CDR's - silver or gold. which is best?

Hi

5 minute old Newbie here. I’ve looked around the site over last few days and look pretty useful.

I got one question to start with. I’m pretty sure it must have been asked before but i couldn’t find it.

I know that by & large you get what you pay for but all things being equal what are best CDR’s to use. Silver or Gold?

You’d think Gold would beat silver but I’m not so sure.

Any views/assistance?

Thanks

do u mean gold/silver tops or bottoms? it’s been shown that color hardly affects cdr quality, so this poll is pretty much useless if u’re trying to find out what type of cdrs to buy. go take a look at the media forum and use the search function if u want to find more info.

in my opinion (and a large majority of the rest of the forum), the best cdrs are made by Taiyo Yuden, which have silver tops and blue dye.

Pure gold is better than pure silver , simple because gold is more acid resistant. And your hands are full of strange acids your cd-r’s dislike. I don’t mean these Goldish paint cd-r manufacturers put on , but a real golden layer.

For cd manufacturing they usually do not use pure silver or gold of course , simply because it would be extremely expensive. I think you’re safe when you have a acid resistant and UV (UltraViolet radiation) resistant cd layer.

In matters of UV the Hi-Space line has a very nice black cd :

They also have an excellent audio cd :

Both can be purchased using the Cd Freaks Webshop. Dunno if its possible to ship outsite The Netherlands yet.

Gold is the best becuse it has a higher reflection ratio compared to silver. Gold cd’s work almost in ever cd-(rom) player.

Mr belvedere, most manufacturers of the more expensive golden cdr’s use real gold for reflection. Don’t expect it to be much; it’s only one drop of gold

greetz

Originally posted by theunbeatable
[B]Gold is the best becuse it has a higher reflection ratio compared to silver. Gold cd’s work almost in ever cd-(rom) player.

Mr belvedere, most manufacturers of the more expensive golden cdr’s use real gold for reflection. Don’t expect it to be much; it’s only one drop of gold

greetz [/B]

I was referring to the purity. It’s industrial/contaminated gold usually to my best knowledge. You’re absolutely right about being it just 1 drop of course. :bigsmile:

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]Pure gold is better than pure silver , simple because gold is more acid resistant. And your hands are full of strange acids your cd-r’s dislike. I don’t mean these Goldish paint cd-r manufacturers put on , but a real golden layer.

For cd manufacturing they usually do not use pure silver or gold of course , simply because it would be extremely expensive. I think you’re safe when you have a acid resistant and UV (UltraViolet radiation) resistant cd layer.

In matters of UV the Hi-Space line has a very nice black cd :

They also have an excellent audio cd :

Both can be purchased using the Cd Freaks Webshop. Dunno if its possible to ship outsite The Netherlands yet. [/B]

wow, I didn’t even know cdfreaks had a web shop you should promote it more and the person that made that webpage should take a look at it in mozilla … urk!