CDRW / DVDRW Drive for Audio?

vbimport

Ok, I have spent many hours (most on the clonecd board) reading the many comments and thank all of you for some great posts. :bow:

My question is a simple one, Is there better drives for ripping and recording music just like there are for making backups of computer games. My son is getting into this more and more and am about to update his system.

1.) Recomended CDRW or DVDRW drive for music
2.) Recomended software to RIP and Record (Im an avid clone user now!)

thanks again!

Originally posted by tmac
Is there better drives for ripping and recording music just like there are for making backups of computer games.

For protected Audio CDs, Plextor are the reference.

For ripping and burning normal audio CDs, the difference is in the optics and chipset.
Some drives are very good ripping scratched CDs but others not much. Even 2 equal drives may produce different results because of the differences in manufacturing.

Plextors are said to be the best made, but LiteOn, LG or Teac seem to have very good designs.
Plextor also have Plextools, very fast and secure ripper that only works with Plextors.

The Yamaha CRW-F1 seems to be the absolute champion when it comes to ripping protected audio cds. If I am not mistaken it reads everything available, it even performs better than Plextor (for this subject).