make it the sec. master and it shows, but then my cdrom is a no show, but again it does work if you have a disc in and access it via it’s drive letter in anyway, ie’ e: and so on.

I also have tweakui installed and made sure it has the checkbox’s to show drive letters right and that seems to be ok.

Maybe updating your mainboards BIOS will help you solve this problem… if you know how to do it, try!

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
Maybe updating your mainboards BIOS will help you solve this problem… if you know how to do it, try!

I will check the version and see if there is an update. I think I’ve flashed it within the last year or so, but I could be wrong.

All is good now. I got an update from the PC manufacturer for the chipset and IDE busmastering. It was late, but I think that is the what broke the ice on this one. Thanks for the tips and ideas.

Sorry to dig this old post up from the archives (First post, hello everyone!) but in searching for my issue to see if it’s been ‘fixed’ already before I posted, I came upon this topic which matches my dilemma to a tee!

I just recently updated my BIOS to fix a Dell Dimension 8100 issue with the Audigy 2 zs soundcard so I’m hesitent to think that I’d be doing it again so soon.

I’ve tried removing the drives from device manager, and having windows redetect them, I’ve tried manually assigning a drive letter in drive settings (funny thing, the invisible drive DOES have a letter (E:) ) and the added drive works perfectly well, it just can’t be seen/clicked on from explorer.

After a few hours tinkering with any possible combination of drive orders, master/slave combos, I finally just wound up trying to put my player only drive as drive 1 on the primary IDE channel with my HD. It still wound up as the only displayed CD, and the E: drive (on the secondary IDE channel) was still invisible.

With all of this trouble I’m having, (especially since I couldn’t put my new drive in as drive 0/master with the old drive on the same ide chain) would I be better off just buying a 4 channel IDE controller and just give everything it’s own cable? I worry about it getting too messy in there…

I’ll head over to the Dell site, and see if there’s anything buzzing about IDE controller updates, and perhaps I’ll just live with my invisible drive.

Thanks for any suggestions!

-Layne

In addition to the fix above, I also ran into another problem on another of my PC’s. I had the MS powertools Tweak app installed which has a function to not show certain drives. I almost lost my mind on that one. Someone suggested I check it out and sure enough for whatever reason any drive aside from A thru D were set to not show. I unchecked or checked (can’t remember) a few boxes and voila… the drive appeared.

The chipset and BIOS are different animals btw.

Very interesting… There’s no telling if that software is installed, but I’ll check it out.

Thanks for the tip!