CDR problems

Hi, I’m new here and also a noob at CDR stuff so please pardon if I make any mistakes. :slight_smile:

Well, I bought some SmartBuy CDRs. 700MB, Silver/Diamond.
Are these cdrs good? I burned some files and performed a surface scan using Nero CD/DVD Speed and a LOT of yellow areas showed up. Could it be the CDwriter that’s causing the problem, the CDRs or my computer?

I’m using liteon LTC-48161H combo drive, 48x24x48x16x. With the KH0P firmware.

Are C2 errors inevitable? I did not have yellow areas with my previous brand but sadly, the shop I patronise does not sell them anymore.

I tried using Disc Info in CD Speed but no info showed up.

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Hi and welcome.

By searching the CDR test forum, I found one reference to Smartbuy that indicates they may be Prodisc. Unfortunately, they will likely change suppliers regularly. Get yourself a download of SmartBurn from LiteOn and use that to identify media.
Also suggest reading the C1/C2 interpretation thread in the test forum.
Anyway, your media is pure crap and should be burned MUCH slower, no amount of C2 is acceptable.

Hi, thanks for the guidance. I am planning to go back to the shop and have them replaced with another brand.

I’ve downloaded SmartBurn and here’s the results for any who are interested.

Drive Type = COMBO
Disc Type = CDR
Material = Phthalocyanine
Lead In = 97:32:19
Lead Out = 79:59:72
Nominal Capacity = 702.83MB
Manufacturer Maybe = Prodisc Technology Inc.
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 48X (Write)

I’ve tried burning at 12x, 40x, 48x and I still get those C2 errors. :frowning:
40x is the speed printed on the surface.

As rdgrimes already mentioned your discs should exhibit no C2 errors. Although they seem to be certified for 40x burning, the result proves otherwise, and its not the first time :wink:

Try using media of other manufacturers (ie Taiyo Yuden or Mitsubishi) and redo a scan.

Hello again,
Apparently, things got worse for me.

I changed my SmartBuy CDRs for
SKY(Made in Taiwan, Distributed by Mitsubishi Chemical)
Disc Type = CDR
Material = Phthalocyanine
Lead In = 97:26:66
Lead Out = 79:59:73
Manufacturer Maybe = CMC Magnetics Corporation

and bought a spindle of
Mitsubishi Super-AZO HG(Made in Mexico, Distributed by Verbatim)
Disc Type = CDR
Material = Cyanine
Lead In = 97:34:23
Lead Out = 79:59:73
Manufacturer Maybe = Mitsubishi Chemicals Corporation

I did some burning on both brands and the results where the same. Lots of C2 errors. I am beginning to think it’s the new LiteOn writer I bought or my WinXP is messing it up. I’m gonna switch to my old Ricoh writer and do some more tests.

What do you guys think? Hardware or OS that’s causing them errors.

System Specs:
AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz, MSI K7T Turbo
2 x 256 MB SDRam
WesternD 40gb + Hitachi 120gb Both ATA100 7200RPM
300Watts PSU

You can’t believe what a bad weekend I had. I first started with the SmartBuy CDRs and the C2 problems appeared on Friday. Travelled 40 minutes on a Saturday to buy a new LiteOn Combo Writer and the problems persist. Changed the SmartBuy on Monday and bought another brand to find out the problems occurred again. :sad: