CDR Media Factory (Manufacturer) Question

Hi all,

I am sure this question has been asked before, but which Factory of CDR makers is the best? I have some stuff stored, that I would really like to keep for a long time. I am not one of those people who throw their CDs around. All of my important CDR’s are in cases or sleeves. But I have heard of certain manufacturers whose CDRs loose their chemical formula, etc., and the CDR becomes partially/fully unreadable. Now, the one factory that I know is suppose to be very good is Taiyo Yuden Company Limited. But after that, I am a little confused. A while back, I ran into a site dedicated to CD Media, which is http://www.cdmediaworld.com and they actually did a CDR quality test, which is here http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_quality.shtml

Now it looks as though this test is a little out of date, but Taiyo Yuden is considered good by them as well. But, the confusion for me begins at Ritek. Basically, on this site, ALL of Ritek’s CDRs were considered VERY BAD, and they all failed the aging test. However, reading on some other places/forums, I have seen people say that Ritek along with Taiyo Yuden are the BEST. This is very confusing to see one where it says WORST and the other say BEST. If anyone can clear this up, I would appreciate it.

Also, if anyone could look thru the following list, and rate what they think of these Manufacturers, it would help me greatly.

1. Taiyo Yuden (I have heard VERY GOOD)
  2. Kodak (I have heard VERY GOOD, but they have stopped producing)
  3. Ricoh (I have heard VERY GOOD)
  4. CMC Magnetics (I have heard BAD and OK)
  5. TDK (I have heard OK and GOOD)
  6. Mitsubishi (I have heard OK)
  7. Ritek (I have heard VERY BAD and VERY GOOD)???
  8. Fornet (I have heard VERY BAD)
  9. Mitsui Toatsu Chemicals (I have heard VERY GOOD)
  10. Princo (I have heard BAD)
  11. FUJI Photo Film (I have heard OK)
  12. Hitachi Maxell, Ltd. (I have heard OK)
  13. Prodisc (I have heard OK and GOOD)
  14. Multi Media Masters & Machinery SA (I have heard VERY BAD)
  15. Seantram Technology (I have heard VERY BAD)
  16. Gigastorage Corp. (I have heard VERY BAD)

I know this is a lot of companies, but I wanted to be very thorough. I have run accross EVERY single one of these companies at one point or another. And I want to know what everyone thinks of them, so that I can transfer some important information from one of these BAD manufacturers to a GOOD one. Thank You.

SuperG

taiyo yuden is easily the best. i only use fuji TY (esp. now that they’re so cheap in the US).

Hey SuperG,

I just vistited my rounds of CDRinfo and Hydrogen audio too…Man you get around…I see this post on each of them…GREAT way to get a variety of answers…:wink:

I use Mitsui for all my personal cdrs and Fuji’s too. Mostly the Fuji’s I use are for trading purposes…

I transferred all my old “other” brand data-music to Mitsui for archiving…I like them the ABSOLUTE BEST!!

I’m bummed about not being able to post on Hydrogenaudio cause I don’t have a “real” email addy, just hotmail…

RITEK –

The first, largest and most respected optical disc manufacturer in Taiwan, Ritek has been a driving force in upgrading the industry’s technology, quality and product performance. Leading the storage media world, Ritek offers the most consistent, high-volume manufacturing capability for DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, and other optical media. www.ritek.com.tw

RITEK’s CD-R is a high quality write-once recordable compact disc that permanently stores any digitized data.

It is excellent for system back-up, file and image storage, electronic publication, audio recording, samples, or pre-production testing for CD-ROM, Video CD, CD-Audio, etc.

RITEK received ISO-9001 certification offering even further guarantee that its products are reliable. RITEK CD-R can be written in multi-speed CD-R writers, which conform the Orange Book, Part II Standard.

RITEK Corporation was the first professional manufacturer of optical discs in Taiwan. Through twelve years of unstining effort, RITEK has led in both productivity and the development of technology.

RITEK aggressively undertakes overseas investment through factory construction abroad. Currently the total capacity of its factories in Asia, Australia, Europe, UK and USA has made RITEK the leading manufacturer of optical discs.

RITEK is certified under QS9000.

RITEK is certified under QS 9000.Each RITEK CD-R has to pass multiple quality control tests before it is released, making it the most reliable digital data storage media. Now you can create an unique CD of your favorite data. RITEK CD-R for Audio offers you 74,80,99 minutes of digital audio recording time, and provides you excellent quality of audio sound. RITEK provides diverse products to meet customer’s special needs. Though CD-R changes rapidly in writing speed, RITEK is capable of offering the highest quality and compatibility discs.

Weird. By the test above at CD Media World Ritek is bad. Fuck. These days I just don’t know who to trust anymore. I’ll start buying expensive TDK media from now on. :eek:

Originally posted by BaRtMaN42

These days I just don’t know who to trust anymore.

Trust your own tests and knowledges !

Oh, btw, I’ve never had any kinda problems with any Riteks,
even if I mostly use Taiyo Yuden and Mitsui Toatsu stuff.

:smiley:

Agreed, I’ve not had any considerable troubles with Ritek. Only problem has been some 99min discs that had some C2 errors, but those where quite old. Ritek is certanly one of the top manufacturers now, but a few years ago they were not so good.

Even CMC have improved themselfes, even though they still have a bit to the really good manufacturers…

I get really good results with AT&T Riteks. But with Maxell Riteks, everything goes fine until around 50mins. I get a few C2 errors there.

Thanks for your suggestions! I have some Traxdata Riteks and I am one happy freak! :bigsmile:

Originally posted by BaRtMaN42
Thanks for your suggestions! I have some Traxdata Riteks and I am one happy freak! :bigsmile:
Good boy ! :cool: Welcome to the party ! :bigsmile:

QS9000 says nothing about real product quality. It is just a quality management system. If I am right even cmc uses it.

May be, but I bought a spindle of Plextors (Taiyo Yuden) anyway. :smiley:

Great, after reading the review I’m confused too now. One of the brands they tested is FujiFilm/Ritek. I’m gonna overstock on some Fujis today and everyone claims they are TYs. How do I know I’m getting TYs instead of Riteks. I’ve heard TY spindles are marked made in Japan. Are Riteks made in Taiwan?

Also, the TDK they tested are made by TDK. But I thought TDK sold the contract to Ritek? I’ve been using TDKs for the past…4 years and they’ve been good to me. The last spindle I’m using are 48x TDK/Ritek. I’m gonna check the 16x I burned a couple years back and see who made them. The old ones have some really nice blue backs. The current ones are lime green/silver back.

that cdmediaworld page is old, so don’t worry about whether ur fujis are TY or not (they will be). and yeah, made in japan is what u’re looking for. :wink:

Originally posted by Stoner

How do I know I’m getting TYs instead of Riteks.
Software to reveal manufacturer

Yeah Bo, I know how to check made after I purchased the CDRs. Was talking about on the spot, w/ the cake in my hand. I’m sure the new Fujis are all TY since people have been pounding it into my head for the past 4 months. Getting 200 tomorrow. Mmmm… cheap TYs @ 100/$8.:bigsmile:

Yeah Bo, I know how to check made after I purchased the CDRs.

Was talking about on the spot …
Sure you do.

While on the spot, just take a close “hard” :bigsmile: look at the CDR’s ring,
it’s well known that a TY’s supposed to look like [COLOR=indigo]this, i.e. matte with the numbers imprinted abreast.
Well, you know…[/COLOR]:wink:

Yeah, that’s right! All my Plextors have blurry inside plastic, like it was sanded.

Did someone say breast?:bigsmile:

Yeah, I got the 200 Fujis, don’t have it w/ me atm though. Will check when they return, 'cause it’s on the loose right now.

Did someone say breast?:bigsmile:

Yeah, I got the 200 Fujis, don’t have it w/ me atm though. Will check when they return, 'cause it’s on the loose right now.
Now, did you get them or did not ? :confused:

1 Day Delivery from OfficeMax, huh ? :smiley:

Are these yours or not ? I want u 2 answer straight away ! :bigsmile: