CDRInfo Interview w/ BenQ VP

CDRInfo.com recently had an interview with Dr. William Wang, Vice President & General Manager of BenQ. In the interview, we learn some background information about BenQ, it’s current standings in the optical drive industry, the partnership with Phillips, and a little bit about the future (mainly Blue-Ray technology).

Here is the link to the interview: http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=11454

Optical Storage will continue to grow in both Consumer and IT sectors to fulfill the market and consumers’ expectation. Compared with small capacity flash memory and confined hard disk, optical disc has advantage on data capacity per unit dollar, further least expensive to share the information. This is the position that no any other storage devices/media can substitute for.

HDD is far more versatile than optical disc and that’s the main reason why HDD market is growing far faster than optical market. Flash memory is also rapidly spreading quite unlike optical media. He feels threatened because he knows DVD is outdated.

Blu-ray project is ongoing and will be released in 4Q/05 - 1Q/06. In the meanwhile, we also keep our eyes on HD DVD development as long as the consumers demand for this technology. We are confident in fulfilling the consumers’ need.

In other words, after Japanese and South Korean companies.

At present, US market is our single biggest market. We arrange more resources to develop European and Asian Pacific markets. Among all these, China and Taiwan are the two markets that we invest the most because they are our home markets.

He means BenQ can’t compete in Japan and in South Korea.

We heard consumers’ need, and that’s the way we manage ourselves. DVD+R/RW format has its advantages and is very versatile for both AV and Data applications. We have been promoting this excellent format as a default option. There’s no limitation on hardware design for –R/RW format support in fact, and we implemented the relevant support once we learned the expectations from consumers. We will keep exploring what the market demands for.

He does not say BenQ and Philips want DVD-R/RW look inferior. They want to forget when they first release a product at each major step.

i think BENQ can compete very well in Japan or south korea!!

cause the true ability of the drive is strong enough to overcome any challenge from other company!! eg: NEC or Pioneer

In other words, after Japanese and South Korean companies.

He means BenQ can’t compete in Japan and in South Korea.

I hope not all Koreans are racists like you. Dr. Wang was just speaking for the company he serves, like anyone would or should. Comments with sound facts to back up or suggestions to help for improvement are welcomed, but not racist attacks.

Kenshin’s interpretation of Mr Wang’s quotes is quite obscure to say the least.

Racist? How so?!

Perhaps you should understand Kenny’s position a little better. If you look at his past posts in other threads, he has made it clear that BenQ does not do well in the Japanese and South Korean markets because BenQ’s prices there are high and the prices of the local companies are low. Is that racist? No. That sounds a lot like economics (and maybe protectionist policies?) that favor local companies.

First of all, I apologize for posting my initial response out of an impulse. The last thing I want is to start a fight in this forum.

I fully understand and would most likely accept it if all Kenny said was the fact that “BenQ does not do well in the South Korean markets because BenQ’s prices there are high and the prices of the local companies are low.” However, instead of that, Kenny went on to make a mockery of Dr. Wang’s statements to CDRInfo, which irritated me into thinking that he had something against Dr. Wang’s company and/or Taiwan. We can all see the recent efforts by BenQ to improve the quality of their drive (as can be seen with the frequent firmware releases). If anything, I would thank BenQ. This is why I said I wish I could see more positive suggestions instead of attacks.

So a South Korean national consumer who was also part of an international website based on the Netherlands criticizing (in English) a misleading interview on a Greek website with a Taiwan-Chinese company’s Vice President is a racist because you are what?

BenQ drives are good, but not the over-all winner. I’ve seen better results and even the BenQ drives are not from BenQ’s own efforts. Philips is a Netherlands company, NOT South Korean, and why is that regarded as a racist interpretation unless my father’s Korean and my mother’s Dutch?

Nobody who’s been reading my posts for years can’t think of me as a racist, unless you meant it a racism AGAINST Asians-Orientals for which I have to admit it’s partly true (but is another subject entirely.)

This is another ridiculous occasion. When I post tests of Toshiba-Samsung drive, I’m accused to work for some mysterious South Korean interest. When I post tests of Hitachi-LG drives, somebody asks on a public forum whether I work for LG. When I point out misleading statements from a BenQ executive, I’m pictured as if I were racist enough to make a Taiwanese look bad because I’m a South Korean. That’s also what these forums are for and you make enough bad use of them.

I’ve been into DVD recording drives for years, at least from late 1990s. I myself have bought more than 100 DVD recording drives. Only 5 of them are of South Korean brands. Most of the rest are Japanese. I have had far more Lite-On DVD writers than LG and Samsung DVD writers combined. Does that make me a criminal who buy products of another country? From your level of point of view, that must be true as well where truth depends on personal interests, not concience or philosophy or anything like that.

Perhaps you should understand Kenny’s position a little better. If you look at his past posts in other threads, he has made it clear that BenQ does not do well in the Japanese and South Korean markets because BenQ’s prices there are high and the prices of the local companies are low. Is that racist? No. That sounds a lot like economics (and maybe protectionist policies?) that favor local companies.

No, it has more about local competitions. Taiwan market does not have many South Korean DVD writers, either. There are already Lite-On, BTC, Gigabyte, Asus, BenQ, and a lot more, so why who would spend millions of US dollars they earn by working hard to import from another East-Asian country? There are already LG and Samsung, each making 5 million optical drives in a month, in South Korea, so why would anyone spend so much money to import from Taiwan? Even the biggest Lite-On importer, Worldwise, can sell up to about 50,000 units in a month in South Korea and that’s a Taiwanese company marketing in South Korea. If Worldwise lowers SOHW-1653S price from 99,000 Won to 89,000 Won for example, LG can find that out instantly and lower GSA-4160B price from 98,000 Won to 79,000 Won anytime and it won’t hurt LG too much because LG makes most of the revenues overseas, but LG needs to keep the domestic marketshare very high, like near 80-90% for themselves. It’s not protectionist alone, but there are more important other factors.

@z24

i think BENQ can compete very well in Japan or south korea!!

cause the true ability of the drive is strong enough to overcome any challenge from other company!! eg: NEC or Pioneer

Do you seriously think Japanese consumers will choose BenQ where they can buy NEC ND-3500A, Plextor PX-712A, Pioneer DVR-A08, Hitachi GSA-4163B, Toshiba SD-R5372 for lower or for about the same?

As I implied before, BenQ does not have a wide network of distribution channels. Even AMD does not have very good lines without which not even GM, Ford, Exxon, Boeing, Microsoft, or any other big company can operate reasonably well. The richest and biggest single company in the world, Walmart, cannot compete well where Carre Four and other local chains do very well. It takes a lot more money and time to penetrate at all.

Don’t forget this is BenQ/Philips forum. Lite-On fanatics are allowed and tolerated at Lite-On forum, but there’s no place for BenQ-only fanatics. Enjoy another capture image from what you call racist.

I’ve been telling Samsung and TSST Korea to stop production and sales of TS-H552B. Some of the people working there must be whispering their collegues whether Kenny is working for a Taiwanese interest right now. It happened thousands of times before, and will never disappear because that’s human nature.

Compare LG GSA-4163B with your BenQ 822A and you will regret for having said so.

At present, US market is our single biggest market. We arrange more resources to develop European and Asian Pacific markets. Among all these, China and Taiwan are the two markets that we invest the most because they are our home markets.

He actually meant they want to ignore South Korean and Japanese markets. This is nothing obscure. I could criticize BenQ interview on CDRinfo.com further but just posted about a few things. All I said are very important from my point of view. far more important than just a few MCC004 and YUDEN000T02 scans at least.

It’s not my place nor my purpose to fight against a BenQ employee or a BenQ stockholder so it could be better to compare interviews with NEC, Philips, Taiyo Yuden, LG, Lite-On with that from CDRinfo.com/BenQ Taiwan.

If anything, I’ve been a Philips supporter (not about money) from at least 2001 so I’m more of a BenQ supporter than a critic for three years.

I believe the point raised by Kenshin is a very valid point. In order to penetrate any market a manufacturer has to have a good distributor and sales force backed up by a good marketing budget. Most manufacturers concentrate on the big markets such as the US and Europe where there is volume resulting in lower prices. In the relatively smaller markets where there are local manufacturers already present with their sales and marketing network, market penetration will be difficult - and that, presumably, is the reason why LG will win hands down in S.Korea rather than Benq. I know that many people will say that the LG or the Benq is better than the other - but, at the end of the day, price, sales presence and brand familiarity will win where, as I suspect is the case, the quality difference between the 2 drives, from most run of the mill consumers perspective, may be marginal. I think it takes a rather inventive (and maybe posting happy) imagination to characterise this point (if I understood it correctly) as racist (a description that, as of late, is being so overused that it is in danger of losing its meaning).

I would also add, that as someone who doesn’t live in the US or Europe, I get rather p***** off when I look at the prices of dvd drives offered in my home market. The cheapest I can buy a benq (online) is around $135 - compare that to what you have to pay in the US! Unfortunatley, I do not live in a country which has a homegrown DVD manufacturer - so it is market presence that influences price and since, in this market, LG’s and NEC’s are more popular (or should I say, there are more local distributors of these products here) the price of an LG or NEC is around $35 to 40 cheaper. The lack of local distributors (there is only one web site that sells Benq’s here and I have only found one retailer selling a benq) is that which has resulted in benq being unable to compete here (in Israel). Despite this, like Kenshin, I am going to bite the bullet and buy a benq.