CDRom & burner on separate cables or together?

vbimport

Just out of curiosity. What is the best way to set up a system with two HD’s a CDRom and a CDRW?

The boot hard drive is ATA 100 at 7200 rpm, the other is ATA 66 at 5400 rpm, both CD’s show in the bios as ATA 33.

I have heard that I should have the CDRom & burner on separate cables, but won’t that slow down the hard drives?

Any input on this would be appreciated

IDE1: ATA133 HD (Master)
IDE1: ATA66 HD (Slave)

IDE2: CDRW (Master)
IDE2: CDROM (Slave)

You won’t get bottleneck w/ current motherboards. Which mobo are you using?

AOpen AX34 Pro II with a celeron 850 cpu and 640 megs ram

Ive have the the same config, meaning 2 HDs and a DVDROM+ CDRW, wondering why it is better to put ure CD-RW on the primary…

ide1: hdd 7200rpm
ide1: cdrom

ide2: cdrw
ide2: hdd 5400rpm

i tried having the cdrom and cdrw on the same ide, it works really slow if u are trying to burn ‘on the fly’. thats why i dont put it together.

But now your Harddrives are working at ATA 33. Its best to put the cd drives on the same channel and the HD’s on the same channel. Then dont use on the fly copy. Make a image first then burn the image.

Lots of misinformation gets repeated on this question. The only right answer is that you have to look at what you intend to do with the drives and try it both ways to see what works best on your MB. There is no problem with mixing ATA33 and ATA133/100 on the same channel, and no reason why you can’t do on-the-fly CD copies with both drives on one channel. Except some older MB and drivers have trouble, so you gotta try it out.
The main problem with mixing CD and HD on the same channel is that when you access the CD there is a pause on the channel while the drive spins up and identifies the CD, so HD performance will be interrupted. But if you wish to access each CD drive at the same time from different processes (ie: burning while reading another disc from another program), they will likely need to be on separate channels.
the most common config is the put the HD’s on one channel and CD’s on another, and this works very well for most things.
The best setup for all-around performance is to put HD’s on a PCI controller and leave the MB IDE for optical drives only.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
The best setup for all-around performance is to put HD’s on a PCI controller and leave the MB IDE for optical drives only.

Did that w/ both of my systems a year back. Got promise ATA133 and ATA100 on the systems, 2 HDs, CDRW and DVD each, running as Master on its own channel. Worked well, but the cables are killing me, and controller card check slows down bootup time. Switched back to configuration I mentioned and took out the controllers, and I’m getting the same speed. Again, unless you’re running an ancient system w/ ATA33 or 66, putting optical drives on the same channel will not be a problem. But like RDG said, try out different configurations and do benchmarks w/ Sandra.

You didnt read that putting the ata 33 optical drive on the same
channel as the Hard Drive will slow your Hard drive down too ATA 33. So you should never put them on the same channel unless you like slower HD performance or you have a ATA 33 Hard drive anyway.

So you should never put them on the same channel unless you like slower HD performance or you have a ATA 33 Hard drive anyway.

Like I said, lots of misinformation. This is not true any more. Any current MB will happily run different ATA status drives on the same channel.

It is true. You cant have different ATA status drives on the same channel.

Originally posted by RaWShadow
But now your Harddrives are working at ATA 33. Its best to put the cd drives on the same channel and the HD’s on the same channel. Then dont use on the fly copy. Make a image first then burn the image.

No on the fly copy? What mobo you’re running that makes you so sure HD and CD can’t be on the same channel? Intel mobo running Pentium 100? 'Cause both my KT266 and KT266A mobos run HD and DVD at optimal speed on the same channel when tested. XP1700+ and XP1800+ CPUs btw.

Could you post a screenshot of your primary or secondary IDE/ATA controllers in device manager with the CD and HD on it. Like this

Could you post a screenshot of your primary or secondary IDE/ATA controllers

I have no desire to get into a pissig contest over this. All of the recent MB’s, including VIA, Intel, and NVIDIA chipsets, can run different UDMA status drives on the same channel. I’ve done it and so have many of the other folks here. There are no issues or problems associated with doing so. Drive speeds are not affected.

On one pc I have its udma-5 and udma-2.
On another is udma-2 on both channels for the cd-drives.

You can mix dma devices on the channels. but if you put an older drive on the device it will run Pio mode…

i got a new VIA mobo with a KT266A. I got a ATA 100 HD and a ATA 133 HD on the same channel. The mobo supports ATA 133. So why are both my drives only in mode 5 Instead of one drive Mode 5 and the other mode 6 ?

In device manager

I get Primary running at
IDE 0 - Ultra DMA 5
IDE 1 - Ultra DMA 4

with both hard drives running on the same cable.

Thanks for all your help guys, I reckon it sounds like I should leave it like that cause if I have 1 hd & 1 cd together it will slow the hard drive down to much.

I can still do on-the-fly burning with both cd’s on one cable so that’s no worries either.

Once again thanks for all your advice

Rawshadow: I guess because your OS doesn’t support Mode6 (yet). There’s a patch or service pack for Win2000 (I think for WinXP too)

Because Udma5 is ata 100 and udma-6 is ata 133.

Im using Windows XP SP1. I read on MS website that installing SP1 can make mode 6 not work. I followed the instructions that said how to make it work but it still not work.